Login to remove the ads!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kittylady

Thread: “Sorry, we only help men”: Raped girl turned away by Salvation Army

Default “Sorry, we only help men”: Raped girl turned away by Salvation Army

Elliot Mannix said the people who did not help the woman are 'scum'

When Elliot Mannix saw a rape victim pleading for help in Nottingham he knew he had to go to her aid despite other passers-by ignoring her.
    Witnessing her distress brought back his own memories of when, as a seven-year-old, he had a burning bottle of petrol thrown at him, setting him alight.
    Now 18, Mr Mannix was the only one to help the 17-year-old rape victim as she shouted for help, while naked from the waist down, in the early hours of 25 March.
    However, he was shocked to find that the nearby branch of the Salvation Army he took her to also refused to help her.
    A judge this week said Mr Mannix should receive a £500 reward for his actions and a commendation from the court.
    Speaking the day after the young woman's attacker was jailed for 10 years, he believes his own ordeal inspired him to help her.

Karam "targeted" the teenager, Judge Stokes said

"There were people just walking past her, like they couldn't hear her," he said.
    "I could hear her from miles away just shouting 'Help, help, help'.
    "Everyone was just ignoring her and that's why I walked down.
    'They are scum'
    "There was five people who walked straight past her and just blanked her.
    "Obviously they are scum, aren't they?"
    Twenty-eight-year-old Mawawe Karam was jailed by a judge at Nottingham Crown Court.
    Karam, originally from Sudan, pleaded guilty on Wednesday, shortly after indecently exposing himself in court.

After raping the teenager Karam stole her mobile phone, leaving her with no way of contacting her anxious mother.
    It is not clear how long she had been pleading for help before Mr Mannix found her at 04:45 BST, but police said the attack happened at about 03:10 BST.

Judge Michael Stokes QC said: "I get the impression some people had ignored her and passed by her, thinking she was on something or drunk, and they just ignored her."
    Prosecutor Dawn Pritchard told the court it would have been "absolutely clear" to a man working in the Salvation Army building the 17-year-old was semi-naked.
    Karam raped the teenager in an alley at Sneinton Market

"They refused to help and turned the intercom off," said Ms Pritchard.
    Mr Mannix said: "The man that was in reception looked at me and I said 'Can you ring someone for this girl? Can you ring the police or a taxi or something? She just wants to go home'.
    "I says 'Basically I've just found her, she's been raped'. He says 'Oh we can't help you. All we do is help males'.
    "I was like 'What do you mean? All she needs is the police or a taxi or something, or even ring her mum'."
    Mr Mannix then took the teenager to nearby flats where the police attended.
    In response to the court claims, a Salvation Army spokesperson said: "We are appalled at this horrific crime.
    "We have no record of the allegation made in court but will be investigating this further. We would never knowingly turn away a person in need and are concerned about the allegation made."

BBC News - Teenager was only person to help Nottingham rape victim

Blog Entries

I wanna hug both Elliot and the victim. She testified in court - extraordinary courage.
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

Wow. My mind is blown that they would turn her away.

I stopped shopping at their grotty stores quite a while ago due to their general obnoxiousness. Boooo Sally Army. Where's all that good Christian spirit? Ugh.

But also...who the hell were all those assholes who ignored her? They deserve a good solid boot to the head as well. What is wrong with people....
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I find this hard to believe. I know it was a male hostel but why couldn't they even call the police for them? Very odd.

That's it, no more donations. Utter scum.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Blog Entries

They couldn't help her in her time of need, I bet if she was there with a donation they would have made the time. Fuckers.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

The Salvation Army also apparently turned off the intercom. I think they urgently need to make a policy statement.

Poor girl. I'm glad she survived thanks to the kindness of the man who helped her. I hope he does get a commendation from the court and a £500 reward.

I stopped donating to these fuckers a long time ago. The only thing I'd give them is one of these: File:Queer Dollars-3.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Sort of o/t but a Salvation Army story.

I was shopping at the mall around christmas time and as I left, I stopped to give some money to the Salvation Army ringer sitting outside the door. After I made a donation, the ringer (a woman) says "thank you. And now this one is for me." She pulled out a coffee can and held it up for me to put money in.

I wonder how much she pilfered off the legit donations if and when she didn't get enough personal ones.

I thought the Salvation Army's motto was "Doing the Most Good."

Yeah. Right.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I interviewed for an office job at our local Sally Army hostel a while back and this makes me glad I didn't get it. I wouldn't want to work for an organisation that could do this. If I'd have been on the intercom that night then policy wouldn't have mattered at all; I would have had them inside and safe and the police on the phone.

FWIW several years ago an ex and I were on our way back to his after a night out when we came across a guy trying to run away after attempting to rape and strangle a young woman and it never crossed either of our minds to walk on by. The ex helped hold the sicko until he was arrested (possibly the only decent thing the ex has ever done in his life) and I ran down to stay with the young woman until the police and an ambulance arrived. We both had to spend hours at the police station giving statements, DNA swabs (to eliminate us should any cross contamination have occurred while I was looking after her) and sign paperwork agreeing to testify in Court. Was it a hassle? Yes. Would I do it again? Absofuckinglutely, because whatever trouble it was for us it was nothing compared to what that girl had gone through and I wanted to do my part to get that bastard off the streets. People who think that stuff like this isn't their business need to remember that one day it might be them, or their wife, sister or daughter who needs help.
    yanna and teforde23 like this.
    We can't stop here. This is bat country.

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

That's amazing, Kitty. I'm so glad you were able to help. I've never ran accross anything similar but when I was mugged and the moron boyfriend ran after the mugger leaving me alone in what was possibly the worst area of Athens there were two extremely nice guys who stayed with me and tried to calm me down as I waited for the idiot (who was gone for nearly half an hour and didn't recover my bag, of course). I'm very grateful to them.
    Under the most beautiful peacock's tail always hides the usual chicken butt.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Nah, it wasn't anything amazing Yanna. It needed to be done so I did it. I hold firmly to the view that you should always try and act in a way that you'd want others to if you were in a bad situation. I did what I could; I kept the woman as calm as I could under the circumstances, monitored her breathing, kept the male security guard from the nearby offices away from her (I figured a man trying to get near/touch her was the last thing she'd want) and stopped the police car that came screaming along from running us both over. The hardest part was trying to help while keeping physical contact to a minimum so as not to mess up any trace. I wanted to make sure that the dicksplash responsible went down for it.

In the end we didn't need to go Court. The bastard denied it all right up to the opening day of his trial and then changed his plea to guilty. IIRC he got 7 years, which was pathetic considering it later came out that it wasn't his first offense. He'll be out by now, unless he's been done for something else since.
    We can't stop here. This is bat country.

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Thread Information