Thread: High school students suspended for possession of energy mints

fgg

Default High school students suspended for possession of energy mints

High school students suspended for possession of energy mints

A group of high school students in Pekin, Ill., were suspended last week after school officials suspected the mints they were eating were actually illegal drugs.

Jason McMichael, the father of one of the students, told the Journal Star that his 17-year-old son Eric was suspended for two days from Pekin Community High School and not allowed to attend the school's homecoming festivities after staffers found four students eating energy mint tablets that are marketed like caffeine energy drinks.

McMichael said he received a phone call from the dean's office informing him of his son's suspension and that the teen was being monitored by the school nurse for an elevated heart rate—though McMichael doesn't believe it was due to the energy mints.

"He's never been in trouble," McMichael said. "He was probably just nervous."

Eric McMichael said he and three others were eating Revive tablets—touted as "nature's energy mints"—in the school cafeteria when they were disciplined.

"People bring energy drinks to school every day," the teen told Central Illinois' WMBD-TV. "I see this every day and we get in trouble for energy mints?"

According to EnergyFiend.com, each mint contains 101 milligrams of caffeine along with guarana, green tea, ginseng, acai, mangosteen and goji. The Revive brand is endorsed by several MMA fighters and fitness pageant contestants.

McMichael's father said school officials later admitted they did not know if the chewable, unmarked mints were, in fact, illegal drugs but upheld the suspensions anyway, saying the teens displayed "gross misconduct for taking an unknown product."

"Now they know nothing illegal happened," McMichael said on Friday, "but they're still pursuing the suspension."

Superintendent Paula Davis told the paper that while she was not able to discuss the incident, school officials would have been within their rights to discipline the students if they were seen "ingesting things that look like unmarked pills."

High school students suspended for possession of energy mints | The Lookout - Yahoo! News
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Now it's not enough to actually do something wrong. If it looks to someone as if you are doing something wrong but actually aren't, you can still be punished. Maybe they should focus more on the quality of the education they're giving and making sure kids aren't getting bullied than this nonsense. But that's just me.

"gross misconduct for taking an unknown product."
    An unknown product? Seriously?

"Now they know nothing illegal happened," McMichael said on Friday, "but they're still pursuing the suspension."
    That is such BS.

Superintendent Paula Davis told the paper that while she was not able to discuss the incident, school officials would have been within their rights to discipline the students if they were seen "ingesting things that look like unmarked pills."
    Most pills aren't "marked", I don't even know what that means. Plain old candy can look like unmarked pills. And meanwhile, there are probably kids in the parking lot snorting lines off their dashboards.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Gold Member

This is becoming a damned joke. I know, I know, the school district doesn't want the lawsuits in case there's a 1 in a million chance something goes wrong, but this is bordering on absurdity.

Elite Member

The kids here can't bring any pills to school, even caffeine pills or Ibuprofen. The administration has to be hard line on pills because they have no way of telling what the substance is. I'm not even sure they can bring throat drops. I guess there was enough drug dealing in schools that this ban had to happen.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

swiss army knife
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Ridiculous I know. When my son had a cold he took Halls to school and had it confiscated until the end of the day. He did not get in trouble but was told he can't bring it to school because it has menthol (sp?) in it.

Thread Information