Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: At least 245 killed in Brazil nightclub fire

Default At least 245 killed in Brazil nightclub fire

At least 245 killed in Brazil nightclub fire

Sao Paulo, Brazil (CNN) -- A fire swept through a popular nightclub in southern Brazil on Sunday, killing at least 245 people, state media reported, citing police.
    The death toll was expected to climb as firefighters continued to pull bodies from the Kiss nightclub in Santa Maria, said Col. Adilomar Silva, the regional coordinator of civil defense.
    Most of those killed appeared to have died of smoke inhalation, Silva said. Hundreds are believed to have been injured, though an exact count was not immediately available.
    Many people were trampled in the panic to leave the club, one security guard told CNN affiliate Band News.
    Families and friends searching for information were outside a nearby sporting complex, where bodies were taken for identification, the state-run Agencia Brasil reported.
    Police described it as the worst tragedy ever to affect Brazil's Rio Grande do Sul state, Band News said.
    The fire started at about 2 a.m. after the acoustic insulation in the Kiss nightclub caught fire, Silva said.
    There was a pyrotechnics show going on inside the club when the fire started. Authorities stopped short of blaming it for the blaze, saying the cause was still under investigation.
    The incident called to mind a 2003 nightclub fire in Rhode Island where pyrotechnics used by the heavy metal band Great White ignited a blaze that killed more than 90 people.
    Pyrotechnics were also involved in a 2004 night club fire in Argentina that killed 194 people and a 2009 explosion at a night club in Russia that left more than 100 dead.
    The Kiss nightclub is popular with young people in Santa Maria, drawing between 2,000 and 3,000 people a night on the weekends.
    The blaze broke out during a weekend when students were celebrating the end of summer. Students at many Brazilian universities return to school on Monday.
    Santa Maria is home to the Federal University of Santa Maria as well as a number of other private universities and colleges.
    Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, who has been in Chile for a regional summit, was expected to come to Rio Grande do Sul, the state government said in a statement.

At least 245 killed in Brazil nightclub fire - CNN.com

This is so so sad. My thoughts are with the victimes and their families.
    Last edited by dowcat; January 27th, 2013 at 10:19 AM.

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

fgg

so horrible! i can't begin to imagine the fear.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Horrible and probably one of the worst ways to die. Why the hell do they keep doing stupid pyrotechnic shows in clubs? This has happened so many times already and they still keep doing it...
    rollo likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

So many people! This is just horrible, all young and just beginning their lives. Poor parents.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Agree that pyrotechnics have no place being inside. How many times do we have to keep having these tragedies? So avoidable. So sad.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

That's terribly sad. I don't understand why people want to look at fire in small quarters.

245 people, I can't even wrap my head around that. So sad.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Awful. Those poor people. I can't imagine the panic that would have trying to leave that club. Horrible. Pyrotechnics should never be used in these small nightclub venues.

fgg

1,000 people over the limit? holy hell!

This story is so sad. I still can't imagine what these poor people went through trying to escape.

Is there a final count yet?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I have not yet heard a final count - but did hear that the band used outdoor safety flares that cost $1 each - opposed to the correct indoor flares that cost $35.

Some one upthread commented that the nightclub was 1000 people over the limit _ did not see it in the article posted above and have not seen that confirmed? Anyone else?

The toll is at 235 as of two hours ago. It had been reduced to 231 or 232 fairly quickly, but apparently several of the dozens of seriously injured people have died in the last few days. Hopefully it will not rise much higher than it is now, and the injured will pull through.

How..HOW!!! could this club have only ONE FUCKING ENTRANCE/EXIT? seriously? Overcrowded, setting off pyrotechnics, and one fucking entrance which everyone is going to have to use(and all at the same time)? It is a wonder the death toll is not much higher.

I just cannot get over how this club could operate with no emergency exit-just the one main entrance/exit?

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    Some one upthread commented that the nightclub was 1000 people over the limit _ did not see it in the article posted above and have not seen that confirmed? Anyone else?
    it might have been bad info but it came through as a CNN alert on my phone the day i posted that.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

ten people would have been too many for a club with ONE exit. What if the fire started right at that exit? -gee..run through fire to get out or stay in and die from fire, heat, smoke, or toxic gases.
    Kat Scorp likes this.

^^Exactly. One exit in a public place is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

I read earlier that the club was at triple the occupancy, so who knows how many people were really in there if almost 250 died. I also read that one of the owners has attempted suicide while in the hospital (under police guard).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information