Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Witchywoman
  • 1 Post By A*O
  • 1 Post By A*O
  • 6 Post By Sojiita
  • 1 Post By lurkur

Thread: A METEOR the size of a bus exploded ...........

Default A METEOR the size of a bus exploded ...........

A meteor the size of a bus exploded in the atmosphere over the Russian Urals city of Chelyabinsk Friday, terrifying thousands with blinding light flashes and powerful sonic booms that shattered windows, damaged buildings, and injuries may be heading toward 1,000, mainly due to flying glass and debris.
    Thanks to the proliferation of new technologies like CCTV and dashboard cameras in cars, the dazzling meteor shower that hit the far-western Siberian region may be the first event of its kind in history to be filmed from almost every angle.
    Dozens of videos have cropped up on YouTube and other social media, and they offer an astounding glimpse of what happens when a huge hunk of rock, estimated at about 10 tons, plows into the atmosphere at a speed of 30,000 miles per hour. It disintegrated in a series of bright flashes while still several miles above the Earth's surface.
    According to eyewitnesses quoted by the Ekho Moskvi radio station, the event began around 9 a.m. local time, when it was not yet full daylight. The station said that thousands of people rushed into the frigid streets, looking up at the fiery contrails in the sky, with many wondering if it was an air disaster, a missile attack, or the end of the world.

More photos here......

Meteorite - not the end of the world - strikes Russia's Siberia - Yahoo! News

Brookie likes this.

That's just crazy!
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

A*O

If all you catastrophic global warming alarmists REALLY want something to worry about, this would be it.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Scary. 1,000 people injured.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    If all you catastrophic global warming alarmists REALLY want something to worry about, this would be it.
    ?

The two are in no way related. Sea level rise or large areas turning to desert would affect many people, long term whereas a meteor large enough to be seen and heard like this is rare and affects a very limited area. This was dramatic but nothing to worry about.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

A*O

This meteor was a baby (and undetected until it hit). Even a slightly bigger one (also undetectable) would cause massive damage and loss of life - remember what happened to the dinosaurs? The same thing could happen at any time and there's NOTHING we could do about it (forget Bruce Willis zapping his asteroid). There are lots of people scanning the sky for hostile incoming rocks and I sometimes wonder if they'd actually tell us if they found one about to wipe us all out. I suspect not. It worries me far more than dodgy global warming "science".
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    Dame Edna Everage

- remember what happened to the dinosaurs?
    Nope. I wasn't around back then.

It's been a while since then. So a catastrophic event is not a regular occurrence.

And it isn't "science", it's science. Facts are facts. The only thing that varies is the interpretation. So, who's doing the interpretation, how are they interpreting and do they know what the hell they are doing? The only dodgy thing I've seen are the climate change deniers.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

A*O

I don't deny climate change; I question whether its all man made. Both sides of the debate can cherry pick the "science" to suit their agenda.
    Dame Edna Everage

I think when the meteor realized it was going to land in Russia, and on the wrong side of the Urals particularly, it blew itself up in an act of suicide.

Chelyabinsk...really....??? Oh hell no!!!!....... BOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!

This meteor was a baby (and undetected until it hit). Even a slightly bigger one (also undetectable) would cause massive damage and loss of life - remember what happened to the dinosaurs? The same thing could happen at any time and there's NOTHING we could do about it (forget Bruce Willis zapping his asteroid). There are lots of people scanning the sky for hostile incoming rocks and I sometimes wonder if they'd actually tell us if they found one about to wipe us all out. I suspect not. It worries me far more than dodgy global warming "science".
    There are several hypotheses on why most dinosaurs went extinct, but "science" indicates that it was likely caused by an asteroid.
    There are several hypotheses on why earth's climates are changing, but "science" indicates that it was likely caused by humans.

cherry pick the "science" to suit their agenda.
    You can say that again.
    Kat Scorp likes this.
    If being cunty is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Russia always gets the exciting meteor strikes.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Thread Information