Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: The Know-Nothing’s Guide to Pussy Riot, the Realest Punks Alive

Default The Know-Nothing’s Guide to Pussy Riot, the Realest Punks Alive

The Know-Nothing’s Guide to Pussy Riot, the Realest Punks Alive

After enduring five months of delays and attracting worldwide attention, the Pussy Riot trial finally began in Moscow this week. But what is Pussy Riot? Why is it on trial? What is Moscow? All your questions will be answered here.

What is Pussy Riot?
    Pussy Riot is a Russian punk collective founded in September of last year in the wake of Vladimir Putin's announcement that he would seek election for a third presidential term. (Putin, currently the prime minister, stepped down from the presidency in 2008 due to limits on serving consecutive terms; the current president, Dmitri Medvedev, is a Putin ally.) "[A]t that point," Pussy Riot's Serafima (members use pseudonyms) told Vice in February, "we realized that this country needs a militant, punk-feminist, street band that will rip through Moscow's streets and squares, mobilize public energy against the evil crooks of the Putinist junta and enrich the Russian cultural and political opposition[.]"

Okay, but... what do they do?
    I mean, what have punks ever done? Mostly the women of Pussy Riot wear colorful clothes and balaclavas and stage Situationist-style guerrilla performances in public spaces like the Red Square. It was one such performance — a "punk prayer" called "Our Lady, chase Putin out," undertaken in Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral — that got three of the group's members in so much trouble.

What happened?
    On February 21, Five Pussy Rioteers took to the church's altar and performed a mock prayer, begging the Virgin Mary to chase Putin out of power. They lasted about 30 seconds before being removed by security guards, and the footage was later used in a music video, which you can see here.

That's it? [Rolls eyes.]
    Well, where the U.S. has successfully neutralized the protest possibilities of punk rock through a careful combination of commodification and fashionable cynicism, Russia doesn't fuck around: two weeks after the prayer, three women in Pussy Riot — Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, Mariya Alekhina and Yekaterina Samutsevich — were arrested and charged with hooliganism, which can carry a sentence of up to seven years. They've been languishing in jail since then, denied bail and waiting through several delays; two of the women are mothers and haven't seen their young kids since the arrest.

Holy shit.
    Yeah. Who's punk rock now, huh? Their lawyers say they've been denied food and sleep; today, a doctor had to be called when Alekhina became sick in court. The prosecutor is making all kinds of nutty accusations, according to The New Yorker's Masha Lipman:
    In an interview, one said that the incident could "soon escalate into events comparable to the explosion of the twin towers on September 11th in America… It was proven that the act had been committed not by the American government or by the C.I.A. but by forces above them. For instance, all the employees of the shopping center" — the lawyer referred to the W.T.C. as torgovy tsentr, the Russian for "mall" — had been informed through secret masonic channels that they should not report to work on September 11th." When the interviewer asked, "Do you mean that the Pussy Riot act and the terrorist attack in the U.S. were organized by the same people?," the lawyers responded, "In the first instance it was a satanic group, and in the second it was the global government. But at the highest level both are connected-by Satan." Who else?
    Uh.
    Yeah, the Orthodox Church is being unsurprisingly intense about this — the Orthodox Patriarch and other church leaders have roundly condemned them ("a sin that will be punished in this life and the next") — and the government seems to be using the prosecution as a way to strengthen its alliance with the conservative church. "Piety and faith for their own sake do not appear to be Putin's concern, however," Lipman writes. "Instead, the government is drawing on the traditionalist and anti-western attitudes of the Russian Orthodox Church as a way of cracking down on the regime's liberal opponents."

So what happens next?
    The trial will last a couple of weeks. All three women have pleaded not guilty; at worst, they could be sentenced to seven years in prison.

What are their chances of being acquitted?
    It's unclear. If nothing else, they have a great deal of support both at home — tens of thousands of Russians have signed an online petition demanding their release — and abroad — Amnesty International has taken up the Pussy Riot cause, as have a number of famous musician-types (Sting, Peter Gabriel, Anthony Kiedis).

