Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: High School pep rally's racist display -blackface skit of Chris Brown beating Rihanna

Default High School pep rally's racist display -blackface skit of Chris Brown beating Rihanna

At the most resent Pep Rally for Waverly High School, located in Waverly NY, the usual fanfare of cheering for the home team to get them ready was in full swing. As the rally progressed you had your usual cheers and rally cries for the fall sports teams and the football team. It seemed to have done well, with Waverly defeating their opponent 70-21. But what happened at that pep rally went much farther than simple cheers.

Three white students were to perform a skit in black face, depicting Chris Brown and Rhianna most notibly. In this skit they would display acts of domestic violence as satire to an audience that included not only students but parents, faculty, and various members of the media and community leaders. None of them stopped the skit. Now former students of Waverly High School are questioning how this was allowed to happen." I think it's unconscionable that such blatant racism has been tacitly approved two years in a row," says Waverly alumni and Yale graduate Vlad Chituc. "The administration should be creating an environment where minorities are welcome, not the butts of racist jokes that make light of domestic violence."

"I think it's unconscionable that such blatant racism has been tacitly approved of two years in a row. The administration should be creating an environment where minorities are welcome, not the butts of racist jokes that make light of domestic violence."
    Fellow former Waverly student Hannah Van Wie-Desisti shared sentiments with her former schoolmate:

"I used to be so proud of where I came from. Not so much now due to the recent incident. I found it unfathomable that the faculty would not only approve this idea for the skit in the first place, but allow it to go on during the pep rally. I honestly don't believe that the students meant to offend, but were just ill informed of how offending their skit actually was. The staff should have stopped it before it even started. By acting like the skit was acceptable, they are teaching their students that racism is okay and that abuse is humorous. The whole thing outraged me and made me so disappointed in the school that I was once loved."

The offensive nature of what took place is made even more concerning know that in order for a skit to take place at the rally it had to be OK'ed by the administration of the school. A comment from the school district was not available at this time.
    http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-858297

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea!?

First observation: The person who wrote that article needs to learn how to spell.

Now on to the point: High school pep rallies are usually overseen by the varsity cheerleading coach. They are supposed to be planned by the cheerleading coach and the cheerleaders, with the coach making the important decisions and approving everything the kids want to do beforehand. When the coach is more interested in being friends with the cheerleaders than being the adult, setting boundaries, and telling them "no," this is what happens. I was a coach for several years and was always very careful not to allow my kids to do anything inappropriate or offensive, but unfortunately, many coaches would rather act like Amy "I'm a Cool Mom!!!" Poehler in Mean Girls than a responsible adult.
    Bluebonnet and nancydrew like this.

Y'know when it comes to racism the south always gets a bad rap but I honestly feel sometimes that more actual racism exists in the north because you have large areas and in some cities large burroughs where there are literally a shitload of (ignorant ass) whiteys and practically no minorities whatsoever within their little (or big) community.

I think people who grow up so insulated get all their damned ideas about other groups from these stupid assed celebrities and stuff they see on TV, which is always the crazy stereotype shit.

Don't know how many black people exist in Waverly, NY. But definitely curious, since this shit went unchecked for 2 years.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I'm flabbergasted at the comments on that article. They still don't see anything wrong with it.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Just curious... so, if it was just white people that portrayed domestic violence, no one would have been upset? If so, then why wasnt that a consideration? Doesnt it seem a lot more convenient in general not to have to dress up/use make-up? Why did it matter that it had to be Chris Brown?

I'm just asking because the whole thing seems insanely stupid. The team wins a game, and like mentioned this "rally" should have been planned or at least monitored by a staff/adult, and they decide to focus on domestic violence? WHY? Just seems like some kind of after school special or midday - long BEFORE the game - rally. And it going unchecked for 2 years?

I'm not as concerned about no one stopping it DURING the skit, people could have been in shock, or embarrassed to speak up... or now knowing it's been going on for 2 YEARS, knew better than to speak up - apparently it's the norm there. There's just so many questions & I'm guessing no one is going to give a good answer.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

school officials who approve any skit about domestic violence as part of a pep rally? monumentally stupid idiots.

school officials who approve a skit about domestic violence with white kids in blackface in 2012? I HOPE YOU GET EATEN ALIVE BY A BEAR.
    Waterslide likes this.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Y'know when it comes to racism the south always gets a bad rap but I honestly feel sometimes that more actual racism exists in the north because you have large areas and in some cities large burroughs where there are literally a shitload of (ignorant ass) whiteys and practically no minorities whatsoever within their little (or big) community.
    Totally agree. I see and hear people from the eastern, northern, and western U.S. say some really racist shit, but don't realize that they are at all because they associate that exclusively with the southern U.S.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I live in redneckville, MS. Everyone on the planet wants to paint this as racism central, and while I'm certainly not denying it exists here (and we've got our weirdo fringe groups) it would take about two seconds for someone..black or white...to call (bitchyouareoutyo'fuckin'mind!) bullshit and pull the plug on this racist shit before it even saw the light of day where I live.

