Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Woman dies after abortion request is refused at Irish hospital

Default Woman dies after abortion request is refused at Irish hospital

14 November 2012 Last updated at 13:28 ET Woman dies after abortion request 'refused' at Galway hospital

Savita Halappanavar's family said she asked several times for an abortion before she died. Photograph courtesy of the Irish Times
    Continue reading the main story

The husband of a pregnant woman who died in an Irish hospital has said he has no doubt she would be alive if she had been allowed an abortion.
    Savita Halappanavar's family said she asked several times for her pregnancy to be terminated because she had severe back pain and was miscarrying.
    Her husband told the BBC that it was refused because there was a foetal heartbeat.
    Ms Halappanavar's death, on 28 October, is the subject of two investigations.

An autopsy carried out two days after her death found she had died from septicaemia, according to the Irish Times.

Ms Halappanavar, who was 31 and originally from India, was a dentist.
    Praveen Halappanavar said staff at University Hospital Galway told them Ireland was "a Catholic country".

When asked by the BBC if he thought his wife would still be alive if the termination had been allowed, Mr Halappanavar said: "Of course, no doubt about it."
    He said Savita had been "on top of the world" before experiencing difficulties.
    "It was her first baby, first pregnancy and you know she was on top of the world basically," he said.
    "She was so happy and everything was going well, she was so excited.
    "On the Saturday night everything changed, she started experiencing back pain so we called into the hospital, the university hospital."
    He said she continued to experience pain and asked a consultant if she could be induced.
    "They said unfortunately she can't because it's a Catholic country," Mr Halappanavar said.
    "Savita said to her she is not Catholic, she is Hindu, and why impose the law on her.
    "But she said 'I'm sorry, unfortunately it's a Catholic country' and it's the law that they can't abort when the foetus is live."
    The baby's heartbeat stopped on the Wednesday.
    "I got a call at about half twelve on the Wednesday night that Savita's heart rate had really gone up and that they had moved her to ICU," Mr Halappanavar said.
    "Things just kept on getting worse and on Friday they told me that she was critically ill."
    He said some of Savita's organs stopped functioning and she died on Sunday 28 October.
    Continue reading the main story Shane Harrison BBC Ireland Correspondent
    Abortion remains a divisive issue in the Republic of Ireland, but not as divisive as it once was.
    But the country's abortion laws are a mess and have been for 20 years since what was called the 'X case'.
    'X' was a suicidal pregnant 14-year-old school girl, the victim of a rape who was initially prevented from leaving the state to terminate her pregnancy.
    The Irish Supreme Court ruled that the mother and child have an equal right to life but that the threat of suicide was grounds for an abortion.
    However, no government has enacted legislation to give certainty to doctors as to when terminations can be carried out and under what circumstances.
    Politicians privately admit this is due to a belief on their part that people in the Irish Republic don't want abortion in Ireland as long as there's a British solution to the country's abortion problem.
    Pro-choice activists accuse successive governments of moral cowardice.
    But the current Fine Gael-Labour coalition has said it will finally legislate on the matter.

Substantial risk University Hospital Galway is to carry out an internal investigation. It said it could not comment on individual cases but would be cooperating fully with the coroner's inquest into Ms Halappanavar's death.
    In a statement released on Wednesday, the Galway Roscommon University Hospitals Group extended its sympathy to the husband, family and friends of Ms Halappanavar.
    It said it was standard practice to review unexpected deaths in line with the Irish Health Service Executive's (HSE) National Incident Management Policy.
    "Galway Roscommon University Hospitals Group wishes to emphasise that the facts of this tragic case have yet to be established; that is the purpose of the review," the statement said.
    The HSE has launched a separate investigation.
    Asked if the Irish government would carry out an external inquiry into the death, Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Enda Kenny said: "It would be very appropriate that we don't rule anything out here, but there are two reports and investigations going on at the moment."
    The group Precious Life, which campaigns against abortion, said its thoughts and prayers were with Ms Halappanavar's family.
    In a statement, it said it hoped the investigations would "shed full light" on what had happened.
    "Ireland's laws protecting unborn babies do not pose a threat to women's lives, according to the obstetricians and gynaecologists who care for women every day," they said.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny said he was not ruling out an independent inquiry

Dr Muiris Houston, health analyst for The Irish Times, said that all of the circumstances surrounding the incident had not been revealed yet.
    He described it as a "rare situation".
    "It is deeply shocking, but I think as responsible people we have to remember that you do need to hear all sides of the story before you make any definitive comment," he said.
    "I do believe we need to do that in this case."
    About 2,000 protesters assembled outside the Irish parliament in Dublin on Wednesday evening to call for the Irish government to urgently reform the Republic's abortion laws.
    A minute's silence was held in memory of Mrs Halappanavar.
    A group of about 40 protesters also gathered outside the Irish embassy in London.
    In Cork, a candlelight vigil was held at the city's opera house in memory of the dentist.
    Abortion is illegal in the Republic except where there is a real and substantial risk to the life, as distinct from the health, of the mother.

