Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Prince Harry stood up against homophobia

Default Prince Harry stood up against homophobia

Prince Harry to homophobic soldiers: ‘Back the f--k off’

Capt. Wales stands up to gay-bashing soldiers targeting one of his men, new memoir claims

Comments (16)BY DEBORAH HASTINGS / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

MONDAY, JUNE 10, 2013, 1:00 PM

New memoir by James Wharton titled “Out In The Army: My Life as a Gay Soldier,” describes Prince Harry protecting an openly gay soldier from being beaten by homophobic rival regiment members.

Britain’s Prince Harry came to the defense of an openly gay soldier under his command, saving him from being beaten by homophobic members of a rival regiment, according to a new memoir.

In James Wharton’s “Out In The Army,” the former lance corporal describes how the Royal defended him in 2008 during war training exercises in Canada.

Six soldiers from a rival regiment had threatened to ambush him because he had relations with a fellow infantrymen, the book says.

Wharton went to Prince Harry, his tank commander, who later confronted the soldiers and told them to “back the f--k off,” Wharton says in his book, according to several British reports.

Wharton recounts the conversation with his commanding officer this way:
    'Sir, I need to talk to you.'
    POOL/REUTERS

Prince Harry, shown here in Afghanistan in 2008, intervened to save a gay soldier in his command from a homophobic attack by members of a rival squad, according to a new memoir.

'Why? What's up? Are you OK?'

Harry instantly looked concerned. I told him: 'I think I'm about to be murdered by the infantry.'

I climbed into the turret and talked Harry through exactly what had happened. He had a complete look of bewilderment on his face.

I didn't hold back: I told him everything that had gone on. I couldn't stop the tears from welling up in my eyes.

He said: 'Right. I'm going to sort this s--t out once and for all.'

Harry climbed out of the tank and started having a go. I worried he was about to make the whole thing worse, but he wasn't holding back. Prince Harry was sticking up for me and putting a stop to the trouble. I had been on track for a battering and had been rescued.
    JOHN STILLWELL/AFP/GETTY IMAGES

Prince Harry on patrol in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, in 2008, the same year he stopped rival regiment members from attacking an openly gay soldier under his command, according to the new book “Out In The Army: My Life as a Gay Soldier,” by James Wharton.

He came back ten minutes later and told me the problem had been 'sorted'.

He told me: 'I knew one of his officers and we cleared everything up. I also told those other lads to back the f--k off, too.'

The book, scheduled for release on June 24, is published by Britain’s Biteback Publishing.

Prince Harry, who entered the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in 2005, completed his officer’s training a year later.

He rose through the ranks while serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, and later trained as an attack helicopter pilot.

Capt. Wales, as he is known, returned from a 20-week mission in Afghanistan in January.

ON A MOBILE DEVICE? CLICK HERE TO SEE VIDEO
    dhastings@nydailynews.com

Read more: Prince Harry to homophobic soldiers:
    Brookie likes this.
    "Boredom's not a burden
    Anyone should bear."
    -Tool "Stinkfist"

I think it's a cool story that Harry didn't turn a blind eye to the situation. Makes me like him more.
    "Boredom's not a burden
    Anyone should bear."
    -Tool "Stinkfist"

Harry! You really are a Prince Charming. What a great thing to do. Sorted out indeed.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

that is honorable and it makes me really happy to hear it.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Nope, not at all. He has a moral and legal duty of care to his men to resolve this. He was just doing his job.
    JSP 763 - MOD Bullying and Harassment Complaints Procedures

Civilian Law Military Law and Codes - Military Law and Codes
    Joint Service Publication (JSP) 763 sets out the procedures for dealing with complaints relating to bullying and harassment. JSP 763 was updated in December 2010 and is now titled: "The MOD Bullying and Harassment Complaints Procedures – A guide for all MOD Service and Civilian personnel about making, responding to, advising on, investigating, and deciding on, complaints of bullying and harassment"

Service complaints - also referred to as ‘formal complaints’ - and civilian grievance procedures are the framework for dealing with complaints from MOD Service or civilian personnel relating to their service or employment. These are covered in JSP831.

If a complaint is related to bullying or harassment, Armed Forces and civilian personnel are to use JSP 763. The procedures set out in this publication cover only complaints of bullying and harassment by MOD Service or civilian personnel against other MOD Service or civilian personnel but exclude complaints againsts MOD Police Officers.

JSP 763 is (C) Crown Copyright 2010.
    http://www.proud2serve.net/military-...nts-procedures
    Hes still a racist prick.
    Last edited by Novice; June 13th, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
    Free Charmed.

A*O

After a very rocky start I think Hazza is finally showing signs of growing up. He obviously loves the Army and is totally in his element. He's making a real contribution, unlike most of his contemporaries.
    Laurent likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Hes still a racist prick.

Novice likes this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

A*O

That pic was taken when he was heading off the rails and before he got a clue. Like I say, he's grown up now and Im sure he'd be equally appalled at his younger, dumber self.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Well they certainly chose the most unflattering pics they could find for this article. What's wrong with the Vegas pics?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I think he seems like a decent enough guy now.

I adore him.
    gas_chick likes this.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Love me some PHG.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Elite Member

I like him, too.

A politically incorrect costume does not make someone a racist, sorry.
    I've seen loads of people wear nazi costumes, bin laden costumes, Mussolini costumes, Stalin costumes... You could accuse them of being tasteless and insensitive and politically incorrect but it does not mean they are espousing the views of the people they're dressing up as, that's ridiculous.
    A*O, gardenwitch, Sarzy and 1 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^I agree. Besides, the theme of the party he was attending-- colonial and native-- was itself tasteless, insensitive and politically incorrect. I figure Harry knew his audience, so to speak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information