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Makes me wonder what skit ideas were rejected.
    chartreuse, Seapharris7 and Trixie like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Makes you wonder who is actually in charge at these schools.

I've lived in several different areas of the US and I'm surprised to find that the most racist people I have ever met are right here in Orange County, CA. I feel like I live in the one of the podunk towns people talk about that dot the southern US. There was an article that was in our local paper about the white supremacist groups that are popping up out here and the comments on the article were sickening. People don't think there's anything wrong with it.

I think one of the major differences is in the south when people are hyper sensitive to "racism"... SOMEONE would have said something before this even happened.

"You want to put white kids in blackface? Gee, that sounds like something people would get upset over...."
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I live in redneckville, MS. Everyone on the planet wants to paint this as racism central, and while I'm certainly not denying it exists here (and we've got our weirdo fringe groups) it would take about two seconds for someone..black or white...to call (bitchyouareoutyo'fuckin'mind!) bullshit and pull the plug on this racist shit before it even saw the light of day where I live.
    Yep, exactly. I lived in Central Mississippi, in Jackson during high school and went to Southern Miss in Hattiesburg. It's funny to me how people from other parts of the country talk about how racist they think Mississippi is, when racism is not exclusive to the Southern US. I'm not going to say it's nonexistent, but there's more of an "understanding" in the Southern US than other parts of the country. Because in the Northeast, Midwest, and West Coast, most blacks live in the urban areas while in the south, blacks live all over the place, so even during the Jim Crow era, blacks and whites interacted a lot more in the south than other parts of the country. So there is a lack of exposure that becomes a factor in people's prejudices.

I remember when an aunt of mine from Los Angeles came down here to Atlanta to visit, we passed by Lenox Square, which is a very popular mall here, and she remarked that "I heard black people weren't allowed in that mall". This was in 2007, not 1957 BTW...I gave her the sideeye, because really, LA is one of the more segregated cities in the country, and there has been a history of racial tension in that city that lasts to this day. Southern California has a large number of white supremacist groups, and the Mexican-Black tension in South LA has been well documented too.

Like I said before, people suck, regardless of region, color, etc.
    What Kind of Welfare, Witchcraft Hocus Pocus Hoedown is this?!

Quote Originally Posted by Seapharris7 View Post
    Just curious... so, if it was just white people that portrayed domestic violence, no one would have been upset? If so, then why wasnt that a consideration? Doesnt it seem a lot more convenient in general not to have to dress up/use make-up? Why did it matter that it had to be Chris Brown?

I'm just asking because the whole thing seems insanely stupid. The team wins a game, and like mentioned this "rally" should have been planned or at least monitored by a staff/adult, and they decide to focus on domestic violence? WHY? Just seems like some kind of after school special or midday - long BEFORE the game - rally. And it going unchecked for 2 years?

I'm not as concerned about no one stopping it DURING the skit, people could have been in shock, or embarrassed to speak up... or now knowing it's been going on for 2 YEARS, knew better than to speak up - apparently it's the norm there. There's just so many questions & I'm guessing no one is going to give a good answer.
    Even without the blackface it still would've been offensive cause there's nothing funny about domestic violence. If this happened at a majority black school, there would've been some rightful controversy out of this imo cause kids - regardless of color- should fucking know better.

The "2 years" thing threw me off too. What did they do the year before? I mean what happened to just having cheerleaders run in the gym and stand on each other's heads for a pep rally?
    Callalily likes this.

Well, I am very embarrassed to say that I am from NEAR that area. I went to school about 15 min away from this town and actually worked in this town for several years. It is on the border of PA, and is a fairly small town. The biggest 'city' is hours away. Not a lot going on. There is a big hospital nearby that supports a lot of the area, but it's pretty depressing otherwise. I know several people who currently live there, one who has a daughter in High school. The others all have small children. Every single one of them: white and EXTREMELY religious. Like stupid religious. Just trying to paint a picture of what I know for sure....

When I was working there, I never saw any kind of racism, ever. But am I shocked? No....this is a back hills type of area and I can easily see a sector of the community supporting this ridiculousness. Hillbillies.

Once, I went to a bar in Waverly. It was in someones house---like they just got a liquor license and opened the doors to their home. And you sit in their living room. Another bar: was up this hill (dirt road) and the bar was in this barn like structure and the tables were those giant spool things from a farm and few chairs. There was a saw dust floor and pigs running around. If you could catch one of the pigs, you drank for free. No, didn't catch one. Again, more painting the picture of the town.

So.... Yup, the Yankees are just as bad unfortunately.

And hey, let me know if you want to know where to go drinking if you are ever around here.
    Linne likes this.

I figured it was a bunch of ignorant ass white people for whom interaction with a real live black person would be about as rare as bumping into a unicorn.
    Callalily likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information