Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Jehovah Witness dad battles school district

Default Jehovah Witness dad battles school district

A Southern California man claims his daughter was forced to sing songs in class that violate her religious beliefs.
    Paul Salcedo’s daughter is in the third grade at Rosebank Elementary School in Chula Vista, Calif.
    Salcedo objects to his daughter, who is a Jehovah’s Witness, singing the songs "My Country 'Tis of Thee," "This Land is Your Land" and "You're a Grand Ol' Flag."

"That's a part of the religion too. They don't salute the flag. They don't sing those types of songs. That's their right," Salcedo said.
    Salcedo, whose wife is a Jehovah's Witness, got emotional when he discussed how his daughter said she was forced to sing the songs.
    "It's my kids. I gotta protect them," Salcedo said. "I mean, they're not going to. I'm the only one who's going to be their voice."
    Other points of conflict between the family and the school included a Halloween-based curriculum and valentines distributed in class.
    Salcedo they had an agreement between the principal and the teacher that his daughter would be excused during those songs.

Now, he said the trust between parent and educators has been broken.

"It’s a violation of the law. We have those civil rights and it’s already been brought to their attention of our beliefs and our practices," Salcedo said.
    The Chula Vista Elementary School District disputes Salcedo's account.
    "We don't see these songs as being anything other than folk songs," said Anthony Millican, the spokesperson for the Chula Vista Elementary School District.
    "The child has not been required to sing these songs at any point," Millican said adding that the schools will not stop teaching the folks songs.
    The district has offered options to parents who want to their children not to participate he said.
    "We are sensitive to the needs of every student, so we're looking to find a reasonable solution," Millican said.

The district says they're also excusing the child from social studies class during certain topics.
    A meeting scheduled Tuesday between all the parties was canceled because Salcedo wanted to record the discussion.
    He said his wife planned to sit in on the music lesson on Wednesday to observe.
    The family has considered private education and homeschooling, but Salcedo said those options were not financially possible.

wow is all i got.

Dad Battles School Over Child Singing Patriotic Songs | NBC 7 San Diego
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I really feel for this guy. My family are devout Satanists and I thought I had an agreement with the Principal that both of my kids would be excused from class when good grades are given out, positive behavior is acknowledged, someone is getting ready to smile, or when history classes get to the part where armistices and treaties have been reached.

home school your damn kid if it's such an issue
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Suck it up princess! Sometimes we have to do shit in school that we don't particularly agree with. I am a devout athiest and have had to sit through prayer, songs and religious activities in a public school. Just get on with it. It won't kill you to experience different things.
    shedevilang, stef and Snarker like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Salcedo, whose wife is a Jehovah's Witness, got emotional when he discussed how his daughter said she was forced to sing the songs.
    "It's my kids. I gotta protect them," Salcedo said. "I mean, they're not going to. I'm the only one who's going to be their voice."
    Of all the evils he has to "protect" his children from, he's chosen This Land Is Your Land? Fuck off. You live in the United States, so guess what? At some point, your kids might be exposed to American folk songs. Same thing happens in every country on earth. Oh well.

Anyway, I don't really get what he's hoping to achieve here. The kids are already excused from saying the pledge, singing songs, and social studies class, what more does he want? Why you'd want your kid to grow up ignorant is beyond me, shouldn't they be learning about these things so you can tell them how evil everything is when they get home from school?
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Joy stealers. 3rd geaders love singing anything,any day. Highly doubtful the actual lyrics are ever correct. Who cares?
    SHELLEE and Lalique like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

This Land Is Your Land? Really, a Woody Guthrie song is a problem? I'm surprised there isn't a movement to ban it.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but jw drive me insane. Besides having been woken up by them, I find (at least the ones I know) to be hypocritical. I worked with one and she would never contribute anything to our holiday parties, but would eat all the food the next day because it wasn't the day of the party. As if that made any fucking difference. I put a stop to that real quick. She would also buy the Easter candy the day after at half price because it was no longer Easter. What the hell kind of sense is that. Birthday cake the day after was also okay to eat. Wtf?
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but jw drive me insane. Besides having been woken up by them, I find (at least the ones I know) to be hypocritical. I worked with one and she would never contribute anything to our holiday parties, but would eat all the food the next day because it wasn't the day of the party. As if that made any fucking difference. I put a stop to that real quick. She would also buy the Easter candy the day after at half price because it was no longer Easter. What the hell kind of sense is that. Birthday cake the day after was also okay to eat. Wtf?
    I've noticed a lot of religious people finding ways around their own rules, too. I mean, it's one thing to say, yeah, I eat cake so what? But it's another thing to be self-righteous about it and then act like it's a whole different ballgame the next day when it's convenient for them. A lot of Amish people are like this too, they won't drive a car, but think nothing of asking for rides all over the place, they've worked it out that it's OK as long as they don't own or operate the car. It makes no sense to me.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

If I had to read the torture that is Ethan Frome, she can sing This Land is Your Land, ffs.
    Dean James and Mercer like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I was raised JW, and I tell ya what...I still have bad memories of having to leave class when Christmas carols were sang, or it was someone's bday and I couldn't be present when they sang or passed out the damn cupcakes. And the pledge, well, I just had to stand there silently cause they did that every day. Every holiday was like torture cause I got along really well with the kids in class until this crap (my religious limitations) came up. Then I was the odd man out. My parents didn't make a HUGE deal out of it, but there def were meetings and understandings of what was and wasn't acceptable for my brother and I to participate in. It sucked ass! Whatever their beliefs, or the parents' beliefs, I feel bad for those kids cause I guarantee you there are parts of them that just want to be normal and part of the group.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

WTF kind of religion doesn't let you eat cake?!?!? That's just evil!
    nancydrew likes this.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    I was raised JW, and I tell ya what...I still have bad memories of having to leave class when Christmas carols were sang, or it was someone's bday and I couldn't be present when they sang or passed out the damn cupcakes. And the pledge, well, I just had to stand there silently cause they did that every day. Every holiday was like torture cause I got along really well with the kids in class until this crap (my religious limitations) came up. Then I was the odd man out. My parents didn't make a HUGE deal out of it, but there def were meetings and understandings of what was and wasn't acceptable for my brother and I to participate in. It sucked ass! Whatever their beliefs, or the parents' beliefs, I feel bad for those kids cause I guarantee you there are parts of them that just want to be normal and part of the group.
    Yeah, me too nwgirl. I'm still pissed off about it. Of all the things going on in the world and your religion is most worried about holding 1 day above another it is time to reexamine your religion.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post

This just makes me sad.

We use to sing it in school so much that someone made up a new version of it: This land ain't your land, this land is my land. From California to the New York Islands. If you don't get off, I'll blow your head off. This land is private property. Funny the things 3rd graders will make up.
    Last edited by darksithbunny; March 14th, 2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: ???
    dilligaf, Lalique and Fairy like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information