Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Richard III: skeleton found under carpark is the king

Default Richard III: skeleton found under carpark is the king

Richard III: skeleton is the king

The body of Richard III, slain at the battle of Bosworth Field in 1485, has been found buried deep beneath a Leicester car park, scientists confirmed today.

The cleaved skull of Richard III has evidence of an arrow Injury Photo: University of Leicester /

Archaeologists said DNA testing proved "beyond reasonable doubt" that the skeleton was that of the Plantagenet king.

The University of Leicester team described their find as "truly astonishing".

They said the skeletal evidence "provides a highly convincing case for identification as Richard III". They said that the skeleton was the king as far as all scientific tests could prove.

The skull and the complete spine of king Richard III (University of Leicester/AFP/Getty Images)

"It is the academic conclusion of the University of Leicester that, beyond reasonable doubt, the individual exhumed at Greyfriars... is indeed Richard III, the last Plantagenet king of England," said Richard Buckley, who led the research, to applause.

Richard Taylor, the university's deputy registrar, said: "Today we bear witness to history."

The lower jaw of king Richard III with a cut mark caused by a knife or dagger (University of Leicester/AFP/Getty Images)

It came 24 hours after an image of the battle-scarred skull of Richard III was released for the first time. Scientists also uncovered the grave site.

The way they found the skeleton suggested the king had been tied when he was buried. There has been extensive damage to the bones, scientists say.

The skeleton had an "unusually slender, almost feminine build for a man" and was aged between the late 20s and early 30s. Richard died aged 32.

Without any "spinal abnormality", the skeleton would have been 5’ 8” high, which was above average height for a medieval man, scientists say.

A total of 10 wounds have been discovered made to the skeleton, including eight on the skull. The injuries suggest the king may have lost his helmet during the battle which saw him deposed by Henry VII.

The remains of King Richard III found buried deep beneath a Leicester car park (University of Leicester / Rex Features)

The skeleton was uncovered last autumn amid the historic foundations of a Franciscan Friary in Leicester, beneath a council car park which is overlooked by Leicester Cathedral.

They will be reinterred early next year at the cathedral, with a visitor centre to be created nearby, which will tell the king's story.

A depiction of Richard III – on the white horse – at the Battle of Bosworth Credit: ALAMY

Teams of experts carried out radio carbon dating, DNA tests and CAT scans and compared notes with experts in weapons and trauma, lifestyle and diet before announcing their findings today.

They have disclosed that the skull appears to have suffered a severe blow.

The body was identified just weeks into a project which began when experts identified the car park as the most likely historical location of the church of Grey Friars, where the King was said to have been buried after his defeat in the Battle of Bosworth in 1485.

The archaeologists initially described the dig as a "long shot" but uncovered the foundations of a church along with two bodies, one of which would prove to be the King.

As Henry VII's troops dragged the corpse into Leicester its head is said to have struck a stone and broken open.

The remains were dug up last September and Leicester University said there was “strong evidence” that it was Richard III.

Archaeologists searching under the city centre car park for the lost grave of King Richard III have discovered human remains (PA)

The skeleton is not believed to have been buried in either a shroud or a coffin, which although unusual for the time, tallies with historical accounts that suggest he was "irreverently buried" by Henry's forces.

Richard III, depicted by William Shakespeare as a tyrant who murdered two princes in the Tower of London, was killed at the Battle of Bosworth, bringing to an end the two-year dynastic struggle known as the War of the Roses and triggering the reign of the House of Tudor.

It has been claimed the discovery of Richard's body will lead to a re-examination of his reign and may go some way to rebalancing the largely negative portrayal offered by Shakespeare.

Richard III: skeleton is the king - Telegraph
    ikmccall likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Wow. I'm curious who they tested the skeleton's DNA against?
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I thought Richard III was the one who got porked with the hot poker?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

^^^^
    i'm pretty sure that was edward II

richard III is possibly my favourite shakespeare. and the 1995 movie adaptation is definitely my favourite Shakespeare adaptation.
    Richard III (1995 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Wow. I'm curious who they tested the skeleton's DNA against?
    Descendants of his sister.
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; February 4th, 2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Mother of all typos

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Cool as hell!!!
    ikmccall likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

This is awesome! I've just finished teaching Richard III and am going to the Globe this week with my students so it's great timing. I'm such a nerd, I find this sort of thing really exciting
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

Wait a second: I'm pretty sure this is actually from the scene where Salome rescues Russell Edgington.

faithanne and Jana like this.

it would be fantastic if the sister's descendant lays claim to the throne. usurping tudor bastards.......
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by roslyntaberfan View Post
    This is awesome! I've just finished teaching Richard III and am going to the Globe this week with my students so it's great timing. I'm such a nerd, I find this sort of thing really exciting
    Oh, me too. Total Richard III nerd here--since high school, in fact. I actually visited Bosworth Field in 1983. If that's not nerdly, I dunno what is. My dear parents were most accommodating and ended up obsessed themselves, lol.

I am genuinely moved to hear that they finally found his poor messed-up old bones. I so used to wonder where they might be. Makes you think twice about what lies beneath your feet every day, doesn't it? As a matter of fact, I visited Leicester Cathedral and odds are I walked right by that car park. Or whatever was there thirty years ago. Kind of gives me chills.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Descendants of his sister.
    One who wished to remain anonymous, and this fellow, Michael Ibsen, sixteenth generation offspring of Richard's eldest sister, Anne of York:

Here's a little story about him. He's Canadian. Wouldn't that be a fucking trip--to find out you are related to a lost king of England? Good grief.

Richard III descendant Michael Ibsen 'stunned' by DNA discovery | Metro News

Richard III descendant ‘stunned’ by DNA discovery

Monday 4 Feb 2013 10:15 pm

A descendant of Richard III was so surprised to learn his DNA had helped identify the king’s remains that he decided he must have been ‘whacked over the head’ like his royal ancestor.
    Carpenter Michael Ibsen was proved to be a 17th-generation nephew of the monarch by historians who tracked him down several years ago.
    The archaeologists who found the skeleton, with its cracked skull, became convinced it was Richard’s when its DNA matched the monarch’s distant descendant.

‘I couldn’t believe it when it was confirmed,’ said Mr Ibsen, 55.
    ‘It felt like I had been whacked over the head myself.’

The Canadian-born north Londoner was ‘stunned’ to discover his royal roots, but said: ‘It’s not going to change my life or the way I think about myself.’
    ‘I hope it will also make people think more about him. He has not had a very good press over the years but if you read the Thomas Moore history of him you will realise he was unfairly portrayed by Shakespeare,’ he said.
    Mr Ibsen also joked: ‘I’m not going to lay claim to the throne!’

ikmccall likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Cool story. That poor guy took a sword to the face.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Very cool story.

A*O

The king lives on in rhyming slang. "There was a huge Richard floating in the toilet"
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Man, that must have been a fierce battle.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Count me as another Plantaganet geek *shakes fist at Tudors* and archaeology nerd who got excited about this story.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information