So... why Pussy Riot?
    Pussy Rioterr Kot tells Vice: "When cops and FSB agents interrogate us and ask, 'What the hell do these English letters on your banner stand for' (we put out a banner during some of our illegal performances and hardly any of these jerks speak any foreign language)-then we usually say something like 'Oh well, Mr. Secret Policeman, it's nothing special, those words just stand for "Pussycat rebellion."' But, of course that's a brutal lie. In Russia you should never tell the truth to a cop or to any agent of the Putinist regime."

The Know-Nothing's Guide to Pussy Riot, the Realest Punks Alive
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

WCG, thanks for this great article. I knew nothing about them until now. I find them extremely hot and brave. Ive never been more ashamed to be a complacent desk jockey.

You're very welcome Mo.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Holy shit.
    Yeah. Who's punk rock now, huh?
    That pretty well sums it up.

I didn't realize that Russia was using the Orthodox church to weed out the liberals, but it sounds awfully familiar. They've even brought Satan into this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I love thes chicks. Amnesty international have started a campaign to get them out of jail.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Gold Member

I hope they win at trial, but that probably won't happen - not as long as Putin is in charge.

They sound like people I want to have a drink with.

Antics like that at the altar of the billion dollar Christ the Savior Cathedral, might not have been the best choice they ever made. Protest and get arrested, one thing. Stage an anti Putin-performance inside Moscow's hugest newest most gilded Orthodox monument, another thing.

Super interesting, thanks!

Default Pussy Riot Found Guilty and Sentenced to Two Years in Prison

Pussy Riot Found Guilty and Sentenced to Two Years in Prison; Worldwide Protests Scheduled

Three members of the Russian feminist punk band Pussy Riot were found guilty of hooliganism Friday for performing a political protest song against Vladimir Putin on the altar of Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral. After the verdict was read, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, 23, Maria Alyokhina, 24, and Yekaterina Samutsevich, 29 were made to stand in court during sentencing as Judge Marina Sirovaya droned on for two hours and a half hours, reading aloud the evidence against them, which includes how they "engaged in homosexual propaganda," were "motivated by religious enmity and hatred," behaved "provocatively," and that their clothing was not acceptable, making repeated references to their neon-colored tights and noting the shortness of their dresses. The three women smirked and occasionally laughed.

The band members—who have already served six months behind bars after being arrested in March 2012—faced up to seven years in prison. However, earlier this month, President Putin said that the women shouldn't be punished "too harshly" for their civil disobedience. They were sentenced to the minimum two years in prison.

In what seemed like an attempt to make the reading of the sentencing torturous, the entire court had to stand in place as Judge Sirovaya monotonously read a recap of the case, starting with the evidence list, then a very long summary of witness testimonies, incredibly detailed descriptions of the convicted women's looks (height 165 cm, round face, etc.) and even a thorough description of the Christ the Savior Cathedral, its icons and its altars. A filibuster of this type might go beyond typical court procedure.

The Wall Street Journal noted that "Orthodox believers often stand for long periods at religious services," implying that the court was adding some sort of passive aggressive punishment for the women's disrespect of the church. (The protest for which the women were arrested was captured in the video to the left.)

Meanwhile, activists have marked August 17 as Pussy Riot Global Day, with protests against the verdict scheduled in over 60 cities, worldwide.

Supporters of the women are wearing the band's signature colorful ski masks in solidarity, with some even placing the masks on statues throughout Moscow. Russian police arrested several pro-Pussy Riot supporters today—including world chess champ Garry Kasparov— after hundreds of protestors began shouting "Russia without Putin!" outside the courthouse when the verdict was read.

And Alicia Silverstone has been doing her part, as well. In a letter to Putin, the vegan actress begged the Russian president for "assurance" that Maria Alyokhina will have access to vegan food in prison. "I'm sure you can agree that everyone has the right to show compassion and refrain from hurting animals by being vegan," Silverstone wrote, perhaps missing the point that the women were on trial to begin with because of the country's lack of basic rights for its citizens.

Even with the support celebrities like Silverstone, Madonna, Kathleen Hanna, and Chloe Sevigny, a global protest effort, and the backing of Amnesty International, it isn't likely that the members of Pussy Riot will benefit from any of it. According to a poll, only 7% of women in Russia are feminists, and 45% of men in Russia "detest" feminists. Only 3% like them. To add to the dilemma, two of the women Tolokonnikova and Alyokhina, have very young children from whom they've already been separated.

