Thread: Elephants pay respects to activist

Default Elephants pay respects to activist

I don't know if this story is true or not (one of those email chain things), but its touching nonetheless.

HOW DID THEY KNOW? SOMETHING IN THE UNIVERSE THAT IS MUCH GREATER AND DEEPER THAN HUMAN
    INTELLIGENCE. THE ELEPHANT'S JOURNEY TO PAY RESPECT, BUT HOW DID THEY KNOW?

Lawrence Anthony, a legend in South Africa and author of 3 books including the bestseller The Elephant Whisperer, bravely rescued wildlife and
    rehabilitated elephants all over the globe from human atrocities, including the courageous rescue of Baghdad Zoo animals during US invasion in 2003.

On March 7, 2012 Lawrence Anthony died. He is remembered and missed by his wife, 2 sons, 2 grandsons and numerous elephants.

Two days after his passing, the wild elephants showed up at his home led by two large matriarchs.

Separate wild herds arrived in droves to say goodbye to their beloved man-friend.

A total of 31 elephants had patiently walked over 12 miles to get to his South African House. Witnessing this spectacle, humans were obviously in awe not only because of the supreme intelligence and precise timing that these elephants sensed about Lawrence's passing, but also because of the profound memory and emotion the beloved animals evoked in such an organized way: Walking slowly - for days - Making their way in a solemn one-by-one queue from their habitat to his house.

Lawrence's wife, Francoise, was especially touched, knowing that the elephants had not been to his house prior to that day for well over 3 years! But yet they knew where they were going.

The elephants obviously wanted to pay their deep respects, honoring their friend who'd saved their lives - so much respect that they stayed for 2 days 2 nights without eating anything. Then one morning, they left, making their long journey back.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elephants are amazing (whether this story is true or not).

I heard some woman (who's name escapes me) talking on NPR about her lifelong work studying elephants. They will recognize another elephant's "voice" even after 20 years apart (and celebrate seeing each other). In one story, she told how an elephant died and others came from miles away to pay their respects. Which they did by going single file past the dead elephant. Some paused, some touched it with their trunks but whatever they did it was clear this was a funeral.

Awesome story! Looks like it's true, I found a link that looks legit:

Strombo | UPDATE: Elephants Who Appeared To Mourn Their Human Friend Remain Protected
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Thread Information