Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Expectant NYC parents killed in car crash, baby survives

Default Expectant NYC parents killed in car crash, baby survives

Expectant NYC parents killed in car crash on way to hospital, baby survives

New York (CNN) -- A midnight car crash in New York killed two expectant parents who were heading to the hospital. But the baby was rescued by cesarean section and is in critical condition, police say.

Nathan and Raizy Gluber, both 21, were riding in a livery cab in Brooklyn. Another car, a BMW, crashed into the cab at an intersection, slamming into its side, at about 12:10 a.m. Sunday.

The two occupants of the BMW fled the scene on foot and are being sought by police.

The driver of the cab, a Toyota Corolla, was taken to the hospital and is in stable condition, police say.

The Glubers were soon pronounced dead at two different hospitals, said Sgt. Tom Antonetti, a police spokesman.

Bellevue Hospital performed a C-section to rescue the baby.

At the time of the crash, the couple were on the way to Long Island College Hospital "for a wellness check," said Officer Sophia Tassy-Mason, a spokeswoman for the New York City Police Department.

"It was sudden," said Sarah Gluck, Raizy Gluber's cousin. "She just wasn't feeling well and they just, they went to check it out."

The couple had been married for less than a year, said Barry Sekete, a cousin of one of the victims.

"It's terrible," he told CNN affiliate New York 1. "They're ... not even married a year, and you know they're going into the happiest times, to have a baby, and that's what happens. Terrible."

The crash brought heartache to the Hasidic community.

The young Orthodox Jewish couple were "preparing for the most joyous moment in life, to become parents, ready to build a castle to the future and build a family," said Isaac Abraham, a community leader and neighbor of the couple.

The community is working to make sure the baby boy gets all the medical attention he needs, Abraham said.

The child will be taken care of by family, friends, and the community, he said.

"The message to the driver: We know law enforcement is going to get to you," Abraham to CNN affliate WABC. "But our message is give yourself up before we find you."

Investigators were talking with the car's registered owner on Sunday, Tassy-Mason said. Tassy-Mason said she did not know whether the vehicle had been stolen or what the relationship

Expectant parents killed in car crash on way to hospital, baby survives - CNN.com

Can't believe. Hope they catch the murderers. So sad.
    Last edited by mtlebay; March 3rd, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
    Go Habs Go!!

That's so sad both parents died and the kid survived.

I saw this story earlier today and it was so incredibly sad. I hope whoever did it comes forward.

The driver of the cab, a Toyota Corolla, was taken to the hospital and is in stable condition, police say.
    That sentence seems wrong to me, like the driver of the cab is named Toyota Corolla. Anyway, he must feel terrible, too. Not to mention, he's a victim as well, for all we know he'll have lifelong problems from this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Just sad all the way around. The parents were young people themselves - both 21 years old.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

A*O

I bet they weren't wearing seat belts. Are they mandatory in NY? They are here.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I bet they weren't wearing seat belts. Are they mandatory in NY? They are here.
    Surprisingly, no they aren't mandatory.

Seat belt use is not required in taxis or livery vehicles, emergency vehicles, 1964 or older vehicles, or by passengers in buses other than school buses (seat belt use may be required by the school district). Rural letter Carriers are also exempt while they are delivering mail.
    NYS DMV - (Brochure) New York State's Seat Belt Law
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlebay View Post

"The message to the driver: We know law enforcement is going to get to you," Abraham to CNN affliate WABC. "But our message is give yourself up before we find you."

Is this just clunky writing or did this guy just publicly threaten the driver of the other car?

This just rips your heart in two. Poor babe,I hope he makes it.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Heartbreaking. I hope the little guy makes it and that they find the driver of the BMW.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

The wedding picture. Amazing.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtlebay View Post
    Can't believe. Hope they catch the murderers. So sad.
    This is awful, and I hope the baby and cab driver will be all right. But I find your wording troubling and alarmist. First of all, this would be manslaughter charge, not murder. Likely also fleeing the scene, failing to render aid, and who knows what else an industrious DA can make stick. Second, there's only one driver and one person to be charged with manslaughter, so no sense using the plural. The passenger will probably get some of the other charges, as well, but not for murder or manslaughter. We'll see if they're smart enough to come in looking for immunity in exchange for the driver's name.
    twitchy2.0 and analyzer like this.

The mother was beautiful. How horribly sad for everyone involved.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

If the car was stolen, it's not only murder, it's felony murder.

What a sad story. I hope the baby and the cabbie recover well.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by juggernautofsin View Post
    This is awful, and I hope the baby and cab driver will be all right. But I find your wording troubling and alarmist. First of all, this would be manslaughter charge, not murder. Likely also fleeing the scene, failing to render aid, and who knows what else an industrious DA can make stick. Second, there's only one driver and one person to be charged with manslaughter, so no sense using the plural. The passenger will probably get some of the other charges, as well, but not for murder or manslaughter. We'll see if they're smart enough to come in looking for immunity in exchange for the driver's name.
    Please don't read so much into whether I used the correct labelling of 'murder' or 'manslaughter' (just woke up from a nap), as the point I simply wanted to convey was that the driver of the BMW took two young lives and potentially two more and fled the scene of the accident. I left it as plural as I'm also bringing down the passenger because they also bolted w/ the driver (e.g. they could have stayed behind or encouraged the driver as it's the right thing).

Anyhoo, how those two will sleep tonight is beyond me. Hopefully their conscience will get them to come forward, if not, karma has its own ways of working.
    Go Habs Go!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information