Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By Grimmlok
  • 7 Post By *Kat*

Thread: Girl molested by a mob of 40 men in public while off-duty reporter films

Default Girl molested by a mob of 40 men in public while off-duty reporter films

India shamed: Guwahati girl molested in full public view

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmVU4...%3DjuI91jD-Rrw
    (Somebody please embed the video, it doesn't seem to be working for me)

In yet another incident of crime against women, a 16-year-old girl was molested by around 30 men in full public view for about half an hour on Monday night outside a posh nightclub here. The incident was witnessed by hundreds, but no one came to her rescue. The incident would have gone un-noticed but for the footage uploaded on Youtube on July 10. It sparked outrage across the nation — highlighting, as it does, the increasing incidence of lawlessness and crimes against women. Public pressure finally forced the police to act, and on July 11 and 12, four arrests were made, although main accused Amarjyoti Kalita is still roaming free.
    The teenager had gone to celebrate a friend’s birthday at Club Mint on GS Road. She was singled out and targeted after her friends left at 9.30 pm. The police team, which arrived half an hour later, said the group was evicted after a brawl.

The incident stoked massive resentment, with politicians, the women’s commission and civil society speaking up vociferously. Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi set up a committee to probe the incident.
    While National Commission for Women chief Mamta Sharma demanded the police “take the matter seriously”, CPM MP Brinda Karat called for prosecution of the police officers.
    Assam Police chief Jayanta Narayan Chowdhury said the police were not an ATM machine — dispensing instant service — which earned him a reprimand from union home minister P Chidambaram.
    “Every incident of molesting a woman is condemnable... anyone who tries to make light of the incident is condemnable,” Chidambaram said.
    Team Anna member and RTI activist Akhil Gogoi, meanwhile, created a sensation when he claimed that a reporter of NewsLive TV channel — which shot and aired the video on Monday — was the main culprit.
    “The reporter and his friends were at the bar and they passed comments about the girls, which started the brawl,” Gogoi said. “The reporter instigated his friends to assault the girl.”
    Amarjyoti Kalita, the main accused, is a friend of the reporter, Gogoi said. “They went to the bar in the reporter’s Hyundai car. They are being safeguarded by the owner of the TV channel.”
    Gogoi claimed he had a CD about the NewsLive reporter’s involvement. “I will give it to the police and the media,” he added.
    Guwahati: As the nation still comes to terms with the horror that unfolded on the streets of Guwahati, more chilling details are emerging of how a rowdy mob of 50 molested a young girl while people and the police quietly watched. The editor of a local daily, who witnessed the incident on Monday night, has told NDTV that he did try to rescue the girl but stood no chance in front of the men who heckled and threatened him. More shockingly, he says that the men attacked and manhandled the girl even when she was inside the police jeep in the midst of armed cops.

Mukul Kalita, the editor of Ajir Asom, was passing by when he saw the hapless girl running on the street, screaming, stopping cars and banging on their windows for help. He stopped to help her. "She fell on my feet, saying 'Uncle, help me'," Mr Kalita told NDTV, as nearly 30-40 men followed her. By this time, nearly 30 minutes had elapsed since the victim's ordeal began. "Some of her clothing had been ripped off," Mr Kalita said, recounting the shameful incident.

As he tried to intervene, some men, who were part of the mob, asked him to back off, saying that the girl had hit two of their men. The police had said that the girl was involved in a physical fight with one of the two men who had accompanied her to the pub which they later left. While people at a rickshaw stand nearby initially tried to separate the duo, the crowd soon turned on the girl, the police said.

Also Read

Also See

Mr Kalita tried to reason out with the men, saying that the matter should be dealt with by the police, if what they alleged was true. But in vain. In the meanwhile, the police had arrived at the scene of the crime - within a gap of just five minutes after Mr Kalita reached.

But the nightmare was far from over. The frenzied mob assaulted the girl even in the police jeep, in the presence of two armed cops. While the men took away the keys of the police vehicle, the trauma that was unleashed on the girl continued for the next 30 minutes.

