Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By greysfang
  • 1 Post By Froogy

Thread: Conn. Amber Alert canceled after grandmother & grandkids found dead in murder/suicide

Default Conn. Amber Alert canceled after grandmother & grandkids found dead in murder/suicide

I don't know if anyone has been following this story, but it turned out horribly. After our discussion in the Mindy McCready thread, I thought it might be a related discussion to mental health. According to the article the woman was mentally ill with bipolar disorder and depression. Obviously two children are not a pet, but if it's the same concept of taking someone you love with you because in your mentally ill mind you're doing the right thing, does it mitigate what she did somewhat or not at all? Even if she was getting treatment and seemed better, should the parents have kept her off the pick-up list, regardless?

Ashton And Alton Perry, Missing Boys, And Grandmother Found Dead In Connecticut

By PAT EATON-ROBB 02/27/13 03:56 PM ET EST

PRESTON, Conn. — A woman who picked up her two young grandsons from daycare and was supposed to bring them home so the 2-year-old could open his birthday presents instead drove them to a neighboring town and shot and killed the children and herself, state police and family members said.

The bodies of 47-year-old Debra Denison and her grandsons, 2-year-old Alton Perry and 6-month-old Ashton Perry, were found Tuesday night in a car parked near Lake of Isles in Preston, in the southeastern part of the state.

State police called the deaths a double murder-suicide Wednesday, saying they believe Denison shot the boys and herself. Autopsies were planned.

Family members said Denison, the boys' maternal grandmother, had a history of mental health problems. Marcia White, a paternal great-grandmother of the slain boys, said Denison struggled with bouts of depression but seemed to be doing well lately. The boys' parents told WVIT-TV that Denison had split personalities and WFSB-TV reported that family members described her as having bipolar disorder.

Tuesday was Alton's second birthday. Denison picked up the children from their daycare in North Stonington Tuesday afternoon and was supposed to bring them home so Alton could open his presents, family members said.

"I wanted him to come home and play with his new toys and have a good day," Alton's mother, Brenda Perry, told WVIT-TV.

The grandmother was friendly and talkative when she picked up the children and did not give any indication of distress, according to Nikki Salaun, director of the Kidds & Co. daycare center in North Stonington.

Salaun and daycare center co-owner Christine Hare said the boys' mother worked at the daycare center herself a couple years and had mentioned that the grandmother had a history of mental health troubles. They said they keep going over the pickup in their minds but there is nothing they could have done differently.

"Brenda obviously put her on the list thinking she would be OK," Hare said. "We go with the parents. We can't override their wishes. Obviously if she had come here obviously distraught, we would have intervened."

After helping Denison to her van with the children, they discovered she had taken the wrong car seat. When they could not get in touch with her by phone, they alerted the boys' mother, and police soon issued an alert.

Marcia White, a paternal great-grandmother of the slain boys, said Denison insisted on picking the children up alone even when their mother asked her to bring along another relative. White says Denison's struggles with mental health were well known and Perry told Denison the boys were too much for her to handle.

White said Perry told her that Denison asked to pick the boys up to be with Alton on his birthday.

"She was apparently very convincing," White said.

Denison also had a 13-year-year-old son and, in her suicide note, she said in part that God was watching over him on Tuesday, White said.

In Facebook postings late Tuesday and Wednesday morning, Brenda Perry thanked people for their prayers and said she loved her sons.

"God (has) two beautiful angels helping him now," the postings said. "My boys are in an amazing place we got a few great angels watching over us. love you Ashton and alton."

On Monday she wrote: "So excited making mini cupcakes and play dough for Altons day tomorrow can't believe 2 years old already. So blessed"

A man who answered the door at the couple's home on Wednesday declined to comment to an Associated Press reporter. A man at the address listed for Denison said the family is asking for people to keep their distance.

Denison was armed with a gun when she left her home Tuesday afternoon and had permission to pick up the boys from daycare, state police spokesman Lt. J. Paul Vance said.

The bodies were found at about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, about two hours after state police issued a statewide Amber Alert for Denison and the boys.

Salaun, the daycare center director, said both children were very happy. Alton was always laughing and smiling was nicknamed "the greeter" because he always went to see visitors at the door while other children hung back.

"He would never get close, but he would come right up and look at you like, `Hey, look at me,'" she said. "He was definitely a personality in the program."

Denison had two convictions for minor driving offenses, said Peggy Muckle, a clerk at New London Superior Court. She was fined $35 in 2003 for following too closely and, in 2004, she pleaded guilty to reckless driving but a judge did not require her to pay the $100 fine.

