Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Child dies after fall into zoo exhibit and being attacked by African painted dogs

Default Child dies after fall into zoo exhibit and being attacked by African painted dogs

Not sure what the real problem was here - poor design, a parent not paying attention or a little of both. For irony purposes, though, I added a May story at the end about the dogs finding their way through a hole in the fence and escaping into a backup pen.

Child dies after fall into Pittsburgh zoo exhibit and being attacked by African painted dogs - Yahoo! News

PITTSBURGH, Pa. - Officials say a young child died after falling into an exhibit at the Pittsburgh zoo and being mauled by African painted dogs.
    Tracy Gray of the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium said the accident happened at about 11:45 a.m. Sunday. It's not clear whether the child died from the fall or the attack.
    Zoo president and CEO Barbara Baker says the child, who was about 3 years old, fell about 14 feet into the exhibit. She says there were 11 dogs in the enclosure and some attacked the child.
    The zoo says that the animals are about as big as medium-sized domestic dogs, two to 2 1/2 feet high and 37 to 80 pounds. They are considered endangered.

African Painted Dogs Escape Main Exhibit Area At Zoo

May 5, 2012 6:55 PM

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – The escape of several rare African Painted Dogs from their main exhibit area temporarily shut down the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium Saturday morning.
    People visiting the zoo were quickly brought inside, but zoo officials say there was never a serious danger since the dog remained enclosed in a backup yard.
    They are rare animals; there are fewer than 5,000 of them in the world.

The Pittsburgh Zoo is helping to preserve the African Painted Dog, which is described as an inquisitive animal.
    So inquisitive, that nine of the dogs found a tiny opening in the fence Saturday morning, crawled under it and got out of their regular exhibit area.

“They actually were never out of their exhibit. They were never out of their fence-line,” said Dr. Barbara Baker, the director of the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium. “They simply were in a backup yard, rather than in their main exhibit.”
    But the zoo took full precautions, calling a Code Red when the incident happened.
    Officials say about 200 people on the zoo grounds were ushered into buildings to be on the safe side. But zoo officials say no one was in danger.
    They finally coaxed the dogs back into their exhibit area the same way you’d get your dog to return home, with food.
    Now, the zoo is fixing the fence.
    “We’ll inspect that fence-line, make sure that there’s no openings again,” said Baker. “Then, they’ll be able to be out on exhibit again.”

What a shitty scenario. Hopefully the poor child died from the fall rather than the dog attack.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

oh god, poor child.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Once again - PARENTS, where the HELL are you? Your kid doesn't know not to do this - YOU DO. UGH!!!!!
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Poor baby. This should never have happened.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Once again - PARENTS, where the HELL are you?
    I know where the parents were.
    "Pittsburgh police's major crimes Lt. Kevin Kraus said the child’s mother had lifted him onto a railing on a deck for the exhibit housing 11 of the wild dogs.
    “The mother picked the child up, put him on the railing,” Kraus said. “Almost immediately after that, he fell into the pit.”"
    Child, 2, killed after falling into African painted dog... | www.wpxi.com

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

OMG. She seriously put the child on the railing? That poor child.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

It reminds me of an even more horrific dumb-parent-at-the-zoo story I read when I was a teenager.

Maybe they should have shot the dumbass mother instead of the endangered painted dog.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

That's terrible. Poor little boy.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    It reminds me of an even more horrific dumb-parent-at-the-zoo story I read when I was a teenager.
    Don't tell me someone dangled their baby over an exhibit? I don't put anything past anyone.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Did she take parenting lessons from Michael Jackson?
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Don't tell me someone dangled their baby over an exhibit? I don't put anything past anyone.
    I looked it up and it looks like it was an urban legend. I had read it in National Lampoon Magazine back in the let 70's early 80's, in their Weird News section. Basically, a mom had put honey on her daughter's hands so that she could get a photo of the bear licking her daughters hands -- except he chomped them off. Snopes says that they have not been able to find proof that this was a real story - which I'm happy to read.

But people really are just that stupid. Remember a year or two ago some grown ass German woman decided to swim with the polar bears at the Berlin Zoo, and then was shocked, SHOCKED, when they tried to eat her?

ETA: I found the video:

FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    "Pittsburgh police's major crimes Lt. Kevin Kraus said the child’s mother had lifted him onto a railing on a deck for the exhibit housing 11 of the wild dogs. “The mother picked the child up, put him on the railing,” Kraus said. “Almost immediately after that, he fell into the pit.”
    Wow. A combo of stupid and careless.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information