Even as images of the men brazenly going after the girl were aired on national television, no one could be seen helping the girl. Even the role of a cameraperson and reporter of a local channel has come under a cloud with questions being asked on whether the duo should have focused on helping the victim, rather than recording the crime on camera. Dipya Bordoloi, the reporter of Newslive, says he was disgusted that could not do more. His news editor, Syed Zarir Hussain, said that if the footage did not exist, it's doubtful that any arrests would have been made. (Watch: It was like gang-rape, says reporter who saw Guwahati molestation)

Of the 50-strong mob, the police have identified just 12, while only four have been arrested so far. The first arrest, too, was made only on Wednesday, 48 hours after the incident had occurred. The government also woke up to the incident only yesterday. Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi held a press conference - the first comment by the state government on the incident - and said the law and order in Guwahati needs to improve.
    The video is horrific, the girl is seen running in what looks like a busy street and absolutely no one stops to help her. Of course people here are blaming the victim, saying she shouldn't have gone to the bar, she shouldn't have been out so late, she shouldn't have been dressed the way she was. 1.37 minutes into the video, the girl can be heard pleading Tera Bhi behan hai (Even you must have sisters).

Source: India shamed: Guwahati girl molested in full public view - Hindustan Times
    Last edited by *Kat*; July 17th, 2012 at 06:37 AM.

Where's my gun?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Dear lord that poor poor girl, this is shocking
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Horrible. Apparently she should have worn a burka and been surrounded by bodyguards. This is loathsome.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by *Kat* View Post
    India shamed: Guwahati girl molested in full public view

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmVU4...%3DjuI91jD-Rrw
    (Somebody please embed the video, it doesn't seem to be working for me)
    [YOUTUBE]PmVU49N-7jw[/YOUTUBE]

And all those people just watched. It's sick.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Some of these boys and men relocate to my country and carry on this infernal behavior against girls and women..... if not worst. It's always in the news, from my local papers to nationwide.
    This dehumanizing treatment against women everywhere needs to stop.

As an owner of a penis, I would like to be the first to say that I would probably go absolutely apeshit on every one of these assclowns if that happened anywhere I was nearby. Oh, there would be blood.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

i feel the sudden urge to go all lorena bobbitt on their asses. this is such a load of crap

My mother experienced a similar story in Sri Lanka. She went for a walk on the beach with another woman she met in the hotel (they both travelled alone) and then some locals tried to rape the other woman. There were several male locals who watched the whole thing not doing anything. They seemed to enjoy it! Somehow my mother and the other woman fought the guy off on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    My mother experienced a similar story in Sri Lanka. She went for a walk on the beach with another woman she met in the hotel (they both travelled alone) and then some locals tried to rape the other woman. There were several male locals who watched the whole thing not doing anything. They seemed to enjoy it! Somehow my mother and the other woman fought the guy off on their own.
    Lucky for them. That must have been scary! I'm an Indian, but I'm a student in the US now. Growing up you were expected to understand that wearing anything above the knees, something with even a hint of a cleavage or something tight, you were asking for unwanted attention. I dressed pretty conservatively when I lived here. But after living in the US for a while where nobody bothers about what you are wearing, I got used to wearing clothing that would be considered inappropriate here(Not really, I'm talking about casual shorts). Once after I got back my mom went batshit crazy about a top I wore when we went out. She went on and on about how it's us girls dressing this way is what's provoking men. And how if things go wrong, we're the ones to blame. I'm 23 years old by the way, and was wearing jeans and a top my mom thought was low cut. Same with makeup, if you're wearing it, it just means you want attention. I got yelled at because I was wearing concealer over my acne scars and undereye circles. Because it meant I was giving too much attention to my looks.

With parents teaching their daughters not to dress a certain way and not do certain things, while the sons are never taught to respect women, it's not surprising this happened and nobody helped the girl. The attackers are being apprehended, but the public always blames the girl too in cases like these.
    Lenny, SuriCruise, Quazar and 4 others like this.

God this is horrible, couldn't read the full story. That poor girl. Those men are monsters. Until they're taught to respect women as equals, or at least as human beings, like Kat said above this will keep happening and people will keep blaming the victim. Unbelievable that people just stood around and watched
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Elite Member

That poor girl. People can be deplorable. All of her attackers need to rounded up and have their hands broken for touching her in such a disgusting manner. Pigs, the lot of them.

Gold Member

I can't watch stuff like this because then I get the urge to go out and punch someone.

I hope the girl gets justice but I won't hold my breath.

Thread Information