Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Pregnant teen wins abortion case against her parents

Default Pregnant teen wins abortion case against her parents

I have mixed feelings with this case. I support choice and this girls choice to have a baby. I do not support the court forcing her parents to let her drive their car and pay for half her medical bills. The courts would emancipate her to sign adoption papers if her parents opposed. Maybe the courts need to allow parents to emancipate themselves from their kids once the kid become a parent themselves?

Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle - Yahoo! News

Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle
    By Alyssa Newcomb | ABC News – 3 hrs ago.. .

A pregnant teen who sued her parents, claiming they were coercing her to have an abortion, will be able to give birth to her baby.

Attorneys representing the 16-year-old girl were granted a long-term injunction against the girl's parents in Texas family court on Monday, according to court documents.

The teen is 10 weeks pregnant and the injunction will last for the duration of her pregnancy.

As part of the order, the girl will be able to use her car to go to school, work and medical appointments. Her parents had taken away the use of the car as part of their effort to force an abortion, court papers stated.

The teen's parents will be liable for half of the hospital bill when she gives birth, unless she is married to the baby's 16-year-old father.

"We are extremely happy with the judge's decision today and we are very proud of our teenage client for being strong enough to stand against her parents to save her unborn child's life," Greg Terra, president of the Texas Center for Defense of Life, said in a blog post on the group's website.

Attorneys filed a lawsuit on the teen's behalf earlier this month arguing that her parents "are violating her federal constitutional rights to carry her child to term by coercing her to have an abortion with both verbal and physical threats and harassment."

The teen, identified in the lawsuit only as R.E.K. since she is a minor, was "beside herself" when she called the center for help, her lawyer Stephen Casey told ABCNews.com last week. The group claims it has previously represented teens in similar situations and won their cases.

"These girls are in a bind, particularly in a situation where their parents are forcing them to do something they don't want to do," Casey said. "Regardless of the [situation], that's her parents and she should expect support from them in this situation, not resentment and anger."

When the pregnancy was confirmed, the teenager's father allegedly "became extremely angry, was insistent that R.E.K. was not having the baby, and that the decision was not up to her, according to the lawsuit. He stated he was going to take her to have an abortion and that the decision was his, end of story."

The teen claimed in the lawsuit that her parents had taken away her phone, pulled her out of school, forced her to get two jobs and took away her car in an effort to "make her miserable so that she would give in to the coercion and have the abortion."'
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

the parents' mistake was trying to talk reason into the dumb bitch. they should have sneaked a magic milkshake on her and that would be the end of the story.
    sluce, Butterfly, A*O and 6 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Why in fuck does the parents have to pay for 1/2 the bills. She wants it she pays. Let her learn how hard it is to be a single teen working mom.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

I think, until the child is born, that she is still their responsibility. I'm kind of surprised that the parents are only responsible for half. I think having the child will emancipate her and so I certainly expect one of her life-loving attorneys will take her in and pay for the child (and buy her a new car, since the parents should get to take theirs back once the kid pops out).
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

i think the texas center for defense of life should have to cover all the girl's medical costs, pay for her education, housing, and that of her unborn child. let's see if they care so much about 'life' when they have to actually pay for it once it's there.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

She's planning to work? Yeah right. And I bet her parents end up actually raising the little bastard anyway. Or maybe the proud babydaddy's parents will step up? Yeah right.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hey - MTV is always casting for it's next, I'm a stupid famewhore teenager show. She has career options.
    Just Kill Me likes this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Magic Milkshake is the only option in cases like these.
    Honey and A*O like this.

I'll be the odd one out. I'm glad she's keeping her baby if she wants it. I do think she should try and earn her own wage and keep though too.
    Laurent, KrisNine and sprynkles like this.

I don't think she should be forced to have an abortion either. Her parents get a bum deal having to financially support her but that's parenthood.
    Sarzy and sprynkles like this.

So you can't talk sense to your own kid now? Can't make them get a job to support their own bad choices? And then the world wants to complain about what stupid rude little snots the next generation is. Send the little bitch to foster care if she thinks she has it so bad.
    A*O, sluce, Waterslide and 3 others like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I don't think she should be forced to have an abortion either. Her parents get a bum deal having to financially support her but that's parenthood.
    No. It's grandparenthood and grandparents do not have to support the grandkids. I do not believe she should be forced to abort but do feel that her parents legal responsibility show no longer be required since she is adult anough to be a parent herself. If the parents want to help it is great but should not be court mandated.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

But they do have to support their minor children. I assume they would be responsible for any other type of medical bill so why would pregnancy be any different? And forcing her to quit school is not refusing a grandparent responsibility, but a parental one. The court order doesn't say her parents have to financially support the baby, just their own child.

If she is considered emancipated after the child is born, then she is on her own, and I assume her parent's won't legally be obliged to do a thing for her.

I disagree they should be obligated to support her. If she wants to act grown then let her be grown. And the court mandating that they have to let her use their car? Please. That is some ignorant shit.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The parents should have put her on mandetory birth control. They didn't . Lots of people paying the price.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information