Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Family of four stranded at airport for six days

fgg

Default Family of four stranded at airport for six days

Family of four stranded at airport for six days

The Saxton family spent six days at SLC Airport before getting a flight home (ABC News 4)A Virginia family spent six days stranded at Salt Lake City International Airport before a generous donor purchased them a flight back home.

"We just sit and walk around and wait for our flights," Curtis Saxton told local affiliate ABC 4. "We've been here for every flight, rolled over for every flight," said Saxton. "We're still at the bottom of that list."

Curtis Saxton and his wife Nicole Bennett, along with their 13-year-old daughter Sadee and 4-year-old son Dominic, had used a relative's buddy pass, to fly from Virginia to Utah.

Buddy passes are technically lower-end version of standby flights, meaning that the Saxtons were forced to wait until all passengers, including regular standby requests, had been seated.

And with so many Americans traveling on summer vacations, there just weren't any seats available on their return JetBlue flight. So the family was stuck at SLC Airport from Aug. 15 through Aug. 21.

Even worse, they were forced to sleep on airport benches and because of limited funds, could afford to eat only one meal per day. "There's a lot of people walking by and staring at you and kind of laughing at you," said Bennett. "It doesn't feel very good."

The family hadn't even been able to shower since the day they arrived at the airport. "You feel gross," said 13-year-old Sadee. "It's embarrassing."

The family said neither they nor their relatives could afford to purchase a ticket back to Virginia at the standard price.

However, once news of their plight was reported, donations quickly arrived. United Airlines purchased a motel room for the family and an anonymous donor purchased them a ticket back to Virginia, which they used on Wednesday morning.

Before the donations arrived, things had gotten so bad that 4-year-old Dominic began vomiting on Sunday and had to be evaluated by airport paramedics. "I have been hungry, hungry, hungry, hungry!" Dominic said.

It should be noted that JetBlue did nothing wrong here. In fact, the airline said it was without options, as it could not take away tickets from other paying passengers on flights that were already fully booked. A independent survey of airlines passengers released by J.D. Power and Associates in June ranked JetBlue as the top industry airline for customer satisfaction for North America.

Family of four stranded at airport for six days (VIDEO) | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

That's bullshit, jetblue should have moved heaven and earth for the kids at least.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

This is bad publicity, the airline should have just given them tickets and avoided this hitting the media....
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    This is bad publicity, the airline should have just given them tickets and avoided this hitting the media....
    I don't know, though. They already bump people who have paid-for tickets -- AND leave people sitting on the tarmac for extended periods of time. At this point, it seems like they are pretty much inured to customer complaints.

Not to blame the victim or anything, but they really were taking a risk with this vacation. No tickets, almost no money for incidentals, and a 4-year-old in the mix. I don't think I'd leave my family to the "tender mercies" of today's airlines by signing up for that scenario.

That's how those passes work. You show up and when they can put you on a flight, they do.

I know a family that travels like this all of the time. They use a relative's pass, and I think, pay only the taxes or something. They have been all over the country, basically for free. What they have to put up with is waiting for a flight. They have had times where the wait has lasted a day or two (never six) but they willingly put themselves in that position for free air travel.

Sorry but if you don't have enough money to feed your kids or get a hotel room when you're free pass thing doesn't work out perfectly, how is that the airlines fault?

What were they doing traveling with practically no money? Anything can go wrong while you travel. They don't sound particularly wise.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

This is for the parents to explain to me. How can you jeopardize four young children and blame it on airline rules? How you could let a four year old get so hungry he thew up is beyond me. I would have been at the nearest McDonalds (and you know they have them) begging and borrowing at least. No adult I know is going to not share!
    This was bad parenting at its worse. Idiots.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

It can be pain in the ass to fly on a buddy pass for one person, let alone a family with a four year old. And during a busy time of the year for travel, damn near impossible to find multiple seats for the airline to bump passengers to accommodate them. This was a clusterfuck/Murphy's Law sort of situation, but that's the risk that you take when you fly on those types of flights, so while the situation sucks for them, the parents were dumb as hell for thinking this was a good idea.

And when it comes to travel, the saying "pack half as many clothes and twice as much money" is the truth. You NEVER know what type of emergency situation you may wind up in. I hope this was a hard lesson for them to learn.

I remember being stuck at the airport on Labor Day weekend on a friend's buddy pass. I was stuck for 6 hours and thought I was going to go insane, so I can only imagine how this family was feeling. And that was AFTER my damn flight had to return back to Atlanta because of "mechanical issues". By the time we turned back around and arrived back, the flight could've continued to Washington, DC in the same amount of time. Not only that, by the time I could get bumped onto a flight to Baltimore, fly up there, endure a breakdown on the train between Baltimore and DC, and my aunt having to pick me up late from Union Station after going to the hospital for an eye injury (I insisted on taking the subway and a taxi to her house after I found that out, but she cursed me out for suggesting that because "I'm right around the goddamn corner, calm down!"), I could have driven up there!

irresponsible fools. i feel for these kids, but the parents are to blame.
    Rusalka likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

A*O

They were probably thumping the desk demanding 4 seats together, 2 aisles 2 windows, over the wing, etc. I bet they could have taken a pair of seats (1 adult 1 child) on 2 different flights. Some morons just shouldn't be allowed beyond their own driveway.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I don't know why they were travelling but I kind of feel sorry for them. Yeah it's dumb to travel when you don't have the money to cover emergencies like a few extra nights at a motel or the money to upgrade the ticket to get on a flight. But they're so poor and maybe this was a really rare opportunity for the family to take a holiday, or they were taking the kids to see relatives, whatever. I would feel pity if I saw them, and I think I'd try to help if I could even if they were stupid to get themselves into that situation. It took 6 days for someone to feel some compassion?
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I feel for the kids, and yeah I would feel compassion for them if they were standing in front of me needing to feed their kids, but damn if this isn't the reason why the firstworldproblems hashtag was invented. Virginia to SLC? I could see if they were visiting a sick relative or something, but usually if you have to go that far and you don't have the money, you just don't go. If they needed a vacation, they could probably have driven or taken a bus anywhere in a 200 mile radius and seen something interesting.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    Is it common for people to wait this long to get a flight using this type of ticket? If not, I would agree that yes, the airlines should have offered them some food vouchers and a cheap room. It really depends on what their reasonable expectations were when they planned this out. I know nothing about this type of ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    They were probably thumping the desk demanding 4 seats together, 2 aisles 2 windows, over the wing, etc. I bet they could have taken a pair of seats (1 adult 1 child) on 2 different flights. Some morons just shouldn't be allowed beyond their own driveway.
    Yes, that ^ this is also what I was wondering about.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    What were they doing traveling with practically no money? Anything can go wrong while you travel. They don't sound particularly wise.
    I did that a number of times when I was younger and broke(er). I remember one time, I managed to lose my wallet between check in and boarding, but it didn't matter because the only thing of value I had was a debit card with 67 cents in the bank and a coupon for a free Subway sandwich. (I was real sore about losing that free sandwich.)

Wouldn't have pulled that move with kids in tow, though.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I did that a number of times when I was younger and broke(er). I remember one time, I managed to lose my wallet between check in and boarding, but it didn't matter because the only thing of value I had was a debit card with 67 cents in the bank and a coupon for a free Subway sandwich. (I was real sore about losing that free sandwich.)

Wouldn't have pulled that move with kids in tow, though.
    I understand, it's different what you do when you're young or single, but it's the kids in the equation that get me.
    hustle4alivin likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information