Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By witchcurlgirl

Thread: NJ Teen Fakes her abduction with help of twitter

Default NJ Teen Fakes her abduction with help of twitter

I started to follow this story last night and it was very confusing. The girl tweeted that someone was in her house and asked people to call 911. It started a huge twitter campaign to #findkara. Then the story started to fall apart but the police still had to keep looking since her parents came home and she was gone. Sick people started to tweet stuff about her being found dead and so on. In the end it looks like it is all a hoax and that she ran away. As a mother, my fist concern was that this girl, at the age of 16, has an unprotected twitter and had more than 37,000 followers. She is now over 94k. It is crazy that she would have so many followers. I looked at her recent tweets and she seems like a bitchy teenager.

Missing N.J. teen Kara Alongi's tweet was hoax, police say | NJ.com

Missing N.J. teen Kara Alongi's tweet was hoax, police say
    Published: Monday, October 01, 2012, 9:25 AM Updated: Monday, October 01, 2012, 10:54 AM
    By Eunice Lee/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

Clark teenager Kara Alongi, right, sent out a tweet last night that someone was in her home, pictured on the left. Police are still searching for her.
    CLARK The Clark teenager who tweeted Sunday night that someone was in her house and implored her followers to call 911 likely left her home voluntarily, township police said this morning.

Kara Alongi's disappearance is now being investigated as that of a runaway juvenile, Clark police chief Alan Scherb said.

Her parents returned home around 7:20 p.m. and called police, about an hour after the Arthur L. Johnson High School student tweeted, "There is somone in my hour ecall 911."

Family members were away at the time of the tweet, and returned home to find Alongi missing. They called police to report a burglary and a missing person, but when police arrived at the house they found no signs of forced entry or stolen property, Scherb said. A door was unlocked.

Kara Alongi
    @KaraAlongi There is somone in my hour ecall 911
    30 Sep 12 ReplyRetweetFavoriteWith the help of K-9 units, police tracked her scent from the back door of the house, through a neighbor's yard and around the corner back onto her block where the scent went cold, Scherb said.

Police then found that someone called a local taxi company asking for a car at Alongi's address around the same time as the tweet, and a cab driver confirmed that he dropped off a person matching the girl's description at the Rahway train station.

It is not clear whether she got on a train, police said. She left her cell phone at home.

This morning TV trucks and news media lined the street outside her Clark home, though most dispersed after police sent out a press release saying Alongi had run away voluntarily. Family members did not speak to the media, but one told a reporter the missing girl was "very nice."

Scherb said police have not determined whether Alongi will face any kind of penalty or punishment. Detectives are focused on locating her and bringing her homer safely, he said.

Copy photo/The Star-LedgerKara Alongi, the missing teen from Clark, seen in her Johnson High School yearbook photo.
    "We don't know why she sent (the tweet) out," Scherb said. "Right now we are not looking at any charges."

Alongi's tweet went viral overnight, with thousands of messages about Alongi's reported disappearance and efforts like the hashtag #helpfindkara trending nationally on the site. As of 10:45 a.m. today, Alongi had more than 94,000 Twitter followers.

Clark police were flooded with an estimated 6,000 phone calls after Alongi's tweet spread across the internet.

"It sent more manpower (down) these wrong-way streets," Scherb said. "It hampers us because we have to follow up on bogus leads."

Scherb said the department even received calls from psychics offering their help in finding Alongi.

As to the influence social media had on the case, Scherb said, "I'm sure this will be a case study down the road."

Anyone with information about Alongi's whereabouts is asked to call Clark police or send an anonymous tip to Union County Crime Stoppers at 908-654-TIPS, Union County Crime Stoppers or text UCTIP plus a message to 274637.

Star-Ledger staff writer Ryan Hutchins contributed to this report.
    Last edited by sluce; October 1st, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

fgg

i hope they can charge her with something along the lines of filing a false report (i know they can't do that one specifically...) so she gets in trouble for wasting so many resources are her dumb ass.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Clark police were flooded with an estimated 6,000 phone calls after Alongi's tweet spread across the internet.

"It sent more manpower (down) these wrong-way streets," Scherb said. "It hampers us because we have to follow up on bogus leads."

Scherb said the department even received calls from psychics offering their help in finding Alongi.

I could never be a cop, because I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to taser those inbreeds who call the tip-line with shit like "I'm a CSI fan; here's my $0.02 on where you should look" and "my ex-boyfriend, who just dumped me, did it. I know he did because he's evil/is a Taurus/why else would he dump me!1!"

This 16 year old might be attention seeking, or a big fame whore; either way, she needs a boot up her arse for wasting police resources.
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

Nancy Grace is gonna be pissed. She was planning on covering this until sweeps.
    sluce likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Stupid attention whore. I hope they find her and take her home safely, but then I hope her dumb ass gets slapped with some kind of minor charge and her Twitter is shut down. How does some random teenager even get 37,000 followers in the first place? That, to me, suggests she loves attention even more than a normal teenager and has issues (duh!).
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Thread Information