But that doesn't seem to deter them. In her statement made in court Alyokhina said:
    I am extremely angered by the phrase ‘so-called' which the State Prosecutor uses to refer to contemporary art. I would like to draw attention to the fact that during the trial of Brodsky exactly the same phrase was used. His poems were referred to as ‘so-called poetry', and the witnesses hadn't even read them. Just as a number of our witnesses had not actually seen what had happened……And if that's how it is, then for me at least this trial is just a ‘so-called' trial. I am not afraid of you. I am not afraid of you and I am not afraid of the thinly veneered deceit of your verdict at this ‘so-called' trial. My truth lives with me. I believe that honesty, free-speaking and the thirst for truth will make us all a little freer. We will see this come to pass.
    You can read the English translations of the women's full closing statements here. You can learn how you can get involved here.

Pussy Riot Found Guilty and Sentenced to Two Years in Prison; Worldwide Protests Scheduled

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybabe View Post
    I hope they win at trial, but that probably won't happen - not as long as Putin is in charge.

They sound like people I want to have a drink with.
    They sound like people I want to overthrow a corrupt system with. Seriously!

To state the obvious, this is fucked up and probably not surprising.

And Alicia Silverstone has been doing her part, as well. In a letter to Putin, the vegan actress begged the Russian president for "assurance" that Maria Alyokhina will have access to vegan food in prison. "I'm sure you can agree that everyone has the right to show compassion and refrain from hurting animals by being vegan," Silverstone wrote, perhaps missing the point that the women were on trial to begin with because of the country's lack of basic rights for its citizens.
    I need one of Hustle's face palm .gifs for that one.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I'm going to voice an opinion that will piss everybody off.
    Fuck Pussy Riot.

They had no right to to stage a political protest on religious private property. They were not invited, had no permission, they were not in public place.

What if a group of women showed up at YOUR church uninvited and put on some kind of anti-politician performance at the altar? Would you not be outraged? Trespassing much?

They were wrong, on private property, and it was in extremely bad taste. I have no sympathy for them.

Really? No sympathy?

In any sane place a fine would have been the sentence, not two fucking years in jail.

I don't think you have to support what they did, but to think this is reasonable is ridiculous.
    MmeVertigina and analyzer like this.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said a two year sentence was reasonable.

But they are certainly guilty of the worst kind of attention whoring and overstepping the bounds of decency. This would have been an outrage anywhere.

No, you're right. You said 'I have no sympathy for them', which crazily led me to think that you have no sympathy for them.

I say fuck Putin and the Church. Fuck 'em twice.

I have more than sympathy for them, I admire them. And anyone else willing to stand up to an oppressive government.

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    I'm going to voice an opinion that will piss everybody off.
    Fuck Pussy Riot.

They had no right to to stage a political protest on religious private property. They were not invited, had no permission, they were not in public place.

What if a group of women showed up at YOUR church uninvited and put on some kind of anti-politician performance at the altar? Would you not be outraged? Trespassing much?
    Actually something like that did happen here.

During the late 1980's, AIDS activitists, desperate for just about any movement by the government and other institutions on dealing with the HIV/AIDS crisis, protested at St. Patrick's Cathedral - which is one of the largest and most renowned Catholic Cathedral's in the United States. Were people arrested? Yes. Were people tried and sentenced to jail? No. Below is a brief Wiki recap:

ACT-UP disagreed with Cardinal John Joseph O'Connor on the Roman Catholic Archdiocese's public stand against safe sex education in New York City Public Schools, condom distribution, the Cardinal's public views on homosexuality, as well as Catholic opposition to abortion. This led to the first Stop the Church protest on December 10, 1989 at St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York.[12] In December 1989, approximately 4,500 protestors mobilized by ACT-UP and WHAM! gathered outside a mass at the cathedral.[13] A few dozen[14] activists entered the cathedral, interrupted Mass, chanted slogans, or lay down in the aisles.[15] One protestor broke a communion wafer and threw it to the floor.[15][3] One-hundred and eleven protesters were arrested.[16] Only minor charges were filed, punished primarily by community service sentences; some protestors who refused the sentences were tried, but did not serve jail time.[14]
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information