Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By rockchick
  • 2 Post By faithanne
  • 2 Post By shedevilang
  • 2 Post By Aella

Thread: 5 People Shot At 3 Different Gun Shows On Gun Appreciation Day

Default At least 5 hurt due to accidental shootings at gun shows this weekend

Gun Show Shootings: At Least 5 Hurt In Accidental Incidents In Ohio, Indiana, North Carolina
    01/19/13 10:34 PM ET EST

GET CRIME ALERTS:
    FOLLOW: Accidental Gun Show Shootings, Dixie Gun And Knife Show Shooting, Gun Show Shootings, Gun Shows, Guns, Indianapolis Gun Show Shooting, Medina Ohio Gun Show Shooting, Raleigh North Carolina Gun Show Shooting, Crime News

MEDINA, Ohio — Accidental shootings at gun shows in North Carolina, Indiana and Ohio left five people injured Saturday, the same day that thousands of gun advocates gathered peacefully at state capitals around the U.S. to rally against stricter firearm limits.

At the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in Raleigh, a 12-gauge shotgun discharged as its owner unzipped its case for a law enforcement officer to check at a security entrance, injuring three people, state Agriculture Department spokesman Brian Long said.

Two bystanders were hit by shotgun pellets and taken to a hospital. A retired deputy sheriff suffered a slight hand injury.

The shotgun's owner, 36-year-old Gary Lynn Wilson, brought the weapon to the show to find a private buyer, Long said. Sheriff Donnie Harrison said that it was too early to know whether Wilson might be charged but that it appeared to be an accident.

The North Carolina show, which is held at the state fairgrounds, is a quarterly event that usually draws thousands of people. The two-day show shut down early Saturday but will reopen Sunday.

In Indianapolis, police said a 54-year-old man was injured when he inadvertently shot himself while leaving a gun show.

Emory L. Cozee was loading his .45-caliber semi-automatic when he shot himself in the hand as he was leaving the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife show at the state fairgrounds, state police said. Loaded personal weapons aren't allowed inside the show.

Cozee, of Indianapolis, was hospitalized for treatment. Police say the shooting was accidental and no charges will be filed.

And in Ohio, a gun dealer in Medina was checking out a semi-automatic handgun he had bought Saturday when he accidentally pulled the trigger, injuring his friend, police said. The gun's magazine had been removed from the firearm, but one round remained in the chamber, police said.

Police Chief Pat Berarducci said it appears the bullet ricocheted off the floor and struck the friend in the arm and leg. The man was taken by helicopter to a hospital 30 miles north in Cleveland, Berarducci said. His condition wasn't immediately known.

The gun rallies held Saturday coincide with President Barack Obama's unveiling of a sweeping package of federal gun-control proposals in the wake of a Connecticut elementary school shooting that killed 20 first-graders and six educators last month.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2513057.html

Default 5 People Shot At 3 Different Gun Shows On Gun Appreciation Day

If the gun advocates behind this year’s inaugural Gun Appreciation Day had hoped to use the day’s festivities to build support for their anti-regulation platform, they are going to have to wait another year.

Emergency personnel had to be called to the scene of the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in Raleigh, North Carolina after a gun accidentally discharged and shot three people at the show’s safety check-in booth just after 1 pm. Both victims were transported to an area hospital, and the Raleigh Fire Department announced that the show would be closed for the rest of the day.

Gun Appreciation Day is the combined effort of dozens of far-right organizations who have been vocal opponents of gun control advocates’ efforts to reduce the number of dangerous weapons on our streets and prevent them from ending up in the hands of people with criminal backgrounds or a history of mental illness. In response to a renewed push for sensible reforms of gun laws after the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, groups like the National Rifle Association and the founders of Gun Appreciation Day have instead advocated for an increase in the number of guns in public places like elementary schools, arguing — falsely — that more guns will mean more protection for individuals.

But today’s unfortunate accident, which took place at a safety check in surrounded by hundreds of people who presumably have at least some training on how to properly handle a dangerous weapon, undermines that case. Earlier this week, an armed security officer at a Michigan charter school accidentally left his gun in a restroom that is regularly used by students as young as five years old.

A representative from Political Media, the group responsible for organizing Gun Appreciation Day, was not immediately available for comment.

Update

Two similar incidents occurred at entirely separate gun shows in the Midwest, one in the Cleveland suburb of Medina, Ohio and the other at the state fairgrounds in Indianapolis, Indiana. In Ohio, the local ABC affiliate reports that one individual was brought to a hospital by EMS, and in Indiana Channel 8 WISH says that an individual shot himself in the hand while trying to reload his gun in the show parking lot. That brings the tally to 4 victims of gun violence so far at three different gun shows during the country’s first Gun Appreciation Day.

Update

CNN is reporting that three people were injured at the gun show in Raleigh, not two as originally reported. All were victims of a shotgun that fired while the owner was removing it from a case.

UPDATED: 5 People Shot At 3 Different Gun Shows On Gun Appreciation Day | ThinkProgress
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Reading this brought back the story about the young boy - I believe he was 8 - that was allowed to shoot an automatic weapon under supervision at some sort of gun show. He was killed, I think due to the recoil. Horrible accident - but again why does anyone need automatic weapons. I am saddened that so many people think they do.

And I am tired of hearing "it they are outlawed only the criminals will have them".

All I know is I hate guns. All types.

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    All I know is I hate guns. All types.
    See I don't hate guns, I hate half the idiots who have guns. I know a lot of people who hunt or just have guns for their protection and they are responsible about it, none of them feel the need to have a damn uzi or anything. If you need something that shoots 100 rounds to kill a deer or protect your family then you may want to consider a shooting class. I think we need better background checks and we need to either make the gun shows do the background checks or do away with them.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    See I don't hate guns, I hate half the idiots who have guns.
    But this is what I don't get - why don't you hate guns? They're designed solely to kill. I don't doubt there are people who need them for hunting, culling pests etc, but in those cases they would be a necessary evil. I know you didn't say you love them, but to me they're something to be feared, and so yeah I really really hate them.
    Sleuth and Sarzy like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Because in my experience a gun has never gone off by it's self unless it was left loaded by an irresponsible owner. I don't love them but I do see the necessity of them.
    Waterslide and southernbelle like this.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

All aboard!

I can't be the only one who laughed at the headline.
    Brookie and Kat Scorp like this.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    All aboard!

I can't be the only one who laughed at the headline.
    Not by a longshot.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Thread Information