Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By McJag
  • 3 Post By OrangeSlice

Thread: Dominican Republic abortion ban stops treatment for pregnant teen with cancer

Default Dominican Republic abortion ban stops treatment for pregnant teen with cancer

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    • A 16-year-old girl with leukemia hasn't received treatment because she's pregnant
    • Article 37 of the Dominican Republic's constitution forbids abortion
    • Chemotherapy for the girl's illness will likely terminate her pregnancy
    • Incident has sparked a renewed debate on abortion laws in the country

Plea: The girl's mother Rosa Hernandez (pictured) is appealing to both doctors and the Dominican authorities to make an exception to save her daughter's life

In the Dominican Republic, a ban on abortion is preventing a teenage girl from receiving treatment for a life-threatening disease.

At the Semma Hospital in the captial city of Santo Domingo, a 16-year-old girl is dying of acute leukemia. Doctors say the girl, whose name is being withheld to protect her privacy, needs an aggressive chemotherapy treatment. But there's one problem: the teenager is nine weeks pregnant and treatment would very likely terminate the pregnancy, a violation of Dominican anti-abortion laws.
    Rosa Hernandez, the girl's mother, is trying to convince doctors and the Dominican government to make an exception so that her daughter's life can be saved. "My daughter's life is first. I know that [abortion] is a sin and that it goes against the law ... but my daughter's health is first," Hernandez said.
    According to Article 37 of the Dominican constitution, "the right to life is inviolable from the moment of conception and until death." Dominican courts have interpreted this as a strict mandate against abortion. Article 37, passed in 2009, also abolished the death penalty.
    Turkish women rally against plans to restrict access to abortion
    Miguel Montalvo, the director of the bioethics council that rules on the application of the law, says the council is leaning toward allowing the treatment. "At the end of the day the patient may decide for himself or herself. In this case, the family may decide what's more convenient for the patient," Montalvo said.
    Women's and human rights groups are outraged, saying the girl should have received chemotherapy immediately.

Lilliam Fondeur, a women's rights activist, complains that conservative politics is preventing necessary treatment to save the teenager's life.
    "How can it be possible that so much time is being wasted? That the treatment hasn't begun yet because they're still meeting, trying to decide if she has the right to receive the treatment to save her life -- that's unacceptable," Fondeur said.
    Some Dominican opposition lawmakers say there should be a new debate over the abortion ban in the Caribbean country and the problems created by the constitutional ban go beyond this case. Opinion leaders like former representative Victor Terrero say clandestine abortions are also putting the lives of many women at risk.
    "The constitution is going to have to be modified sooner rather than later," Terrero said. "We cannot allow under any circumstances that pregnancies that present complications for women be permitted to continue as normal."

Bautista Rojas Gomez, the Dominican minister of health, has publicly indicated he favors chemotherapy over protecting the pregnancy, but doctors are still reluctant to act for fear of prosecution.
    Pelegrin Castillo, one of the architects of Article 37, says the constitutional ban does not prevent doctors from administering the treatment. It does, however, prevent them from practicing an abortion in order to treat the patient with chemotherapy.
    "It's an artificial debate," Castillo said. "What we have clearly said is that in this case doctors are authorized by the constitution to treat the patient. They don't have to worry about anything. They have the mandate of protecting both lives."
    And while the debate rages on around the country, back at the hospital the clock keeps ticking for the 16-year-old pregnant girl.

Activists allege forced abortions, sterilizations in China

Dominican Republic abortion ban stops treatment for pregnant teen with cancer - CNN.com

This will happen in the US if people don't pay attention. Stupid.
    *DIVA! and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm really confused about this article. If you don't need to perform an abortion to perform chemo, why not just go ahead with the chemo in the first place? Even following the logic of the mandate, they have to protect the mother's life first in order to protect the unborn child's life.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I'm not sure about that part either. Forgive my ignorance but I don't know whether chemotherapy would automatically cause the foetus to abort, so perhaps it's quicker and more humane to abort before treatment begins.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I'm really confused about this article. If you don't need to perform an abortion to perform chemo, why not just go ahead with the chemo in the first place? Even following the logic of the mandate, they have to protect the mother's life first in order to protect the unborn child's life.
    They could go ahead with treatment but the doctors are reluctant to do that in case they get prosecuted. But it says they won't, so..... Yeah I'm confused too.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    " the teenager is nine weeks pregnant and treatment would very likely terminate the pregnancy, a violation of Dominican anti-abortion laws."

