Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Obama on Health Care

Default Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Obama on Health Care

Well, this should be an interesting day in the news. Everybody was saying it would be overturned.

Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Obama on Health Care
    Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Obama on Health Care

The Supreme Court has ruled 5-4 in favor of the Obama administration on the Affordable Care Act, upholding the constitutionality of the individual mandate as a tax. The majority opinion was written by Chief Justice John Roberts, who joined the court's liberal bloc. "The bottom line," SCOTUSBlog writes, is that "the entire ACA is upheld, with the exception that the federal government's power to terminate states' Medicaid funds is narrowly read. [...] Chief Justice Roberts' vote saved the ACA." CNN initially, and hilariously, reported incorrectly that the mandate had been struck down, briefly turning Twitter into an entertaining website.

Chief Justice Roberts' vote saved the ACA.

and omg, he was appointed by Bush. lol.

of course, SCOTUS coming down on the side of business on a deal that will put many more billions into the pockets of heath insurance companies is no shock.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Chief Justice Roberts' vote saved the ACA.

and omg, he was appointed by Bush. lol.
    Jeffrey Toobin was convinced that this Court would overturn the ACA. Mainly because of how many 5-4 votes their had been on cases before them, and with Roberts always on the conservative side. Wow.

By the way, as of about 3 minutes ago, FoxNews still doesn't know what's going on and seems to be hinting that it will be overturned. HAHAHAHA! No wonder they get rated the stupidest viewers of all the channels. I bet a month from now, they'll still think it's been overturned.

I'm shocked. I was so sure that the Repugs had won this round. What will they do next?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I'm shocked. I was so sure that the Repugs had won this round. What will they do next?
    Ironically, it could be an advantage for them. If it was overturned, their biggest issue on Obama, outside the economy, would have been neutralized. Now, they could be galvanized to stop Obamacare from advancing any further, and the only way to do that would be to put Romney in. Ironically.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Ironically, it could be an advantage for them. If it was overturned, their biggest issue on Obama, outside the economy, would have been neutralized. Now, they could be galvanized to stop Obamacare from advancing any further, and the only way to do that would be to put Romney in. Ironically.
    Shit. So in theory, the Supreme Court could be helping the Republican Party.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

the repubs did win. not the elected ones, but the ones that run the health care industry. those old rich white men that everyone is always talking about. Ka-ching ka-ching. They'll hardly be able to count all the new profits that they're going to make.

if the left had really won the healthcare fight we'd have single payer. not this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

^^The Supreme Court is only supposed to rule on the constitutionality of the law, not whether or not it's a good law.

Fox News is saying it's a victory because the states don't have to participate in the expansion of medicaid.

I do agree with Roberts on the point that ideology shouldn't factor into the ruling. The Supreme Court should be neutral in terms of rulings and judge based on constitutionality, not if you are Republican or Democrat.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

the repubs did win. not the elected ones, but the ones that run the health care industry. those old rich white men that everyone is always talking about. Ka-ching ka-ching. They'll hardly be able to count all the new profits that they're going to make.

if the left had really won the healthcare fight we'd have single payer. not this.
    The left wasn't going to win that fight, though. There was not nearly enough support for single payer.

It can be argued that ACA is an evolutionary step toward single payer because the Federal Government will be much more entrenched in healthcare rules and policies than it was before ACA.

So what does this mean to the common guy and his families health care?

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    ^^The Supreme Court is only supposed to rule on the constitutionality of the law, not whether or not it's a good law.

Fox News is saying it's a victory because the states don't have to participate in the expansion of medicaid.

I do agree with Roberts on the point that ideology shouldn't factor into the ruling. The Supreme Court should be neutral in terms of rulings and judge based on constitutionality, not if you are Republican or Democrat.
    This.

"The court does not express any opinion on the wisdom of the (healthcare law)... that is reserved to the ppl." Quote from Justice Roberts

It seems the key phrase of the day is "Commerce Clause".

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    So what does this mean to the common guy and his families health care?
    From CNN:

The uninsured
    The decision leaves in place the so-called individual mandate -- the requirement on Americans to have or buy health insurance beginning in 2014 or face a penalty -- although many are exempt from that provision.
    In 2014, the penalty will be $285 per family or 1% of income, whichever is greater. By 2016, it goes up to $2,085 per family or 2.5% of income.

Health care exchanges, which are designed to offer cheaper health care plans, remain in place as well.
    The insured
    Because the requirement remains for people to have or buy insurance, the revenue stream designed to help pay for the law remains in place. So insured Americans may be avoiding a spike in premiums that could have resulted if the high court had tossed out the individual mandate but left other requirements on insurers in place.
    Young adults
    Millions of young adults up to age 26 who have gained health insurance due to the law will be able to keep it. The law requires insurers to cover the children of those they insure up to age 26. About 2.5 million young adults from age 19 to 25 obtained health coverage as a result of the Affordable Care Act, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
    Two of the nation's largest insurers, United Healthcare and Humana, recently announced they would voluntarily maintain some aspects of health care reform, including coverage of adult dependents up to age 26, even if the law was scrapped.
    People with pre-existing conditions
    Since the law remains in place, the requirement that insurers cover people with pre-existing medical conditions remains active.
    The law also established that children under the age of 19 could no longer have limited benefits or be denied benefits because they had a pre-existing condition.
    Starting in 2014, the law makes it illegal for any health insurance plan to use pre-existing conditions to exclude, limit or set unrealistic rates on coverage.
    It also established national high-risk pools that people with such conditions could join sooner to get health insurance. As of April, a total of only about 67,000 people were enrolled in federally-funded pools established by the health care law, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.
    More than 13 million American non-elderly adults have been denied insurance specifically because of their medical conditions, according to the Commonwealth Fund. The Kaiser Family Foundation says 21% of people who apply for health insurance on their own get turned down, are charged a higher price, or offered a plan that excludes coverage for their pre-existing condition.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The left wasn't going to win that fight, though. There was not nearly enough support for single payer.

It can be argued that ACA is an evolutionary step toward single payer because the Federal Government will be much more entrenched in healthcare rules and policies than it was before ACA.
    True, the Civil Rights law was actually the evolution of any number of laws over a period of years. It's a starting point not the magic fix.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Many more americans will now have insurance. It doesn't mean they'll get health care.

The health care bill entrenches private health insurance companies. For many people deductibles and co-pays will remain too expensive to actually use their new insurance. And many currently insured people are going to keep having their premiums increased on a regular basis.

It just pulls more people into a ridiculously expensive health care system that is managed and funded by private, for profit insurers with no countervailing government option.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Many more americans will now have insurance. It doesn't mean they'll get health care.

The health care bill entrenches private health insurance companies. For many people deductibles and co-pays will remain too expensive to actually use their new insurance. And many currently insured people are going to keep having their premiums increased on a regular basis.

It just pulls more people into a ridiculously expensive health care system that is managed and funded by private, for profit insurers with no countervailing government option.
    Exactly. So where was the reform? Honestly.. someone tell me. I think it's fantastic that everyone is now covered. But you hit the nail on the head.. it's still going to be unaffordable for many individuals. Insurance Premiums will go up another 30% and then what??

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information