• 4 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By dolem
  • 4 Post By olivia
  • 1 Post By laynes

Thread: Nike severs ties with Livestrong

Default Nike severs ties with Livestrong

Nike Chooses to Sever Its Ties With Livestrong

Kristian Dowling/Getty Images

Lance Armstrong had already lost his personal endorsement deal with Nike.

By JULIET MACUR

Published: May 28, 2013 133 Comments

Nike stuck by Tiger Woods in the wake of his infidelity and gave Michael Vick an endorsement deal after Vick had served time in prison for his role in a dogfighting ring, which included killing dogs that underperformed.

But this week, the company emphasized that there is one transgression it cannot tolerate: cheating.

In the wake of Lance Armstrong’s admission that he used performance-enhancing drugs to win his record seven Tour de France titles, Nike took another step back from Armstrong and announced that it would stop manufacturing Livestrong-brand shoes and apparel at the end of this year. Nike, Livestrong’s main corporate backer, will continue to fulfill its financial obligations to Livestrong, the cancer foundation started by Armstrong, through 2014, but will not renew the partnership, Livestrong said.

“Considering what the foundation had been through recently and the significant changes that have occurred, of course, the foundation’s leadership had to hope for the best but expect changes like this,” said Katherine McLane, a spokeswoman for Livestrong. “Obviously, it’s a sad day, but it’s marked by the foundation’s deep gratitude to Nike.”

Nike’s decision signals an end to a partnership that began nine years ago and turned Livestrong into a marketing marvel that revolutionized the way charities raise money. Armstrong’s brand also benefited. He had rebounded from testicular cancer to race the Tour again and become a global hero to millions as a symbol of hope to those fighting cancer.

Nike helped raise more than $100 million for the charity, mostly through the sale of more than 87 million yellow rubber Livestrong bracelets that cost $1 each. Those bracelets helped unite the cancer community and became ubiquitous worldwide, making it onto the wrists of Hollywood stars on the red carpet and high-powered politicians like John Kerry.

KeJuan Wilkins, a Nike spokesman, said in an e-mailed statement that the company would continue to finance Livestrong directly, but did not elaborate on how much Nike would give to Livestrong in the future.

Nike’s announcement was yet another blow to Armstrong and his once-invincible image that has been crumbling rapidly since last fall, when the United States Anti-Doping Agency published a 202-page report that provided evidence of Armstrong’s doping. The report triggered a landslide of trouble for Armstrong, who already had been barred from Olympic sports for life and had his seven Tour titles stripped from him.

He lost his Nike personal sponsorship. He stepped down as the foundation’s chairman of the board, then was ousted from the board altogether. In January, he confessed to doping during most of his career, and he faces several major lawsuits that could cost him more than $100 million.

Livestrong has been bracing for the fallout, instituting a budget reduction of nearly 11 percent from last year in case it brought in less revenue. The organization also has tried to re-brand itself by dropping the name Lance Armstrong Foundation and adopting the name Livestrong Foundation.

Earlier this month, Livestrong also launched an advertisement campaign promoting its new buzzword, StillStrong, and reminding people that the charity is still providing free services to cancer patients.

Armstrong has remained silent on Livestrong’s new direction. In a text message on Tuesday, he said he had no comment about Nike’s decision to step away from Livestrong because he was no longer associated with either organization.

A version of this article appeared in print on May 29, 2013, on page B13 of the New York edition with the headline: Nike Chooses to Sever Its Ties With Livestrong.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/sp...rong.html?_r=0

I get why Nike wants to cut all remaining ties with Armstrong, but them staying in bed with Michael Vick truly disgusts me.
    KrisNine likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I agree laurent, I hate Nike because of their ties to Vick. They may have also cut Lance because of his love of getting his ass eaten out.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Fuck Nike. Armstrong's crimes don't even compare with Vick.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/sp...rong.html?_r=0

I get why Nike wants to cut all remaining ties with Armstrong, but them staying in bed with Michael Vick truly disgusts me.
    Me too. Vick is such an asshole. I despise Nike for staying with him. I won't buy anything Nike, much to my son's displeasure. Its the principle of my love for animals. not one penny of my money goes to a company who backs such an animal abusing prick.
    Quazar, Laurent, gas_chick and 1 others like this.

"So, all of a sudden April Macie walks in the bathroom, and her poor friend is leaning over like this....."

Fuck Nike. They will never get a dime from me as long as Vick is a spokesman.
    gas_chick and Laurent like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Even after he's long gone, I still will not give them money just for the fact that they kept him in the first place.
    gas_chick likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Maybe if Vick had given his dogs performance enhancing drugs it would be all different????
    SHELLEE likes this.
    Free Charmed.

if i were to play devil's advocate i'd say the difference is vick was tried and went to prison and paid for his crimes, whereas douchestrong denied and lied and intimidated for years and even when he was caught out and did his stupid tv interview, he couldn't even bring himself to fully confess to what he did.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I wonder if they renamed the employee athletic center that was named after Lance? I agree with Sput re. Vick. He's a terrible person, obviously, but he did the time. Lance was an asshole for years and lied to everyone. He'd still be lying today if he hadn't been called out on it.
    olivia likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    if i were to play devil's advocate i'd say the difference is vick was tried and went to prison and paid for his crimes, whereas douchestrong denied and lied and intimidated for years and even when he was caught out and did his stupid tv interview, he couldn't even bring himself to fully confess to what he did.
    Nike is in the business of promoting sports, not animal advocacy. If one of their representatives cheated in the field, that contradicts their message. I'm glad they are distancing themselves from Lance's fake charity. They should have a long time ago.

That said, I haven't bought Nike in a couple decades, since the Jordan years, because they've been a disgusting brand for ages with horrible ethical standards. That, and their shoes suck balls.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    Nike is in the business of promoting sports, not animal advocacy. If one of their representatives cheated in the field, that contradicts their message. I'm glad they are distancing themselves from Lance's fake charity. They should have a long time ago.

That said, I haven't bought Nike in a couple decades, since the Jordan years, because they've been a disgusting brand for ages with horrible ethical standards. That, and their shoes suck balls.
    I haven't worn a Nike running shoe since about 1984 and Air Pegasus, which provided utterly no foot stability. Disappointed!

i don't own any nike and i don't think i ever have so i don't really care who gives them money but they're a sports company so it does make sense to me that the one crime they can't forgive is cheating at sports.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm a Nike whore even though I'm conflicted about it. Their workout pants make almost every ass look good.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

No. Being an athletic company doesn't mean that all of your other morals go out the window. Vick killed dogs with his bare hands. I don't care if he did the time.. how Nike can look at him and think it's ok to use him as a spokesperson/role model for their brand is disgusting. Lance is a dick, and shouldn't be repping the brand, I agree. But at least the Armstrong Foundation raised millions for cancer. What the eff has Vick done?
    Rusalka likes this.

Thread Information