Pregnant Maria Kristensen (25) from Denmark did not hesitate when she found a bloody, baby girl by the roadside in Turkey.
Mary, her husband and son Lucas (3) was on his way to the airport to Kusadasi in Turkey to return home to Denmark Thursday when they discovered a small bundle lying on the street in the hot sun.
- We sat in a taxi when we looked out on something right. There was a pink little bundle up in a bag right out side of the road where the sun only shone down. She lay and baked, tells a shocked Marie to ekstrabladet.dk.
The family asked the taxi driver to go back. They felt they had to check if there was a child they had seen.
- We were very nervous to go out of the car. Was the life of the child? It was over 40 degrees, and the bundle lying in the sun, she says.
But Mary instinctively bundle up to them. There, she saw a very newborn baby girl. The head was still bloody, and the umbilical cord cut off recently. The girl was probably no more than a day old, estimates Maria herself a social worker and pregnant at 31 week.
- The mother had packed into her pink clothes and put a blanket around her. She was really hot, so I hurried to get her into the car and asked the driver to take on aircontitionen. But there was no life in her.
Got milk bursting
The man, Kent, came with cold water as they cooled down her head, but she still does not react,
- Then I knew that it blew up on the breasts, says Mary. She was afraid to break some cultural rules, so she asked the taxi driver if it was okay if she put the baby to the breast.
- He nodded and said, of course, so I hurried to put her, says Mary.
Sleep: The newborn girl was max one day old when Mary and her husband found her. Photo: Private
It took awhile, but after a while the little girl began to drink. After she got into the industry she revived.
- There was life in her eyes. She looked around, and we thought "in the world." She was still bloody, and paper on the umbilical cord. It's probably a mother who has been powerless and did their best, says Mary.
Crying and crying
Although it may be over the limit intimate to breastfeed other people's children, Mary thought it was perfectly natural.
- In fact I took it pretty well until I had to give her away, she says.
- It did not feel good at all to give her away from me. She woke up and looked the more my eyes, and now I have gray ago, said Mary tv2.no.
The little girl was delivered to police and later handed over to child welfare authorities in Turkey. Maria feels confident that she will be well taken care of.
- I've talked to them every day, and they say I only need to call and that I can come visit if I want, says Mary, who is now back in Denmark.
Slowly, but surely it has dawned on her that she probably has saved the lives of the girl. The fact that she started milk production two months before she would give birth may have been vital for the newborn girl who was so brutal start in life.
The little girl has been named Ceren, and will probably be adopted in time.
NEWBORN: The head of the girl was still bloody after birth. Photo: Private
Source: TV2.no (translatet)