Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Same Sex Marriage Legalised in New Zealand

A*O

Default Same Sex Marriage Legalised in New Zealand

Kiwis are very enlightened. New Zealand was the first country to allow votes for women.

From today's Melbourne Age:

The New Zealand Parliament voted to legalise same-sex marriage on Wednesday night, a move Australian campaigners said would encourage gay and lesbian couples to travel overseas to formalise their relationships.

The national director of Australian Marriage Equality, Rodney Croome, said as many as 1000 couples had indicated to his organisation they were prepared to travel to New Zealand to marry.

''Most Australian same-sex partners would prefer to marry the person they love in the country they love but, now that marriage equality is only three hours away, there will be a flood of couples flying to New Zealand to tie the knot and spend their money,'' Mr Croome said.

Votes taken before Wednesday night's final poll showed strong support for the bill. Its passing makes New Zealand the 13th country to legalise marriage for gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual and intersex couples.

The bill is particularly meaningful for transgender people who had been forced to divorce when they changed their gender. Under the changes, they will no longer have to do so.

Australian couples will be free to marry in New Zealand because marriage laws have no residency requirement.

However, Australian law does not recognise same-sex marriages entered into overseas.

Federal Parliament last year narrowly voted down a private member's bill sponsored by Labor MP Stephen Jones, which would have legalised same-sex marriage.

Labor MPs were allowed a conscience vote on the bill but Coalition MPs had to vote according to the party position, which was to oppose same-sex marriage.

Earlier this year Liberal MP Kelly O'Dwyer suggested the Coalition had not yet decided on the same-sex marriage policy it would take to the election.

Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young said the New Zealand change was ''a great step forward''.

''It's time for the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition to stop holding up marriage equality here in Australia,'' Senator Hanson-Young said.

NATIONS WHERE SAME-SEX MARRIAGE IS LEGAL:

Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Iceland, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Uruguay.

SAME-SEX MARRIAGE LEGISLATION PENDING:

Britain, France.

DIFFERENT RULES:

Same-sex marriage is allowed in nine US states, Washington DC, and parts of Brazil and Mexico.
    SuriCruise and Brookie like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Onya Kiwis! Now it's time for us to drag ourselves into the 21st century and do the same, but it won't happen with this supposed left wing government and even less likely if the Mad Monk comes to power.
    greysfang and McJag like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

A*O

Juliar doesn't support gay marriage either which is odd for several reasons [wink, wink]
    Dame Edna Everage

Congratulations New Zealand! Gillard has already stated that her views on same sex marriage are unchanged and I assume Abbott will be the same. Australia stays in the dark ages a little bit longer. *insert shocked face*
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Julia's opinion is based on votes and keeping her independents happy - I'm sure she doesn't give an actual shit about who marries who. Abbott truly believes the gays will defile the sanctity of his marriage with all of their happy and secure loving relationships being legitimised.
    Sleuth likes this.

Awesome! Glad people are finally waking the hell up.
    Seth82 likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Go, NZ!
    Seth82 likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Glad to be a Kiwi today! Really glad they passed it.
    Brookie and faithanne like this.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Juliar doesn't support gay marriage either which is odd for several reasons [wink, wink]
    yeah i lost all respect for her when she said she was opposed to it. not that i had much respect for her to begin with but she's still better than that evil cunt howard.

but this just proves once again how much cooler kiwis are than aussies. sorry, aussies. but it's true.

also, parliament broke into song after passing the bill.

faithanne and SuriCruise like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

I love NZ (population only 4 million) but wouldn't want to live there. Neither, it seems, do most Kiwis who leave in droves to live and work overseas. It's a stunningly beautiful country (think Lord Of The Rings) but seems stuck in a kind of 1950s time warp which is charming for visitors but drives many locals away for the bright lights elsewhere.
    Dame Edna Everage

I watched that with my dad yesterday I think it was, we shed a wee tear. Well done NZ, you are awesome.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    but this just proves once again how much cooler kiwis are than aussies. sorry, aussies. but it's true.

also, parliament broke into song after passing the bill.
    Don't apologise for the truth. I'm embarassed to be Australian sometimes, what with this and the way we treat refugees (and general racism).

That song always gives me chills.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I love NZ (population only 4 million) but wouldn't want to live there. Neither, it seems, do most Kiwis who leave in droves to live and work overseas. It's a stunningly beautiful country (think Lord Of The Rings) but seems stuck in a kind of 1950s time warp which is charming for visitors but drives many locals away for the bright lights elsewhere.
    Oi! *shakes fist*

If you're in a main centre it's a lot like being in Aus except much less traffic and in Auckland you can have the beach 2 minutes away and a short commute to the city. Colder though Lifestyle seems really similar to Aus to me, just smaller. Definitely not a place for the bright lights of the big city when you're young, but Australia isn't really ideal for that either, too similar imo.

It was pretty awesome how excited a lot of people are about this. I'm glad it's finally gone through.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Most kiwis I know come over when they're young and stay, but a few have done the Sydney/London/back to NZ to marry and settle down but they're usually the ones from wealthy backgrounds who get jobs in family businesses. There aren't as many opportunities in NZ which is why so many come here and never leave. Two of my oldest friends are from Wellington.

i think it's similar to Tasmania - small, beautiful and colder than the rest of Oz.

Off topic, but how is the job market in Aus? That is definitely something NZ is failing at. If you have a decent job though, it is a good place to live. I definitely plan to live there after working more overseas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information