The Irish government in January established a 14-member expert group to make recommendations based on a 2010 European Court of Human Rights judgment that the state failed to implement existing rights to lawful abortion where a mother's life was at risk.
    A spokesperson for the Department of Health said that the group was due to report back to the Minister for Health, James Reilly, shortly.
    "The minister will consider the group's report and subsequently submit it to government," the spokesperson said.
    Mr Halappanavar is still in India after accompanying his wife's body there for her funeral.

BBC News - Woman dies after abortion request 'refused' at Galway hospital
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

This is my greatest fear for the United States. To me, the heartbeat of the Mother is the only one that counts in these situations.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Abortion is illegal in the Republic except where there is a real and substantial risk to the life, as distinct from the health, of the mother.

Septicemia wasn't a valid threat to her life? Fucking bastards.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^ I'm sure I read she got septecimia after the miscarriage.

Anyhow, I don't agree with Ireland's no abortions law.

^ Yes, but she got septicemia from the miscarriage. While you miscarry, your cervix dilates (like when you give birth) and bacteria can enter the uterus. Normally it takes hours so there is little risk, here it took 2 1/2 days. Her life was clearly put in danger from not removing the fetus and they did nothing, they just let her die.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

^ Ah ok. I wasn't sure if not giving her an abortion was putting her more at risk of septecimia or not. The mother's health should always come first.

There goes the vatican again, killing and oppressing women in the name of god.

What a sad and unnecessary death, fucking bastards.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Way to go assholes. You stopped a fully developed heart from beating in order to let a fetal one throw a few last beats.

I Wonder how these fucking murderers can sleep at night.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Widower Objects to Investigation of His Wife’s Death After Being Denied an Abortion

When the Irish government announced its plans for an investigative probe into the death of Savita Halappanavar—the 31-year-old Galway woman who died painfully and senselessly after being denied an abortion by Catholic hospital administrators—Halappanavar's husband was less than satisfied. The original seven-member panel contained three senior doctors from University Hospital Galway, the facility where Halappanavar died. Outraged at the prospect that his wife's death would not receive an objective, independent, public investigation, Praveen Halappanavar refused to speak with investigators or release his late wife's medical records to the panel.

And rightly so, because FUCK THOSE DUDES.

In an abrupt and, hopefully, promising reversal, Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny announced today that the three problematic doctors have been removed from the panel and will be replaced with independent officials not affiliated with the hospital. Though he has not, as of yet, consented to make the investigation public, Kenny says he hopes the adjustments to the panel will persuade Halappanavar to cooperate with the investigation.

Via HuffPo:
    "A man's wife has died. Nothing will bring her back," Kenny said. "But it is important for our country, for our people, for the family, for everybody concerned to ascertain the truth of what happened here. And this investigation can hopefully do that with the cooperation of Mr. Halappanavar."

Halappanavar did not immediately respond to the prime minister's reversal. He previously also faulted the Irish probe on several points, because it would not be a public inquiry involving witnesses testifying under oath.

...The chairman of the probe, Sir Sabaratnam Arulkumaran, said he hoped to have a face-to-face meeting with Halappanavar to persuade him to change his mind about talking to investigators because his testimony on his wife's care would be central to identifying problems.

Not to be flippant here, but I can identify ONE pretty clear problem off the top of my head: Stop letting ancient mythology dictate the medical care of modern human beings, especially when those human beings do not even subscribe to that particular mythology. Stop letting women die because of some paternalistic notion about the sanctity of their reproductive organs—as though a woman's uterus isn't a body part that deserves medical care, it's a magical box filled with treasure that somehow belongs to the fucking Pope. If you're a doctor, don't kill your patients because of an invisible dude in the sky that you've never met. Or, if that's your thing, open an "invisible dude in the sky hospital," and give people a heads-up that they're not going to get adequate, just, unbiased medical treatment there.

Because that's what this is—it's a bias. It's a bias against women. It's judging us incompetent to have authority over our own bodies and our own medical care.

In an interview with The Irish Times, Halappanavar said he doubted Ireland would have done anything public had he not spoken out.

He noted that he received zero communication from the hospital and Health Services Executive during the two weeks following his wife's death, when he returned her body to India for a Hindu funeral and cremation.

