Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Waterslide

Thread: Black couple says racism forced wedding relocation‎

Default Black couple says racism forced wedding relocation‎

A couple were turned away from a church where they planned to marry just one day before the wedding because they are black, they have claimed.
    Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson, from Jackson, Mississippi, had already sent out invitations for their wedding at the predominantly white First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs.
    But a day before their nuptials, Pastor Stan Weatherford told the couple some church members were opposed to the wedding, which would have been the first between a black couple at the church.

Refused: Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson were turned away from marrying in a predominantly white church after members of the congregation complained

Instead, Weatherford performed the ceremony at another church.
    'The church congregation had decided no black could be married at that church, and that if he went on to marry her, then they would vote him out the church,' Charles Wilson told WLBT TV.
    His wife Te'Andrea added: 'People were pitching a fit about us being a black couple. I didn't like it at all because I wasn't brought up to be racist. I was brought up to love and care for everybody.'
    While the couple are not members of the church, Te'Andrea's father is, and her uncle is employed there. The couple attend the church regularly, they said.
    Pastor Weatherford told WLBT TV he was surprised when a small number of church members told him they were opposed to the wedding taking place there.
    'This had never been done before here, so it was setting a new precedent, and there are those who reacted to that because of that,' he said.

Wedding: Instead the couple was forced to marry at another church

Plans: The couple, who had already set the date and sent out invitations, were told they could not marry at the church just one day before their wedding

Explaining why he held the ceremony elsewhere, he added: 'I didn't want to have a controversy within the church, and I didn't want a controversy to affect the wedding of Charles and Te' Andrea.

'I didn't like it at all because I wasn't brought up to be racist. I was brought up to love and care for everybody'

Bride Te'Andrea Wilson

'I wanted to make sure their wedding day was a special day.'
    But Charles Wilson said he believes the pastor, who he understands was in a difficult position, should have stood up for them.
    He added: 'I blame the First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs, I blame those members who knew and call themselves Christians and didn't stand up.'
    Church officials told WLBT they welcome people of any race and will conduct meetings on the issue.
    'It's not reflective of the spirit of the Lord and Mississippi Baptists,' the Mississippi Baptist Convention executive director, the Rev. Jim Futral, said. 'It's just a step backward. ... It's a sad thing.'

Backing down: Pastor Weatherford said he moved the location of the wedding to avoid a controversy

Scene: Other congregation members at First Baptist Church said they were outraged at the opinion of a few

Congregation members and local officials have said they are disgusted by the actions of some of the members of the church.
    'This is a small, small group of people who made a terrible decision,' Church member Casey Kitchens told The Clarion-Ledger.
    'I'm just ashamed right now that my church would do that. I can't fathom why. How unfair. How unjust. It's just wrong.'
    In the face of the reports, Mayor Sally Garland announced she will host a gathering in Crystal Springs on Monday to show that the city is united against racism.
    'This is not a reflection of our city,' Garland said. 'We're not going to let this define us.'

Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson: Outrage as Mississippi church says couple can't get married there as they're black | Mail Online

I don't want to believe shit like this still happens.
    nancydrew likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Ok... I have a few issues with this... 1.) Did she marry her Dad's friend, because that could be a hang up
    2.) If they weren't members why did they want to get married there
    3.) Did she have to look hood in the picture???
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

It says they attend regularly. It's not like they just picked the prettiest church they could find.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Some Churches, even predominately black ones have a rule that only members can have weddings and sometimes funeral there.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

This is odd. Something off, I never have heard of this happening. I think Diva is right.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I don't want to believe shit like this still happens.
    Believe.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    While the couple are not members of the church, Te'Andrea's father is, and her uncle is employed there. The couple attend the church regularly, they said.
    They're not members but attend regularly? I don't get it I don't know how memberships work with churches.

Do you have to have a membership card for church now?
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Do you have to have a membership card for church now?
    No,but some churches have to rely on membership to survive financially. They depend on membership to survive.
    If you attend reguarly and do not join, they are unable to count on you as a supporter. Tithing allows them to budget, pay the pastor, pay the elctric bill and so on. Member get high priority, they keep the church running.
    Also, a big church like this has umpteen charity works running all the time. food banks, councelling services, youth & child activities.
    Believe it or not, they do a lot of good for the community. But they have to rely on membership almost totally.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

But when you get married, you pay the priest, so it's not like the church would be losing money by marrying them. Lame excuse.

You can be the member of a church community in the UK without having to pay tythes. The church has massive coffers.
    Free Charmed.

When you become a member of church.. They ask at the end of service who would like to join... Once you are a member you attend new member meetings and do On...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Ok... I have a few issues with this... 1.) Did she marry her Dad's friend, because that could be a hang up
    2.) If they weren't members why did they want to get married there
    3.) Did she have to look hood in the picture???
    They probably wanted to get married there because the venue is better looking. Yeah, she does look hood. The spelling of her name doesn't help either.

How old are they?
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Thread Information