Thread: Colleges move toward absolute bans on smoking

Default Colleges move toward absolute bans on smoking

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) As a political science major at Ohio State University, Ida Seitter says, she lit up many a cigarette to help her through the stress of exam season. Right or wrong, they were her security blanket as she toiled through college.

Seitter, now 26, was old enough by then to make her own decisions, she says. She opposes efforts by policymakers in Ohio, New York, California and other states to impose bans on tobacco use not just in buildings at public colleges, but also anywhere on the campus even in the open air.

"Just back away from me a little bit. I won't blow it in your face and I'll try not to be rude," Seitter says. "At the same time, I think it's a little discriminatory for a practice that is considered legal."

Bans on use, advertising and sales of tobacco in all its forms are being enacted or considered at perhaps half of campuses nationwide, sometimes over the objections of student smokers, staff and faculty. The movement is driven by mounting evidence of the health risks of secondhand smoke, the reduced costs of smoke-free dorms and a drive to minimize enticements to smoke at a critical age for forming lifelong habits.

California's state system will begin to bar tobacco use in 2013. A ban on use and advertising at the City University of New York system goes into effect in September, and the University of Missouri at Columbia is going smoke-free in 2014.

Ohio higher education officials plan a vote next month urging all public campuses to ban tobacco use. That includes Ohio State, one of the nation's largest universities, which currently bans only indoor smoking.

According to the surgeon general's report for 2012, tobacco use among people ages 18 to 25 remains at epidemic proportions nationwide. The review found 90 percent of smokers started by age 18, and 99 percent by age 26. About a quarter to a third of college students smoke, studies have found.

The study found the U.S. would have 3 million fewer young smokers if success in reducing youth smoking by state tobacco-cessation programs from 1997 to 2003 had been sustained. Many of the programs have been hit by budget cuts.

Health and education officials, anti-smoking groups and a generation of students who grew up smoke-free are increasingly united on the issue, says Bronson Frick, associate director of Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights.

"There are many reasons why a college or university may choose to pursue this type of policy, whether secondhand smoke, dorm fires, or other issues," he says. "They are also questioning what the role of tobacco is in this academic setting, where we're supposed to be standing for truth and training the next generation of leaders."

According to data kept by the nonsmokers group, campus tobacco bans have risen from virtually zero a decade ago to 711 today. That includes both four-year and two-year institutions, both public and private.

One of the first campuses to ban tobacco was Ozarks Technical Community College in Springfield, Mo., which endorsed the move in 1999 and put it in place four years later. The school also established a research center that works with other colleges and hospitals pursuing similar moves, now known as the National Center for Tobacco Policy.

Ty Patterson, the center's director, says Ozarks quickly realized that its previous policy of allowing smoking in designated outdoor areas was impractical and couldn't be properly enforced.

Forbidding all tobacco use was deemed to be more effective than simply saying no to cigarette smoke, Patterson says.

"When you go smoke-free, you drive smokers to use smokeless tobacco, which is more addictive," he says.

Compliance with tobacco bans is generally voluntary, and violations come with few, if any, real penalties. Repeat offenders are sometimes subjected to university disciplinary policies, which vary by school.

While precise statistics on the number of campuses curtailing tobacco are elusive, Patterson estimates that one-third to one-half of all higher education institutions have either made the move or are considering it.

Smoking rights advocate Audrey Silk, founder of New York Citizens Lobbying Against Smoker Harassment, says any outdoor ban whether for a campus, beach or public park is an attack on the rights of one segment of the population.

"This isn't a health issue anymore. It's a moral issue," she says. "There's absolutely zero reason for a smoking ban outdoors. They use it as a tool. Harm from smoke outdoors is an excuse to frustrate smokers into quitting because they can't find a place to light up."

Silk says it's not the place of schools to enforce health issues.

"Schools are a business," she says. "Who assigned them the role of behavior modification? It's their responsibility to educate. What they're doing is indoctrinating."

Tobacco companies have also questioned the role of universities to take such steps. With limited lobbying power at the college level, they have pursued legislation in some states to pre-empt tobacco-control decisions from occurring at any but the state level.

A spokesman for Philip Morris USA Inc., the nation's largest tobacco company, deferred comment to the company website, which states that some smoking restrictions are justified but that all-out bans "go too far."

"Smoking should be permitted outdoors except in very particular circumstances, such as outdoor areas primarily designed for children," it states.

Seitter, who now works as development coordinator for the Columbus Board of Realtors, says budding college smokers often took up the habit after-hours, at venues such as bars that campus tobacco bans don't reach.

"You find a lot of people start drinking at that age, and many people who don't consider themselves smokers, they smoke when they drink," she says. "I would think that atmosphere has more of an effect than somebody smoking on the corner."
    Colleges move toward absolute bans on smoking - SFGate

I bolded and underlined one of the points made in the article cause it reminded me of people getting addicted to "Designer drugs" because weed is illegal (yeah I know tobacco is still legal but I think it's a good comparison). I just don't agree with outright bans on outdoor smoking.

Elite Member

As a former smoker, who now absolutely cannot stand to even walk by someone who smokes, I am of two minds about this. When I was in college, there were smoking lounges in the library. You could smoke in your dorm room as well, and they would pair you up with another smoker. Now all buildings are nonsmoking, and I guess they have to go outside to smoke. Banning smoking on the entire campus is the next step, if it hasn't happened already. In some ways I think this is ridiculous. Just have smoking areas outside on campus behind a building or something.

DH's workplace will not let people even smoke in their car parked on employer property. They used to have designated smoking areas, well away from doorways so as not to bother others. Invariably the smokers gather around the door anyway, especially in the rain. So the person walking in and out gets a nice whiff. I hate that shit. I guess that's why they banned smoking altogether, because the smokers couldn't follow simple rules. They really want everyone to quit and have all kinds of programs set up to help.

I would definitely support a ban on smoking on college campuses, as well as in all public places. When I was in college, they banned smoking in bars, and it made going out so much more enjoyable. One person choosing to smoke creates a health hazard for everyone else. If you want to endanger your own health by drinking or using drugs, go ahead. I don't really care what people want to do in their personal lives if they are the only ones affected by it. But I draw the line when their choice of activity endangers everyone else.

I am extra sensitive to it because cigarette smoke triggers migraines for me, so I try to stay away from places where it's prevalent. But I do think that it should be the smokers, not the non-smokers, who are inconvenienced. Smokers force everyone else to endanger their health just by breathing. So, I absolutely have a problem with this being permitted in public places, and especially a school campus, which is a place that the other students can't just choose to avoid if they don't want to be around smoke.

I don't get what the problem with allowing them a space, outside, away from where people congregate, well out of the way is.

Oh yeah, it's not really about the smoking.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Ha, the university I work for is about to put a smoking ban in place and it includes in your own car on the roadways. It's not a closed campus and half the roads connect other parts of the city. Seems nonsensical to me.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Ha, the university I work for is about to put a smoking ban in place and it includes in your own car on the roadways. It's not a closed campus and half the roads connect other parts of the city. Seems nonsensical to me.
    Maybe they should put up a sign saying "Violators Will Be Shot On Sight/and or Site"
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information