Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Switched Baby Breastfed By Wrong Mom

fgg

Default Switched Baby Breastfed By Wrong Mom

Switched Baby Breastfed By Wrong Mom

A new born baby will have to undergo a year of medical tests for HIV and hepatitis because he was accidentally put in the wrong bassinette by a Minnapolis hospital and then breastfed by the wrong mother.

The mix-up happened Wednesday in Abbott Northwestern Hospital when Tammy Van Dyke's little boy Cody was accidentally switched to the wrong bassinette in the nursery.

"You put your baby in the nursery, not even 48-hours old, and you think they're safe," Van Dyke told ABC News today. "I'm holding it together. I'm just in disbelief, and it was like I was in a dream, a bad dream, and I couldn't get it to stop."

Van Dyke was told two hours after the switch happened, just hours before she was going to take Cody home.

The infant had to undergo blood testing for HIV and hepatitis immediately following the switch.

"It was horrible," Van Dyke said. "Two nurses had to go in through veins in his tiny little arms."

Although the tests came back negative, Abbott Northwestern Hospital told Van Dyke her newborn son would have to undergo blood testing every three months for a year.

Hospital spokeswoman Gloria O'Connell said the tests were "just a precaution," but declilned to elaborate because of patient confidentiality.

Van Dyke was able to speak with the other mother, who had to wait 20 minutes before her baby, Liam, was located.

"It gave me peace of mind to talk to her," Van Dyke said. "She was just as distraught as me that this happened to her, and in the meantime, also didn't know where her baby was. She has twins."

Van Dykes, who also has a 2-year-old, said the homecoming shortly after wasn't what she thought it would be.

"I imagined getting up and getting ready and having Cody in the car with his big brother and coming home as a happy family," Van Dyke said. "We were going to videotape the homecoming, showing his room, and I couldn't stop crying. I couldn't put myself together, because it wasn't what I had imagined all this time."

In an apology letter given to her, the hospital states:

"Please accept this letter with our sincerest apologies for what occurred today at the hospital, that in the nursery your newborn son was placed in the wrong bassinette and then was taken to the wrong mother and breastfed. The hospital agrees to pay for the additional testing that you had done today and will also pay for the tests recommended for your son related to this incident up to one year."

And in a press release from Abbott Northwestern, practicing obstetrician and Chief Clinical Officer of Allina Health, Dr. Penny Wheeler, said, "As an obstetrician, I have personally seen verification of the infant's identifying name band matched correctly with the mother's on hundreds of occasions. It is extremely unfortunate that was not the case this time. We sincerely apologize to the involved families and will make certain we understand why our procedures were not appropriately followed in this case."

"I will be thankful to God when this year's over and he's cleared all his health tests and we don't have to think about this again," Van Dyke said.

Switched Baby Breastfed By Wrong Mom - Yahoo!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

unless there's something they're not saying and the other mother has hepatitis and HIV, i don't see why this is such a big deal. i mean, it sucks and all but it's not like they accidentally gave the kid a transfusion with contaminated blood.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yea the other mother has to be positive for both for this to even be an issue - but then why is she breastfeeding? Not too long ago wet nurses were not uncommon and it didn't lead to medical issues.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

This is what wet nurses used to do, so it's not a horrific idea out of the pages of a horror novel, but I get being wigged out that the hospital lost your kid and may have given it to someone possibly infected with a communicable disease.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    unless there's something they're not saying and the other mother has hepatitis and HIV, i don't see why this is such a big deal. i mean, it sucks and all but it's not like they accidentally gave the kid a transfusion with contaminated blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Yea the other mother has to be positive for both for this to even be an issue - but then why is she breastfeeding? Not too long ago wet nurses were not uncommon and it didn't lead to medical issues.
    Not true. It is a precaution to pacify all involved and allow them to use it in a potential lawsuit. Babies on both sides will be tested if they were both breastfed by a woman other than their mother. You can't prove that either mother is HIV neg. They may present as negative when tested right now but turn up positive in a few months. The chances are miniscule but they will do whatever is needed to pacify the people involved.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I understand the hospital needing to check for HIV and anything else that could be transmitted, but I agree that the breastfeeding itself is not a big deal.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Not true. It is a precaution to pacify all involved and allow them to use it in a potential lawsuit. Babies on both sides will be tested if they were both breastfed by a woman other than their mother. You can't prove that either mother is HIV neg. They may present as negative when tested right now but turn up positive in a few months. The chances are miniscule but they will do whatever is needed to pacify the people involved.
    yeah i can see how that is the case but i don't understand why it made it into the news. i know it's yahoo, but still.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

I had a friend who had so much spare milk when she was breast feeding (tiny titties too, go figure) she used to donate it to the preemies in ICU at the hospital and very thankful everyone was. Naturally that practice has now been stopped for fear of lawsuits and other mommy mafia hysteria. Wet nurses have been feeding other women's babies for centuries. Get a grip.
    Novice likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hell, it's not like most of the rest of us don't drink milk that came out of a cow's tit.
    ManxMouse likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

*recoils in horror from milk*

I keed, I keed.

If it were me, I'd wanna meet the woman too.

I far from consider myself one of those moms prone to hysterics, but there's no way to tell 100% if this baby might have contracted anything or not until after a full year of those tests.

This is why you ALWAYS match the bands, nurses and etc. medical people (specifically dipshit who dropped the ball).
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

There is a lady here who has donated 80 gallons of breast milk for preemies, of course she was carefully screened first.

The bad part here IMO, is that a brand new mother finds out her tiny infant must be blood tested often. You are at your lowest point of coping with anything right after childbirth and this would throw her out of the loop.

It is newsworthy because we all thought the mix-up days were gone. Guess not-this is a reminder human error still rules..
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    Hell, it's not like most of the rest of us don't drink milk that came out of a cow's tit.
    Or an almond's tit... (Lol!)
    Just Kill Me likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Coconut tits too!
    Novice likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    yeah i can see how that is the case but i don't understand why it made it into the news. i know it's yahoo, but still.
    I'm betting the "traumatized" Mom went to the press out of the goodness of her heart to make sure this won't happen to others. She, of course, had to make sure she told the part of being too traumatized to have the homecoming she had so carefully planned. That will play well to a jury of it gets that far. I predict a nice quick settlement.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information