Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Racist Homeowner Claims His Effigy of Barack Obama Eating Watermelon Isnít Racist

Default Racist Homeowner Claims His Effigy of Barack Obama Eating Watermelon Isnít Racist

Confronted about his life-size statue of President Obama eating a watermelon, Danny Hafley of Kentucky denied any racial motivation.

"The way I look at it, it's freedom of speech," the Casey County resident told Lex 18 News. "I don't know how other people will take it." At least one of Hafley's neighbors is taking it as a sign of disrespect.
    "If he wants to place it someplace else that would be fine," the anonymous neighbor told the NBC affiliate. "We don't have black people in this community but I'm sure they travel this road like everybody else does. They could be offended. I don't agree with it."
    Hafley, who initially put up the effigy just before the presidential election and recently moved it near the road that runs by his home, says he won't be taking it down unless it gets him in trouble.
    "That's my buddy. He don't talk. Don't make no smart comments," he said. "If I had a dollar for everyone who stopped and took a picture of it I'd be a millionaire."
    Pressed to explain the significance of the watermelon, Hafley again shrugged off suggestions that it could be seen as racist. "[I thought he] might get hungry standing out here," Hafley said.
    According to one local resident, the watermelon made its first appearance after Obama was reelected. Prior to that the mannequin held up a sign that read, "In another 4 years, this will destroy us."

[H/T: HyperVocal, screengrab via YouTube]

Racist Homeowner Claims His Effigy of President Obama Eating Watermelon Isn't Racist

Ffs. It looks pretty damn racist to me. The way this guy looks at it, it's freedom of speech. wtf kind of non racist message is he trying to say with that?
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

You can have freedom of speech and say racist things at the same time. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Ass clown.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    You can have freedom of speech and say racist things at the same time. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Ass clown.
    I think that subtlety is lost on this person and a lot of other people people, come to think of it. I just desperately want to know why people are so freaking stupid and awful.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I think that subtlety is lost on this person and a lot of other people people, come to think of it. I just desperately want to know why people are so freaking stupid and awful.
    Check out my signature. I'm really getting tired of the human species.
    Waterslide, HWBL, Sarzy and 1 others like this.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

Whether it was Obama or just another black man.. It is a black man eating a freaking piece of watermelon, uh RACIST!!!
    rockchick likes this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

It's too bad that Americans have taken things like watermelon and fried chicken, things that used to sustain our community, and turned them into something ugly.
    shedevilang likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

This isn't racist?? Why do racist people insist what they say/do aren't racist, and then do cowardly stuff like this? At least own your shit, you asshole.
    Rock the fuck on!

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    It's too bad that Americans have taken things like watermelon and fried chicken, things that used to sustain our community, and turned them into something ugly.
    This is so true. It's the connotation that's so repulsive here.

Quote Originally Posted by heart_leigh View Post
    This isn't racist?? Why do racist people insist what they say/do aren't racist, and then do cowardly stuff like this? At least own your shit, you asshole.
    That bolded part was exactly what I was thinking when I first read it. You can't do something racist and then in your own cowardly head decide it's not. I can't stand people anymore.

In Kentucky. Shocker.....
    i'd like to shove a watermelon down this guy's throat.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    In Kentucky. Shocker.....
    i'd like to shove a watermelon down this guy's throat.
    Well I'd like to shove a watermelon right up this piece of shits asshole. I really hate ignorance, it makes me violent.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

This beyond disgusting. I hope the FBI scares his butt and the IRS audits him.
    Icepik likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^ I read that as 'scars' his butt, and I think I prefer that
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Forgive my ignorance, but I live outside of the US: what is racist about the watermelon?
    The statue looks like an ugly caricature to me and it slightly reminds me of those old caricatures of black people that were popular in the 50s, but I can't get the watermelon reference.
    My wild guess would be that watermelons are something traditionally raised and eaten by poor people (because my grandma was poor, born and raised in a farm and had a watermelon patch), but we don't have that analogy here. To us, it's a cheap food that everybody likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    This is so true. It's the connotation that's so repulsive here.
    The watermelon originated in Africa and parts of the southern US - Native Americans were using it as a source of nutrition and hydration before Europeans ever came. And since slave didn't have access to water all the time, watermelon was ideal for keeping them cool while doing brutal work in the heat. Fried chicken is also not originally a "black" thing, but something brought over to the US by Scotch-Irish colonials. They found out that fried chicken kept longer than chicken that was boiled or baked. When they moved South, prospered and bought African slaves, those slaves worked in their kitchens, and added spices that many brought with them from Africa. And we weren't allowed to own cattle or pigs, but we could own chickens, which were usually fried on Sundays...but trust me, white people ate (and eat) plenty of fried chicken. It's an AMERICAN food staple. And if IIRC, several European countries were frying their chicken long before the US did.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information