Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Bullied teen is voted on to homecoming court as cruel prank

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Bullied teen is voted on to homecoming court as cruel prank

Bullied teen is voted on to homecoming court as cruel prank... but then entire town comes out to support her

A Michigan teen who was elected to her high school’s homecoming court in a cruel prank by some classmates has drawn an incredible show of support from her small community.

Whitney Kropp, 16, a student at Ogemaw Heights High School, was initially thrilled to learn that she had been elected to the homecoming court of her sophomore class.

But her triumph turned to humiliation when she found out from other students that her nomination was nothing but a prank by the popular kids at the school - and she was told that the male student who was elected with her had withdrawn.

Her mother Bernice Kropp told NBC that the joke prompted students to pick on her daughter both at school and on Facebook.

Whitney Kropp admits that she's not among the popular students at Ogemaw, but didn't think her classmates could stoop so low. Yet the bullying became so relentless that she thought about taking her own life.

She told WNEM-TV: 'I had actually reached a point where I had thought about suicide for how bad this case was in. I thought I wasn't worthy at Ogemaw Heights at all.'

'I felt like I wasn’t worthy,' she added on the Today show. 'Why even be a part of this community, this world if I’m just going to be tossed around like basically a piece of trash?'

But the savage bullying was soon overpowered by a tremendous outpouring of support for the teen.

A Facebook page was set up in support of Miss Kropp; the 'Support Whitney Kropp' page already has more than 33,000 likes - and counting.

Kindess: Donations have helped Kropp pay for her dress, hair and make-up for the dance on Saturday night

For the homecoming dance on Saturday night, businesses will buy her dinner, take her photo, fix her hair and nails, and dress her in a gown, shoes and a tiara, the Detroit News reported.

Shannon Champagne and another beauty salon worker have offered their services to help.

'It really touched me,' Champagne, a nail tech, said. 'I can't believe that kids can be so mean and ruthless. In high school, everything means everything to you. You don't realize that none of it will matter after you leave.'

And at the homecoming game on Friday, residents will flood to the football stadium so they can cheer when she is introduced at halftime. They will wear orange - her favourite colour - and t-shirts emblazoned with messages of support.

'I am in awe, overwhelmed at the amount of support,' Jamie Kline, 35, who began the Facebook support page, told the News. 'I never expected it to spread as far as it has.'

For Miss Kropp, the messages and kind words from the town and complete strangers thousands of miles away is enough to drown out the bullies - and she's now looking forward to the big dance.

Bernice Kropp told WNEM: 'This was something that was really awful, could have ended awful, and because so many people came together, it just turned right around.'

Kropp recounted to the News how she had been sitting in her geometry class on September 13 when the results of the homecoming vote were announced over the school PA system - to the laughter of some of her fellow classmates.

Despite her surprise, she had been happy that she had been called, her mother said.

'The first thing is softhearted,' Bernice Kropp said when asked to describe her daughter. 'She's just sweet. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body.'

Even when Josh Awrey, a popular football player, quickly withdrew as the other sophomore rep, she was still excited about the news.

'In the Homecoming Court! ' she wrote on her Facebook page after the announcement. 'Little nervous but this is going to be fun '

After the backlash, Awrey has now decided to remain a class rep, even though he said on his Facebook page that he had never wanted to be part of homecoming.

'Im sick of everyone blaming me,' he wrote. 'I had nothing to do with this. I think what they (students) did is rlly rude and immature.'

Read more: Whitney Kropp: Bullied teen in homecoming prank gets entire town behind her | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What a bunch of shitfucks. I'm glad the town supported her.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

This made me cry. I love her courage and the people who are turning this situation around to offer support. The stupid football player should spend some time getting to know her and take her to the dance as a friend.
    MsChiff and clairescavys like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

fgg

poor thing!

how could she not know immediately upon her name being announced that it was a cruel joke?
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    That's the first thing I thought too, Greys!

I hope the "popular" kids who thought this was super hilarious to do to someone are horribly embarrassed.
    Bluebonnet, clairescavys and Honey like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I hope the "popular" kids who thought this was super hilarious to do to someone are horribly embarrassed.
    They're probably just pissed that it backfired. To go to this extent to humiliate someone they don't consider 'cool enough' suggests that they are entitled brats and lacking in empathy. It wouldn't surprise me if one or two of them are whining somewhere about how they are the real victims in this.
    holly likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

That poor girl, bullying is a terrible thing to do and I hope the people who nominated her read replies on what cruel assholes they are, and take a little of that to heart.

I'm so glad that she's going to do it, to show those kids that their words won't affect her, and I hope her Homecoming is amazing.

Gold Member

This story really made me smile. I love the fact that the bullies had the tables turned on them. It makes me feel good that the town turned out for her.

Why do American schools do these things to teens? As if being a teenager isn't bad enough, they have to have all this bullshit too?

She seems like a complete darling. Her bully classmates are disgusting little shitstains who should just die.
    Karistiona likes this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

^ That's a generalization. I went to public schools in CA my whole life and there was no bullying like in movies or kids beating up other kids. Just normal kid stuff. My husband went to Catholic schools and never saw any extreme bullying either. I don't know where this shit happens because no one I know saw this type of stuff in schools and I have friends who grew up in large cities, small towns and everything in between. *shrugs*
    sprynkles and Seapharris7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I'd love to have read their names in the article. I hope it takes years for them to live this down in their own town at least. Yeah, I'm sure they're whining about how mean everyone's been to them. Assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    ^ That's a generalization. I went to public schools in CA my whole life and there was no bullying like in movies or kids beating up other kids. Just normal kid stuff. My husband went to Catholic schools and never saw any extreme bullying either. I don't know where this shit happens because no one I know saw this type of stuff in schools and I have friends who grew up in large cities, small towns and everything in between. *shrugs*
    We never had anything this bad at my school either really. A couple of super goobery boys and girls got needled and picked on a bit, but nothing major and they did have friends, etc. Seems to me people who are acting this cruel at such an early age bear watching.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I don't mean the bullying. I mean the whole notion of homecoming or being voted by your classmates as most beautiful ever prom queen, likely to succeed or whatever this is. In general voting for anything other than class president/student board. Other euros can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it's just not done in Europe.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Awww this made me cry. I hope she is able to enjoy her night! Fuck those fucks who tried to prank her, they mostly end up leading very average lives. If she uses this to her advantage she can become extraordinary.
    sprynkles likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information