• 2 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 1 Post By Ravenna
  • 3 Post By greysfang

Thread: Doctors call for birth control to be sold over the counter

Default Doctors call for birth control to be sold over the counter

I saw this on HLN this morning:

Doctors call for birth control to be sold over the counter - CBS News

Doctors call for birth control to be sold over the counter

(CBS News) Birth control pills can only be purchased with a doctor's prescription. But on Tuesday, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists said the pill should be available over the counter.
    In the 1960's, when birth control pills were first approved, only married women could get a prescription.
    Now nearly 11 million women in the U.S. are on the pill. Gynecologist Dan Grossman's research led to Tuesday's recommendation that oral contraceptives be made available over the counter to reduce the risk of unwanted pregnancies.
    "We have over 50 years of experience with oral contraceptives now ," he said, "and it's one of the best-studied medications that's around, so we know that it's incredibly safe."
    OB/GYN society says birth control pill should be sold over-the-counter
    About half of all pregnancies are unintended, a rate that has not changed in 20 years. Nearly five million women considered at-risk for an unintended pregnancy do not use any kind of birth control.
    "Women who aren't currently using any contraception or are using a less effective method might start using the pill," said Grossman. "And also, it could make the pill easier to get for women who are already taking it and prevent gaps in use."
    Ann Mahan is a registered nurse and director of the student health clinic at Fairleigh Dickinson University in New Jersey. She has concerns the recommendation.
    "I can see a lot of chaos resulting from birth control pills being over the counter," she said.
    She's worried that a lack of oversight could lead to misuse or increase the risk for side-effects such as blood clots.
    "We need to have that contact with our patients," said Mahan, "and we need to be able to monitor their health. And the only way to do that is to have birth control pills stay a prescriptive item."
    But the report cites evidence that women can effectively screen themselves for risk factors, such as smoking and hypertension. And when the pill was available over the counter, women were just as likely to use it correctly as those who received a prescription.
    The Food and Drug Administration is already looking at ways to increase access to certain drugs, including oral contraceptives. Among the possibilities under discussion -- a one-time prescription, or even making drugs available through automated screenings at electronic kiosks.

2012 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

shit, you can get birth control over the counter in chile, the most catholic country in the world after the vatican and the philippines.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

This is a good idea.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I want this to happen so bad.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

If this happens, I'll be counting down the days until an obese, diabetic, hypertensive, chain-smoking 35 year old takes them, suffers a stroke, and then blames it on the pill, even thought it was her stupidity at taking them that was to blame...and of course, she'll then sue the pharmaceutical company that makes them.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    shit, you can get birth control over the counter in chile, the most catholic country in the world after the vatican and the philippines.
    I was wondering about that (availability over the counter in other countries) because of the reference to women who bought it over the counter being just as likely to use them correctly as someone who has a prescription.

What I like about the idea is that it would be an end around over fundamentalist pharmacists who want to impose their morality, religion, and shaky grasp of reproductive science on women by acting as arbitrary gatekeepers to birth control pills. Now that Obama has four more years, and this issue appears to be in the hands of the FDA, I hope he can make it happen.
    OrangeSlice and Butterfly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

What I like about the idea is that it would be an end around over fundamentalist pharmacists who want to impose their morality, religion, and shaky grasp of reproductive science on women by acting as arbitrary gatekeepers to birth control pills. Now that Obama has four more years, and this issue appears to be in the hands of the FDA, I hope he can make it happen.
    That would be nice, but they'll probably keep it behind the counter so you have to ask a pharmacist for it anyway, and the fundies will probably still refuse to hand it over.

I've always thought BCP's should just be OTC. It was a pain and a waste of resources to have to call or go to the doctor just for refills when it was pretty much automatic that the doctor would give you the prescription anyway. Pharmacists can just as easily advise you about the risks if you're over 35 and a smoker or whatever.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    That would be nice, but they'll probably keep it behind the counter so you have to ask a pharmacist for it anyway, and the fundies will probably still refuse to hand it over.

I've always thought BCP's should just be OTC. It was a pain and a waste of resources to have to call or go to the doctor just for refills when it was pretty much automatic that the doctor would give you the prescription anyway. Pharmacists can just as easily advise you about the risks if you're over 35 and a smoker or whatever.
    Okay, I have a couple of followup questions about what you just said.

1. Are you saying they would keep it behind the counter because it's an expensive item (like Rogaine or diabetes supplies) or so that you would still have to ask someone in the pharmacy about it, thus allowing them to "stop" you.
    2. If it was OTC, and there was a tech behind the counter, couldn't the tech (or even a cashier working in the pharmacy) sell it to you, whether or not the pharmacist was morally opposed? I realize that small pharmacies probably only have the pharmacist behind the counter, and someone would be at their whims.

The only downside I can see to this is people, especially kids, might not get the condom lecture that a prescribing physician would probably do.
    laynes, Just Kill Me and SHELLEE like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Okay, I have a couple of followup questions about what you just said.

1. Are you saying they would keep it behind the counter because it's an expensive item (like Rogaine or diabetes supplies) or so that you would still have to ask someone in the pharmacy about it, thus allowing them to "stop" you.
    2. If it was OTC, and there was a tech behind the counter, couldn't the tech (or even a cashier working in the pharmacy) sell it to you, whether or not the pharmacist was morally opposed? I realize that small pharmacies probably only have the pharmacist behind the counter, and someone would be at their whims.
    I don't know about in the US, but in Canada and other countries I've lived in, they keep certain medicines behind the counter so pharmacists can advise you about risks and interactions before you buy. (They usually just hand it over without a word, though.) Hell, in supermarket pharmacies in Canada, they will even lock up the cold medicines when the pharmacist goes home and the store stays open. But my assumption that they wouldn't go from prescription only to being able to take it off the shelf yourself could be wrong.

It could well be that the tech could give it to you.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I was pitching a fit early one morning, I had the nastiest cold back in June and decided to get some Advil Cold & Sinus, all locked up until the pharmacy opened after 8. I was so totally there right at 8 with my pounding head and nasty scratchy voice.

Random tid bit, in Washington you have to pay sales tax for the morning after pill if you purchase it without a prescription.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I'd rather pay sales tax than for an abortion... or the insane final hospital bill
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Of course but there's more to it than that.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Thread Information