Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Rain of spiders filmed in Brazil

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Default Rain of spiders filmed in Brazil

The jaw-dropping moment a Brazilian stepped outside and found it was raining SPIDERS

• Video shows spiders appearing to rain down - but are actually suspended via a huge web
    • Anelosimus eximius, a rare 'social' spider form large webs which can be caught by wind and 'dropped' in unusual places

It is an arachnophobes worst night - stepping outside to find it is 'raining' spiders.
    The astonishing sight was captured on video by Santo Antonio da Platina, a town about 250 miles west of Sao Paulo, by local resident Erick Reis, a 20 year old web designer.
    'I was shooting an engagement party for some friends of mine and I saw the spiders when I was leaving, now in the late afternoon,' he told local TV station TV450000, which posted the footage to YouTube.

The astonishing video reveals a sky full of small spiders. The animals, one of the very few social species of spider, form swarms of upto 50,000 insects

The video zooms in on the spiders, revealing just how many there are. The animals are one of the very few species of spider that are sociable

A SOCIAL SPIDER

Scientists have found around 40,000 species of spiders around the world - but only 23 species are scattered around the world that are known to swarm, like ants or bees.

Females often outnumber males 10 to 1 in colonies that can exceed 50,000 individuals.
    The species’ webs can stretch from the ground up to tree canopies or human constructions 65 feet high.

'I've never seen anything like it before.'

Erick said that the spiders were trapped in webs and moved a lot.

The video reveal s thousands of then moving up and down webs, appearing to fall from the sky.

Experts later identified the arachnids as Anelosimus eximius, which is extremely rare in the spider world as it is a social spider.
    They are usually in trees during the day and in the late afternoon and early evening construct a giant sheets of webs, in order to trap insects.
    Marta Fischer, a biologist who specializes in spiders at the Pontifical Catholic University of Paraná , examined the picture and said that the phenomenon is normal and occurs mainly in the cities of São Paulo.
    'This type of spider is known to be quite social,' she said.

'They are usually in trees during the day and in the late afternoon and early evening construct sort of giant sheets of webs, in order to trap insects.'

Scientists have found around 40,000 species of spiders around the world - but only 23 species are scattered around the world that are known to swarm, like ants or bees.

Females often outnumber males 10 to 1 in colonies that can exceed 50,000 individuals.
    The species’ webs can stretch from the ground up to tree canopies or human constructions 65 feet high.

If strong winds come along, the web may detach from its anchors, carrying the spiders and their ruined home to new sites where they appear to 'rain down.'

Catching rides on the wind–en mass–was likely what happened in Santo Antonio da Platina, according to the Smithsonian.

Read more: The jaw-dropping moment a Brazillian stepped outside and found it was raining SPIDERS | Mail Online

This sounds like one of my worst nightmares come to life. There's video at the link. If anyone else wants to watch it then fair enough but I know that I'm not!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Nightmare!
    HWBL likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

This oughta bring Jezi back.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooo

I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I would literally shit myself lifeless.
    sprynkles, HWBL, Sarzy and 3 others like this.

I would never leave my house again, if I saw that outside.
    sprynkles and stef like this.

Hell no.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I would never leave my house again, if I saw that outside.
    especially if it was on the day of my engagement party. WTF!

Hell to the no.

Pussies the lot of ya! If they're deadly sure, I'd run screaming, but otherwise I'd be outside amongst it checking out all the cool flying spiders. Next you'll say you wouldn't wade through a street of slithering snakes or something else cute and interesting like that. You're all a bunch of skirts!
    Brookie and twitchy2.0 like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Kicks the shit outta faithanne I am not a pussy or a skirt but that's a bunch o bullshit right there fucking raining spiders *shudders *twitches I ain't never sleeeping again
    Kittylady likes this.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

The video zooms in on the spiders, revealing just how many there are. The animals are one of the very few species of spider that are sociable

Even better yet - they're sociable. They'd want to meet us.
    faithanne and Seapharris7 like this.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

Motherfuckerno.
    Tati likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Pussies the lot of ya! If they're deadly sure, I'd run screaming, but otherwise I'd be outside amongst it checking out all the cool flying spiders. Next you'll say you wouldn't wade through a street of slithering snakes or something else cute and interesting like that. You're all a bunch of skirts!

GetTaFuck! I'll wade through snakes. I'll wade through blood and fucking guts but there is no way - NO WAY - that I'd go out in a spider storm! God, just thinking about it makes me feel like I can almost feel them all tangling in my hair! *scritch scritch scratch*
    Lozi likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information