Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By lurkur
  • 1 Post By gas_chick

Thread: Boy Scouts of America keeps gay ban

Default Boy Scouts of America keeps gay ban

The Boy Scouts of America's policy stands in contrast to the Girl Scouts of the USA and Camp Fire

The Boy Scouts of America will not change its policy of excluding gay scouts and scout leaders, following a secret two-year review, the group says.
    The current policy allows families to address sexuality in private and no further action will be taken, it added.
    Eleven volunteers and leaders, with a range of "perspectives and opinions", were chosen to undertake the study.
    Critics, including some board members, say they support internal change and gay members should be allowed to join.
    Jim Turley, chairman and chief executive of consulting firm Ernst and Young, and Randall Stephenson, head of the US telecoms company AT&T, were two of the organisation's board members who said they would support a change in policy.

'Best policy'

Announcing their conclusion, the Boy Scouts cited support from parents as a major reason for keeping the policy.
    "The vast majority of the parents of youth we serve value their right to address issues of same-sex orientation within their family, with spiritual advisers and at the appropriate time and in the right setting," Boy Scouts chief executive Bob Mazzuca said.
    "We fully understand that no single policy will accommodate the many diverse views among our membership or society."
    The panel was unanimous in its decision and a Boy Scouts of America spokesman told the Associated Press it was "absolutely the best policy" for the group.
    A lesbian mother from Ohio, Jennifer Tyrell, who was removed as a scout den leader and treasurer in April because of the policy, said in a statement: "A secret committee of 11 people can't ignore the hundreds of thousands of people around the country - including thousands of Eagle Scouts, scout families, and former scouts - that want the ban on gay scouts and scout leaders removed."
    Ms Tyrell was due to deliver a petition to the group's headquarters in Irving, Texas, asking to be reinstated.
    In 2000, the Boy Scouts won a ruling from the US Supreme Court that allowed them to ban gay members whose conduct, they said, violated the group's values.
    Boy Scouts of America, founded in 1910, said that at the end of 2011 it had more than one million adult members.

BBC News - Boy Scouts of America keeps gay ban

Good, so I can continue to hate them.

mjw
    Elite Member

Here in America we go to school and learn about the Civil Rights Movement and the Holocaust ,and shit like this is still going on.

So what's the point of this? Do they get major funding from right wingers or something?
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Well, they certainly earned their Homophobia Merit Badges.
    Laurent and Air Quotes like this.
    If being cunty is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

^Love it!
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    So what's the point of this? Do they get major funding from right wingers or something?
    yep. LDS church. their stance will never change.

i wish there was a large-scale scouting organization for boys that had similar values as the GSUSA. as heartbreaking as it will be to possibly have to tell him 'no' someday, i will never allow my son to be part of an organization that excludes boys on basis of sexual orientation. moot point though, i guess, since we're atheist & not welcome to be in their organization anyway.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post
    yep. LDS church. their stance will never change.

i wish there was a large-scale scouting organization for boys that had similar values as the GSUSA. as heartbreaking as it will be to possibly have to tell him 'no' someday, i will never allow my son to be part of an organization that excludes boys on basis of sexual orientation. moot point though, i guess, since we're atheist & not welcome to be in their organization anyway.
    The LDS? Well that explains that.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Primary reason my boys are not boy scouts. Well, that and our local chapter is very fundie Christian as well. I love a good prayer in the privacy of my own home, but the one 'welcome' den meeting we went to in order to scout things out was like listening to a speech by Jerry Falwell
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

*snort*

I quit CUB scouts when I discovered my little rank bars didn't actually entitle me to make minions of the lower ranking plebes. What's the point of rank if you're not going to institute an actual command structure? Idiots.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Pitiful. They had a chance to do the right thing and send a powerful message instead they're telling gay boys something is wrong with them.

My brother is a scout master. My nephew got his Eagle Scout and the other three are heavily involved. All of them thought it was stupid too.

Fuck the Boy Scouts and Chick-Fil-A too.
    Seth82 likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Thread Information