Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Massive Tornado (F5) Hits Oklahoma City...

Default Massive Tornado (F5) Hits Oklahoma City...

'Major damage' as huge tornado rips through neighborhoods south of Oklahoma City

Raw video contains aerial shots of a neighborhood and school near Moore, Oklahoma after a tornado touched down. Footage from affiliate KFOR.

By Erin McClam, Staff Writer, NBC News
    A monster tornado ripped through southern Oklahoma City and the suburb of Moore on Monday afternoon, leaving homes and schools in ruins and fires burning out of control.
    There was no immediate word on casualties, but aerial footage showed major destruction: homes in rubble, cars flipped over and crushed, residents milling around in shock.
    "A large part of the community has been affected," Jayme Shelton, a spokesman for Moore, told MSNBC.
    A forecaster for NBC station KFOR said the tornado was kicking up a debris cloud about 2 miles wide as it tracked east into residential neighborhoods in the Moore area.

Oklahoma City police told NBC News southern portions of the city as well as the Moore suburb sustained "major damage... a lot of damage."
    Two elementary schools were heavily damaged, possibly completely destroyed, KFOR reported. Those schools are Briarwood Elementary in Oklahoma City and Plaza Towers Elementary in Moore, Okla.
    Tens of millions of people in the Midwest are on edge as forecasters warn severe conditions could continue for the next couple days. NBC News' Jay Gray reports.

It appeared, however, as if the twister was dissipating and would miss the downtown area, The Weather Channel reported.
    Watch live video of storms from KFOR TV
    Parts of the Oklahoma City metropolitan area remained under a tornado warning. Video from a KFOR helicopter showed what appeared to be a clearly defined tornado touching down outside the city.
    Tens of millions of people from Texas to the Great Lakes were warned to brace for severe weather one day after a tornado outbreak killed two elderly men in Oklahoma and turned a trailer park into splinters.
    The gravest threat appeared to be in Oklahoma and parts of Missouri, but forecasters warned that strong storms, damaging wind and pounding hail were possible as far north as Minnesota and Wisconsin.
    In all, an area covering 55 million people was under risk of severe weather, the National Weather Service said.
    Slideshow: Tornadoes ravage Plains

Bill Waugh / Reuters
    A vast area of the central U.S. was warned to prepare for storms on Monday, after tornadoes killed one and injured 21 in Oklahoma and also hit Iowa and Kansas.

Launch slideshow

On Sunday, twisters killed two men in Shawnee, Okla., ages 79 and 76, and injured 21 others. The state medical examiner confirmed the second death Monday morning.
    The storms also destroyed mobile homes, flipped trucks and sent people across 100 miles running for cover. In Kansas, a weather forecaster was forced off the air as a tornado bore down on his station.
    “You can see where there’s absolutely nothing, then there are places where you have mobile home frames on top of each other, debris piled up,” Mike Booth, the sheriff of Pottawatomie County, Okla., told The Associated Press. “It looks like there’s been heavy equipment in there on a demolition tour.”
    The weather service office in Norman even posted a Twitter alert warning of a tornado about to strike one town:
    612pm - Large tornado west of Pink! Take cover RIGHT NOW in Pink! DO NOT WAIT! #okwx
    — NWS Norman (@NWSNorman) May 19, 2013
    Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin declared a state of emergency for 16 counties. In Edmond, Randy Grau said he looked out a window and saw what he thought was a flock of birds heading down the street.
    “Then I realized it was swirling debris,” he told The Weather Channel. “That’s when we shut the door of the safe room.”
    In Wichita, Kan., a tornado touched down near the airport. Two tornadoes touched down Sunday night outside Des Moines, Iowa.
    The storm system is making a slow march east. Severe storms will threaten the same part of the country Tuesday and parts of the Northeast on Wednesday, the weather service said.

'Major damage' as huge tornado rips through neighborhoods south of Oklahoma City - U.S. News
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

There's a video attached to the link. It just wouldn't post for me.
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

My God, this is horrific.Weather people are saying this is the worlds worst tornado is the history of tracking them.Children missing.Over 100 horses dead at one farm. Any Oklahoma people here, I'm so sorry for your losses. I'm speechless. Be safe.

This was one BIG fucking tornado - I heard 2 miles wide.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

i am here now.. Plaza Tower elementary in Moore has many missing kids.. there were around 75 kids/teachers in there and maybe 30 have been found.. they've gone into search and rescue mode trying to find them.. one teacher laid herself over 3-6 kids saving them but she is in really bad shape 4th, 5th and 6th graders were moved to church before tornado, the younger kids weren't so lucky, mostly 3rd graders missing.. whole neighborhoods gone.. fire in many.. a high school was hit too but have heard the kids there are ok.. 75 - 100 horses gone from a local farm.. they are saying here it's the worst tornado in terms of devastation in the history of the world.. i really hope that's not true.. Shawnee has been hit pretty bad too.. No cell service in affected areas.. total devastation

http://kfor.com/on-air/live-streaming/
    Last edited by PrincessMoFo; May 20th, 2013 at 06:48 PM.

I'm watching the coverage now and listening to the search at the school. I hope they find all of the children alive. It's horrific.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    I'm watching the coverage now and listening to the search at the school. I hope they find all of the children alive. It's horrific.
    i am too.. my main focus is on that school.. I left work early and got my son because of the hail and how awful it was outside i was scared.. it was black outside for sometime.. i mostly got hail damage to my car and house and am thankful where i am at wasn't as badly affected..

I'm watching on NBC - there's literally nothing left. Nothing. So horrible. So sorry...
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Is that you son's school, PrincessMoFo?

Watching this now. Unbelievable devastation. People are just walking around dazed, no homes left. And those folks are lucky because they survived. My heart goes out to all affected.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

No but at the time i left it was bad here.. thankfully a tornado didn't touch down but the signs were there so i said FU work and left.

So glad that you and family are safe, Princess. I was just hearing about the mother and 7 month old that they were searching for that they found that didn't make it. It's just heart-breaking.

yeah i was listening to that too.. the death toll is going to be high I fear. We have great warnings but really no where to go.. no basements hardly any storm shelters because of the red clay earth it's just too expensive to build for the most part i guess.. i don't know.. i would have no place to go if one was heading toward me but a closet in my hosue ... FYI they have deployed 80 National Gaurds to secure the area and help in search and rescue

There's several reasons they don't build many basements here. You don't have to dig too deep before you hit bedrock, and most of Oklahoma has a pretty high water table too. Also, there's no frost line to speak of, so they don't have to anchor the foundations as deep as they do further north.

The damage in Moore just looks unreal. This storm is so close to the one that hit them in 1999, it even followed the same path east along the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by VeraGemini View Post

The damage in Moore just looks unreal. This storm is so close to the one that hit them in 1999, it even followed the same path east along the highway.
    yeah it did pretty much follow the same path and it's worse then the May 3rd tornado from what i'm hearing.. Growing up we were always taught tornadoes follow a certain path and so far it's held up in what i've seen growing up.. not just moore there are other smaller cities that are routinely hit along the same routes..

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information