"It is a pity because I thought Ireland would care more for someone so young who died. That let me down. ... Maybe Savita was born to change the laws here," he told The Irish Times.

That shouldn't have been her responsibility. That shouldn't have been what her life was for. She was born to live—not to be killed by a cruel, misogynistic fiction. But if global attitudes toward abortion and female bodily autonomy do manage to shift, even slightly, in the aftermath of Savita's death, at least she'll have died for progress instead of stagnation. At least she'll have died for future Savitas instead of for the Catholic fucking church.

Widower Objects to Investigation of His Wife's Death After Being Denied an Abortion

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Stop letting ancient mythology dictate the medical care of modern human beings, especially when those human beings do not even subscribe to that particular mythology. Stop letting women die because of some paternalistic notion about the sanctity of their reproductive organs—as though a woman's uterus isn't a body part that deserves medical care, it's a magical box filled with treasure that somehow belongs to the fucking Pope. If you're a doctor, don't kill your patients because of an invisible dude in the sky that you've never met. Or, if that's your thing, open an "invisible dude in the sky hospital," and give people a heads-up that they're not going to get adequate, just, unbiased medical treatment there.

I completely second that.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Savita Halappanavar death report finds foetus, not mother, was main focus

Galway hospital staff underemphasised miscarrying woman’s worsening health, HSE draft report finds

Praveen Halappanavar is dissatisfied with the HSE’s report into the death of his wife, Savita. The report was delivered to his solicitor, Gerard O’Donnell, on Friday. Photograph: Cyril Byrne

The Health Service Executive report on the death last year at Galway University Hospital of Savita Halappanavar has found there was an overemphasis by hospital staff on the welfare of Ms Halappanavar’s unviable foetus and an underemphasis on her deteriorating health.The final draft report says: “The investigating team considers there was an apparent overemphasis on the need not to intervene until the foetal heart stopped, together with an underemphasis on the need to focus an appropriate attention on monitoring for and managing the risk of infection and sepsis in the mother.”
    Praveen Halappanavar, the husband of Savita, is dissatisfied with the report, which was delivered to his solicitor, Gerard O’Donnell, on Friday.
    He has instructed Mr O’Donnell and his medical adviser to meet the chairman of the investigating team, Prof Sir Sabaratnam Arulkumaran, later this week to submit their observations.

Key issues

Last night Mr O’Donnell outlined to The Irish Times the key issues arising from the report. It finds that on admission to the Galway University Hospital on Sunday, October 21st, Ms Halappanavar’s white blood-cell count was elevated, which indicated her body was fighting an infection.

It finds her vital signs were inadequately monitored; that she was seriously ill by the evening of Tuesday 23rd, but that this was not acted on; that her team saw her on the morning of Wednesday 24th and she had further deteriorated, and still this was not acted on adequately; that further blood samples were not taken until later that day and that the High Dependency Unit did not get involved until the Wednesday evening, after the foetal heartbeat had stopped.
    It is also revealed in the report that the possibility of performing an abortion was discussed by the medical team on the Wednesday. Mr Halappanavar was unaware this had been discussed. The couple’s request for a termination on the Tuesday is acknowledged in the report, but not in Ms Halappanavar’s medical notes. Having read through the report, Mr Halappanavar is said to feel it does not address why his wife died.

‘Not satisfied’

“No, he is not satisfied because it doesn’t answer the question why was the request for the termination not acceded to even when she became ill and her life was in danger, why wasn’t it acted upon then,” said Mr O’Donnell.
    Ms Halappanavar died on October 28th of septicaemia and E.coli, having presented with severe back pain on October 21st. She was found to be miscarrying and was told it would be over in “a few hours”, Mr Halappanavar has said. However, his wife was still miscarrying on Wednesday afternoon. Her husband has said they asked repeatedly for a termination from the Monday but were refused because the foetal heartbeat remained and they were told, “this is a Catholic country”.
    Asked whether his client had a view as to why his wife died, Mr O’Donnell said he did. “He does have a sense why – that when the request for a termination was made she was told, ‘This is a Catholic country and this is the law’. He feels there could have been and should have been a termination and that’s what they were told. Of course that doesn’t come out in the report.”

Savita Halappanavar death report finds foetus, not mother, was main focus - Health News | Irish Medical News | The Irish Times - Tue, Apr 02, 2013

Fucking assoles.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

They should kick Ireland out of the EU until they fix this.
    ManxMouse likes this.

And how much time and money was wasted on an investigation that didn't tell us anything we didn't already know?
    SHELLEE likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information