Chemo can cause all kinds of side effects, and just because an abortion isn't cause specifically by "abortion" actions, it doesn't mean that the Drs won't get in to trouble legally be taking an action that (by a side effect) causes an (self-)abortion.

The Drs feared that they could still be charged under the country's laws.

I guess that they are waiting for something in writing.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    " the teenager is nine weeks pregnant and treatment would very likely terminate the pregnancy, a violation of Dominican anti-abortion laws."

Chemo can cause all kinds of side effects, and just because an abortion isn't cause specifically by "abortion" actions, it doesn't mean that the Drs won't get in to trouble legally be taking an action that (by a side effect) causes an (self-)abortion.

The Drs feared that they could still be charged under the country's laws.

I guess that they are waiting for something in writing.
    But I kept getting caught up on the words "would very likely". It can be argued that even within this law that chemo does not equal abortion. If it were between chemo with abortion or chemo with no abortion, the doctors should be compelled to go with the answer that will risk the least amount of life legally. While they're waiting for permission to treat this patient, there are two lives in danger and they are protecting no one. I guess if I were a lawyer, that's the point I would argue.

However, I see what you're saying, doctors can't perform any treatment on a pregnant woman that would possibly result in injury to the fetus and that the Dominican government wouldn't see it the way I see it, and would prosecute the doctors. That makes more sense as to why the doctors' hands are tied.

I'm also confused by the part Sarzy brought up.

Pelegrin Castillo, one of the architects of Article 37, says the constitutional ban does not prevent doctors from administering the treatment. It does, however, prevent them from practicing an abortion in order to treat the patient with chemotherapy.
    "It's an artificial debate," Castillo said. "What we have clearly said is that in this case doctors are authorized by the constitution to treat the patient. They don't have to worry about anything. They have the mandate of protecting both lives."
    It's like he's saying two different things here. It sounds to me like the doctors are within their rights to go ahead with the chemo. Since abortion is off the table, and the doctors have to protect both lives, the only way to do that is with chemo, which may or may not cause an abortion. And again, as it stands, they are protecting no lives instead of both.

I think maybe I'm just irritated that this article is so poorly written. It's from CNN, but it reads like the Daily Fail.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Default The Pregnant Teen Cancer Patient Who Couldn’t Get Chemo — Or an Abortion — Is Dead

The pregnant Dominican teenager who had to wait twenty days to start receiving chemotherapy for her acute leukemia because of her country's draconian anti-abortion laws has died.

The anonymous teen was 16 years old and only nine weeks pregnant when the controversy began. Her plight gained attention over the last few weeks as doctors debated whether it was morally correct to start treating her cancer, given as Article 37 of the Dominican Constitution states that "the right to life is inviolable from the moment of conception and until death." It took doctors and the Dominican government a full 20 days to decide that God and Country might care about the actually living mother's life, too, not just the fetus inside of her, and allow the treatment. By then, it was too late.

Would the girl still be alive if doctors had started treatment earlier? We'll never know. But maybe next time they won't have to make an already tragic situation even more horrible for everyone involved. When the chemo started, Rosa Hernandez, the girl's mother, said she knew abortion was wrong but that she was glad she had finally convinced everyone to prioritize her daughter. "My daughter's life is first," she said. "I know that (abortion) is a sin and that it goes against the law ... but my daughter's health is first." In the end, it was just first-ish.

The Pregnant Teen Cancer Patient Who Couldn't Get Chemo — Or an Abortion — Is Dead
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I knew when I saw this thread was updated, she'd died. Assholes.
    ~Manx Mouse

How's the baby's right to life now?
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

So so horrible and wrong, a 9 week fetus was more important than her 16 years of life? Poor kid didn't deserve this, I feel awful for her family.

Thread Information