____

Associated Press writers Michael Melia and Dave Collins contributed to this report from Hartford, Conn.
    Ashton And Alton Perry, Missing Boys, And Grandmother Found Dead In Connecticut
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Bipolar and fucking evil are two different things. This bitch was evil.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

This is horrible. I'm not sure I'd have my mentally unstable parent picking up my kids with a relative or alone.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

This is just beyond horrible.

Family members said Denison, the boys' maternal grandmother, had a history of mental health problems. Marcia White, a paternal great-grandmother of the slain boys, said Denison struggled with bouts of depression but seemed to be doing well lately.
    So often I notice people say this, that someone has had a history of mental illness, but people around the mentally ill person claim they've been doing better lately. Clearly, they aren't doing better, but what I'm wondering is if that's some kind of off-their-meds backslide or if these people become calmer and more focused when they've devised one of these horrific plans.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

^^
    could be both.
    i've often heard people say that when someone has made that final decision to kill themselves, they're actually much calmer and 'serene' in the days leading up to it, which is why it's oftentimes such a shock to those around them.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    but if it's the same concept of taking someone you love with you because in your mentally ill mind you're doing the right thing, does it mitigate what she did somewhat or not at all? Even if she was getting treatment and seemed better, should the parents have kept her off the pick-up list, regardless?
    i don't know. i don't think we'll ever know enough about this case to make that call. we don't know what she was like, we don't know what her relationship to her daughter and son-in-law was like. she could have been a sweet grandma who struggled with mental illness and in her mind this made sense, or she could have been a total bitch with mental illness who decided to 'punish' her daughter and son-in-law in the worst possible way and remove herself from the picture so they couldn't even hold her responsible.
    i think every single case is different.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Clearly, they aren't doing better, but what I'm wondering is if that's some kind of off-their-meds backslide or if these people become calmer and more focused when they've devised one of these horrific plans.
    That's a good question. I've read that sometimes when someone has made the firm decision to end their life, they seem calmer and almost happier to have come to a decision and have a fixed plan ahead of them on how to end their pain. It reads as "better" to friends and family, which is horrible to think about - that someone you care for is only feeling better because they've decided on how to die and when. And then to have misread the situation and have them kill not only themselves but someone else you love too must be excruciating and produce all kinds of guilt.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i don't know. i don't think we'll ever know enough about this case to make that call. we don't know what she was like, we don't know what her relationship to her daughter and son-in-law was like. she could have been a sweet grandma who struggled with mental illness and in her mind this made sense, or she could have been a total bitch with mental illness who decided to 'punish' her daughter and son-in-law in the worst possible way and remove herself from the picture so they couldn't even hold her responsible.
    Very true. I've read in several places today a lot of hatred and viciousness directed her way (which I can understand how people feel b/c it's a horrible thing to have happen) and a lot of blaming the parents for having her on the pick-up list or having anything to do with her at all. It's hard to know what you might do in that situation, and hopefully none of us will ever know personally.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Those poor parents.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Well said.

This is just heartbreaking, those poor parents. I don't know how you could ever recover from something like that.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I agree with Sputnik that a number of people who do these things seem calm because they have already decided to make this move and for that reason people are even more thrown off by what happens.

I think but could be wrong that the missing part of the story is how the custody and pickup arrangements worked for the family. For example, did the kids' mom (and the kids) live with the grandmother? If so, she probably would have been on the pickup list. Most daycare and school facilities won't let anyone pick up a child who isn't on the list of approved pickup people. And she just as easily could have shot everyone back at home.

Second, it often seems to me like depressed parents who shoot their kids somehow rationalize that nobody would be around to take care of the kids after they kill themselves, so they might as well kill the kids, too. Except that there was a mom waiting back at home for them. And why did she not drive back home, and then kill her daughter and her 13-year-old? Why just take these two kids and do this? It seems like a lot of the story is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    This is horrible. I'm not sure I'd have my mentally unstable parent picking up my kids with a relative or alone.
    This time 1,000,000
    rockchick likes this.

When you've made the decision to kill yourself, it feels like the all the troubles in the world have finally fallen from your shoulders. Your concerns are lifted; you aren't weighed down any more with worries/fears/anxieties.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Second, it often seems to me like depressed parents who shoot their kids somehow rationalize that nobody would be around to take care of the kids after they kill themselves, so they might as well kill the kids, too. Except that there was a mom waiting back at home for them. And why did she not drive back home, and then kill her daughter and her 13-year-old? Why just take these two kids and do this? It seems like a lot of the story is missing.
    Yeah. I don't feel this is a close parallel to the McCready example; Mindy shot the her dead boyfriend's dog. This grandmother killed her (living) daughter's sons, and left her own young son behind. Feels more deliberate/malicious, in my opinion.
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

Thread Information