Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Olive Garden, Red Lobster Cut Back Work Hours to Avoid Paying for Health Insurance

Default Olive Garden, Red Lobster Cut Back Work Hours to Avoid Paying for Health Insurance

Darden Restaurants Inc., the parent company of popular casual dining establishments such as Olive Garden, Red Lobster, and LongHorn Steakhouse, is no longer offering full-time work schedules to employees at "a select number" of restaurants in four markets across the country.

Though details were scant, the company did say there were no immediate plans to expand the "test," which is aimed at "help[ing] us address the cost implications health care reform will have on our business."

Starting January 2014, when most major provisions of the Affordable Care Act go into effect, companies with over 50 employees will be required to provide health insurance to employees working over 30 hours a week.

Companies that flout the law will be fined $3,000 per uncovered employee.

"I think a lot of those employers, especially restaurants, are just going to ensure nobody gets scheduled more than 30 hours a week," Matthew Snook of the human-resources consulting company Mercer told the Orlando Sentinel.

Jumping the gun, Darden said in its statement that employees at restaurants where the pilot program was put in place will be limited to 28 hours a week.

A recent study by the nonpartisan Urban Institute found that companies with over 1,000 employees will only experience a 4.3 percent increase in overall spending due to added healthcare costs. Currently, some 75 percent of Darden's 180,000 employees are already working exclusively part-time and are not eligible for benefits.

Darden, which, ironically, bills itself as "the world's largest full-service restaurant company," made headlines last year when it started a "tip sharing" program requiring the waitstaff to share its tips with all other employees. According to the Associated Press, "That allows Darden to pay more workers a far lower 'tip credit wage' of $2.13, rather than the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour."

Olive Garden, Red Lobster Scale Back Employee Work Hours to Avoid Paying for Health Insurance
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Even if I ate at those shit holes before now, I certainly wouldn't after reading this shit
    Bluebonnet and lurkur like this.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Like they are the only ones.

There's going to be a hell of lot more companies doing this shit.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    There's going to be a hell of lot more companies doing this shit.
    i agree. the rest of us will be screwed in some similar fashion regarding healthcare costs. the employee portion of my healthcare payment increases every year and the coverage is now in the crapper. sucks all around and i can't imagine having to fund it all myself.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Elite Member

Yet another reason why it is completely absurd to have our health insurance system tied to our employers.
    Quazar and Dean James like this.

^^Yup. Because then you have to regulate them. And that's more laws, more lawyers/investigators/whatever to enforce the laws, more lawsuits, more big government, more this, more that, it never ends.

Don't eat at these dung heap "restaurants" anyway, certainly won't now. Not that they care. There are always enough stupid fat hongrey sheep to keep them open.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Here is the full list if you wish to avoid the hellholes.

Red Lobster
    Olive Garden
    LongHorn Steakhouse
    The Capital Grille
    Bahama Breeze
    Seasons 52
    Eddie V's
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I already hate Olive Garden and Red Lobster, one more reason to avoid them.
    chartreuse likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

The only ones on the list I liked are Longhorn and Capital Grille. My son doesn't like Longhorn, so we haven't been in ages, and we don't have a Capital here, so no problem for me to avoid this shit.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Who the hell eats at Red Lobster anyway. Overpriced garbage food for idiots.
    nancydrew likes this.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

There are a ton of businesses here in So Cal that are only hiring people part time to avoid paying for benefits. They figure they only need office assistants, office managers, admins, etc for less than 30 hours per week. They get around all sorts of things. No paid vacation, sick days, benefits, etc.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Who the hell eats at Red Lobster anyway. Overpriced garbage food for idiots.
    i challenge you to find me a better tasting cheddar biscuit!

unpopular opinion - i will continue to eat at these places (capital grille, bahama breeze, season's 52 and the occasional biscuit from red lobster) because i like the food.
    Mel1973 likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Olive garden; go for the bread sticks, stay for the bread sticks.
    Mel1973 likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Gold Member

This is what my workplace does with part-timers. They keep them under 20 hours or else they have to pay them health care.

I rarely eat at any of these places anyway, nor would I if I had the chance. Sorry but Olive Garden is fucking terrible food. I am stunned that they are still in business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information