Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Pastor Who Left Sanctimonious Tip Gets Waitress Fired from Applebee’s

Default Pastor Who Left Sanctimonious Tip Gets Waitress Fired from Applebee’s

Pastor Who Left Sanctimonious Tip Gets Waitress Fired from Applebee’s, Claims Her Reputation Was Ruined

Hell hath no fury like a pastor scorned by the Internet.

After a copy of her Applebee's receipt began circulating online yesterday, Pastor Alois Bell of the St. Louis-based Truth in the World Deliverance Ministries phoned up the restaurant and asked to have everyone involved fired.

"My heart is really broken," the 37-year-old told The Smoking Gun. "I've brought embarrassment to my church and ministry."

Last Friday, after evening services, Bell and her congregation headed to Applebee's for dinner as they did on many nights.

But a disagreement over the establishment's auto-gratuity of 18% for parties of 8 or more would soon propel the pastor to the heights of Internet infamy.

"I give God 10% why do you get 18," Bell wrote on her credit card receipt after crossing out the tip amount she was obliged to pay.

A server working at the restaurant uploaded a scan of the receipt to Reddit, and the rest is viral history.

Though Bell was denied her request to have a brand new staff awaiting her the next time she dined at her neighborhood Applebee's, she did succeed in getting at least one person fired: The waitress who posted the receipt online.

"I originally posted the note as a lighthearted joke," Chelsea Welch told Consumerist. "I thought the note was insulting, but it was also comical. I posted it to Reddit because I thought other users would find it entertaining."

They did — but Bell did not.

The pastor called it a "lapse in my character and judgment" that "has been blown out of proportion." Somewhat an ironic statement coming from someone who ordered Applebee's to fire everyone who came into contact with the receipt.

For her part, Welch did what she could to avoid having Bell's identity exposed, asking Reddit to stop posting the personal information of potential culprits.

In fact, Bell still isn't sure what exactly she did wrong.

"I didn't break any specific guidelines in the company handbook - I checked," said Welch, who had no complaints about her service prior to this week. "Because this person got embarrassed that their selfishness was made public, Applebee's has made it clear that they would rather lose a dedicated employee than lose an angry customer. That's a policy I can't understand."

Neither will Reddit, which is no longer being kept at bay by Welch, and has already put out a call to "grab them pitchforks."

Pastor Who Left Sanctimonious Tip Gets Waitress Fired from Applebee's, Claims Her Reputation Was Ruined
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

what a fucking asshole, i hope reddit keeps this story active and the bitch keeps getting humiliated.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

What a bitch that pastor is. I wish that applebees would ban her from ever coming back. She's the type of person WHY they have to have mandatory gratuity added on the check. The waitress shouldn't have posted the bill online though, which is probably why she was fired.
    dilligaf and BITTER like this.

She gave God 10% of the price of her meal or the waitress 18% of her total income? She's either doing it wrong or it's not a valid comparison. Of course one has nothing to do with the other anyway.

I guess it was God that brought her the chicken tenders.
    Sojiita likes this.

The company should have told this Pastor to take her bullshit elsewhere. I agree that the waitress shouldn't have posted it online but I'd like to see in the company handbook where that is a fireable offense.

Oh and shouldn't a Pastor give Jeebus 100%?
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    What a bitch that pastor is. I wish that applebees would ban her from ever coming back. She's the type of person WHY they have to have mandatory gratuity added on the check. The waitress shouldn't have posted the bill online though, which is probably why she was fired.
    If the orignal posting included the pastors name then I agree it should not have been posted. But if it did not - who cares? Someone acts like that in public place then they should be able to take the heat when found out. The waitress should not be fired.
    CornFlakegrl and dilligaf like this.

I personally think it's funny that she posted it online, show everyone what a cheap asshole the pastor is. I just don't know if it's worth losing your job over though.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    what a fucking asshole, i hope reddit keeps this story active and the bitch keeps getting humiliated.
    perfectly put-could not possibly agree more.

Why is there a mandatory 18% gratuity for parties of 8 or more? What if the service sucks?
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

It's mandatory because of assholes like this. I imagine if the service sucks then you could complain and they would take it off or comp some of the meal.

asked to have everyone involved fired.
    Who else would be involved besides the server? The technician from Aramark who services the cash register? The people at Georgia Pacific who make the paper that the receipt is printed on?

How far does this Alois-Bell-hating controversy actually go?
    Just Kill Me likes this.

"I give God 10% why do you get 18," Bell wrote on her credit card receipt after crossing out the tip amount she was obliged to pay.
    Uh, cuz God isn't an Applebee's waiter getting paid less than minimum wage and doesn't have to worry about paying the rent?

It's too bad Jesus wasn't sitting in the next booth when all this happened, because according to the bible, he normally wasn't really up for these kinds of shenanigans.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Uh, cuz God isn't an Applebee's waiter getting paid less than minimum wage and doesn't have to worry about paying the rent?

It's too bad Jesus wasn't sitting in the next booth when all this happened, because according to the bible, he normally wasn't really up for these kinds of shenanigans.
    FYI: Tons of people who work below min wage don't get tips and worry about paying rent.
    She ain't special.

Reverend Bell is so cheap, she only talks about 11 Apostles, and pockets the extra one.

Reverend Bell is so cheap that she tells the story of Sodom and Gomorrah as a depraved city where the local Starbucks has a tip jar.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information