Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Genius Who Helped Beat Nazis Only to be Castrated by UK to be Pardoned

Default Genius Who Helped Beat Nazis Only to be Castrated by UK to be Pardoned

Genius Who Helped Beat Nazis Only to be Castrated by UK to be Pardoned

Alan Turing, a genius codebreaker who helped the Allies defeat the Nazis only to be chemically castrated by his own country for homosexuality, will be posthumously pardoned by the UK, almost 50 years after he took his own life.

Turing, considered one of the fathers of computer science, was instrumental in cracking the German ciphers and helping the Allies listen in on German communications. After being found guilty of gross indecency and sentenced to chemical castration, Turing committed suicide only two years after his sentence was carried out.

The government has up until this point refused to pardon Turing.

Liberal Democrat Lord Sharkey has rallied on behalf of Turing to get the government to change its mind. "The government knows that Turing was a hero and a very great man," he said, announcing the pardon. "They acknowledge that he was cruelly treated. They must have seen the esteem in which he is held here and around the world."

Over 49,000 gay men, all of them now dead, were convicted under Britain's 1885 Criminal Law Amendment Act. Many of them were chemically castrated. Last year, the government refused to pardon any of them.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Poor man. Thank God we have come a long way since back then...
    Novice likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    This

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    It's about bloody time! But sadly we haven't come as far as we could have or should have done. Only last year the government refused a full pardon on the grounds that it was "not considered appropriate as Alan Turing was properly convicted of what at the time was a criminal offence", even though a massive petition was presented to them calling for it.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Poor Alan Turing. If he hadn't been hounded to death by the government (after they used him), imagine what he could have created.
    Kittylady likes this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

It's about damn time.

I am glad we've come a long way since then. I just can't imagine the hell he went through after all he did for the Allies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Alan Turing Posthumously Pardoned for 1952 Homosexuality Conviction

Alan Turing, the legendary British computer engineer and codebreaker who killed himself two years after a 1952 conviction for homosexual activity for which he was punished by chemical castration, received a royal pardon on Monday from Queen Elizabeth II.

Most famous for helping crack the German's Enigma code during World War II, Turing is also considered a father of modern computer science and the man responsible for the Turing Test, which is used to judge artificial intelligence.

"His action saved countless lives," British Prime Minister David Cameron, whose government denied Turing a pardon last year, said after the announcement. "He also left a remarkable national legacy through his substantial scientific achievements, often being referred to as the 'father of modern computing.'" Prime Minster Gordon Brown issued a former apology to Turing in 2009.

Turing was convicted on charges of gross indecency in 1952 after he admitted having sex with a man. As an alternative to prison, Turing was sentenced to chemical castration by repeated injections of female hormones. He also lost his security clearance because of the conviction. Two years later, Turing ate an apple he had laced with cyanide. He was 41.

Justice Secretary Chris Grayling, who formally requested the pardon, announced the news on Monday:

"Dr Alan Turing was an exceptional man with a brilliant mind. His brilliance was put into practice at Bletchley Park during the second world war, where he was pivotal to breaking the Enigma code, helping to end the war and save thousands of lives.

"His later life was overshadowed by his conviction for homosexual activity, a sentence we would now consider unjust and discriminatory and which has now been repealed.
    "Dr Turing deserves to be remembered and recognised for his fantastic contribution to the war effort and his legacy to science. A pardon from the Queen is a fitting tribute to an exceptional man."
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Late but better than never I guess.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I cant even with that title! Do people really have no clue who Alan Turing was?
    Novice likes this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

oh yanna, of course they don't. people are stupid.

now, if he had been a sports star.........
    Novice likes this.

about damn time.
    david cameron is a cowardly asshole.
    Kittylady and Novice like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm afraid I didn't know him, so thanks for posting this.
    I'm not proud of being ignorant, but I try to do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Over 49,000 gay men, all of them now dead, were convicted under Britain's 1885 Criminal Law Amendment Act. Many of them were chemically castrated. Last year, the government refused to pardon any of them.
    so when will all the other, nonfamous men be pardoned? their treatment was equally wrong.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

it is a damn shame what they did to Turing.

without him the Allies may not have won the war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Apparently Benedict Cumberbatch is going to play him in a movie. Between him and Anthony Hopkins it is like they are trying to play every famous person who has ever existed.
    Novice likes this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information