Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 50 Shades of Grey sex scenes 'are like crimes of Fred West', says women's refuge boss

Default 50 Shades of Grey sex scenes 'are like crimes of Fred West', says women's refuge boss

Women's refuge boss calls for 50 Shades of Grey copies to be burned on a bonfire, saying: "Some of what happens in the book, Fred West did to victims in his cellar."

The book '50 shades of grey', left, and Fred West, who was one of Britain’s most notorious serial killers Photo: Alamy/PA

Phillipson is calling on readers to bin the 'abusive' book

The director of a women’s refuge has urged people to burn copies of 50 Shades of Grey, likening its sado-masochistic scenes to the sexual crimes of Fred West.
    The erotic novel “normalises abuse, degrades women and encourages sexual violence”, according to Clare Phillipson, director of Wearside Women In Need.

EL James’s book charts the sexual relationship between Ana Steele, a virginal college student, and Christian Grey, a handsome billionaire with a penchant for bondage.
    The trilogy has proved to be one of the publishing success stories of the decade, with the first book overtaking Harry Potter to become the fastest-selling book of all time.
    Criticism has centred mostly on the quality of the prose, but Ms Phillipson said the books are highly damaging.
    “Our concern is not the graphic depiction of sex. This is an abusive relationship presented as a love story. There is lots of abuse in the book, not just sexual abuse,” she said.

“There is emotional and sexual abuse of a 20-year-old with no sexual experience who is persuaded that being hit is good fun.
    “Do millions and million of women suffer from secret self-loathing? Do they all want to be treated this badly?
    “Some of what happens in the book, Fred West did to his victims in his cellar. I fail to see what is erotic about that.”

West was one of Britain’s most notorious serial killers. He and his wife, Rose, tortured, raped and murdered young women at 25 Cromwell Street, Gloucester. Many were bound and gagged in the cellar during their ordeal and the bodies of several victims were found beneath the cellar floor.
    Ms Phillipson, who runs the refuge in Washington, Tyne and Wear, said Christian Grey’s habit of showering Ana with expensive gifts and thoughtful emails was typical of a domestic abuser.
    She said that one domestic violence victim had asked her: “If this is a love story, how come it didn’t feel like this when it was happening to me?”
    Ms Phillipson hopes to organise a bonfire of 50 Shades copies on November 5.
    “There’s an assumption that Nazis are the only people who burn books. What we are saying is: this book is rubbish and we would like to reduce it to ashes.
    “We are not burning the Bible or a political philosophy, we are burning the depiction of an abusive man as a romantic hero.”

50 Shades of Grey sex scenes 'are like crimes of Fred West', says women's refuge boss - Telegraph

How the fuck is willingly taking part in light kinkery (wasn't a word but it is now bitches!) in any way shape or form like what Fred West did?
    Serendipity and Honey like this.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

The difference here is 'consensual' and 'non-consensual'.

I haven't read the books (and I don't intend to) but I assume the girl in the book has the freedom to say no, to make it stop.

I have, however, read the autobiography of the West's daughter, and I can assure you there was no 'safe word' for his victims.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

I am not a fan of being hurt or abused during sex and that is one of the reasons why I will never read 50 shades of Grey. I think she has valid points & while I do understand that there are some people who like/enjoy the S&M lifestyle, this book glamorizes it and some men will overdo it & expect "light kinkery" from the women they date. I am finding that society at large glorifies whatever is in at the moment & it gets on my nerves. What ever happened to expecting to be treated like a beloved one without abuse/power struggles.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

I'm not into S&M at all, but I do know that in a good S&M relationship or encounter, the submissive one is in control. The dominant one is the one doing the spanking and the 'torturing' but the submissive one can make it stop whenever they want with a safe word.

the s&m lifestyle just confuses me, guess I'll go back to reading my Jude Devereau

^^ I learned everything I know about S&M from CSI (Lady Heather)

I used to date a guy that was into the BDSM lifestyle and I can tell you, this book doesn't come anywhere close to the real thing. There is very light BDSM in the book that would probably be tolerable to most women who like sex to be a little more interesting.

Christen Grey isn't even an actual Dom by Dom standards. It's all fluffly BDSM written by a woman who didn't have much knowledge on the subject.

“There’s an assumption that Nazis are the only people who burn books. What we are saying is: this book is rubbish and we would like to reduce it to ashes.
    “We are not burning the Bible or a political philosophy, we are burning the depiction of an abusive man as a romantic hero.”
    Common sense, the book contains crappy consensual sex. No one is making her read the fucking thing. There is an assumption that assholes burn books and there is a reason for that. It's not up to her to decide whether it's as important as the Bible or political philosophy.

I'm really sorry for what she and any other victims of sexual assault have gone through, but this is absurd.
    Karistiona likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

A*O

Sigh. Yet more publicity for this POS book and $$$ for its undeserving author. She gets the last laugh, eh?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

There are books that are so much worse (as far as content) than this piece of shit.

basically fifty 50 shades of grey is a twilight rip off

If I never hear the title of this damn book again it will be too soon!

The publicity of the book is unfortunate, however this women works with DV sufferers who have obviously read the book & see parallels in it.
    A lot of posts have written about how abusive this book is & how it's "acceptable" in society.
    The parallel she draws is extreme, but, yes, Fred AND ROSEMARY West were abusive; and that is where some DV ends.

I think that I'm trying to say that I see the point that she is making and can understand the parallel.
    Just Kill Me likes this.
    Free Charmed.

You don't burn books. Just don't buy that shit.
    ana-mish-ana and Bellatheball like this.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information