Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gay Canadian Mounties getting married! awww!

Talking Gay Canadian Mounties getting married! awww!

The Force is with them as RCMP officers to wed
    By DAN ARSENAULT Staff Reporter

METEGHAN — On a Friday night in Yarmouth this June, Const. Jason Tree and Const. David Connors will don their scarlet dress uniforms, stand before family, friends and co-workers and wed in the first same-sex marriage in the RCMP’s storied history.

In an interview in their Meteghan home Wednesday afternoon, the men said they’ve had great support from the national police force, the community and their families.

"I’ve never had a single problem," said Const. Tree, 27, a native of Fredericton, who has worked in southwestern Nova Scotia for six years and is posted in Meteghan.

The pair, who’ve dated since meeting at the University of New Brunswick more than eight years ago, will be married by a justice of the peace at the Rodd Grand Hotel on June 30. Each will write his own vows, and each will have a best man. They expect plenty of fellow officers to attend and have yet to decide if they’ll have their colleagues form an honour guard for them. They plan to honeymoon in France and England.

Provincial RCMP spokesman Sgt. Frank Skidmore said the force was happy to hear about the union, adding that they’re proud RCMP officers reflect all aspects of the community.

"This is a first for us," Sgt. Skidmore said Wednesday. "Certainly, the RCMP welcomes a workforce that is representative of Canadian society, and that is the case here."

Const. Connors, 28, who grew up in Nackawick, near Fredericton, and Const. Tree had met before university because their high school clubs met each other occasionally. However, once they got to university, they discovered their mutual attraction.

"He kind of stood out from the rest," Const. Connors said.

After three years at UNB, Const. Tree left his partner for RCMP training in Regina and was posted to Yarmouth.

Const. Connors earned a computer engineering degree and took a job in Halifax. However, the industry took a downturn and he was laid off, so he moved to Yarmouth. After a year there, he took RCMP training and at the graduation ceremony had Const. Tree present him with his badge as his partner in front of the entire class.

He was posted to the Yarmouth town detachment.

"I love it more than any job I’ve ever done," he said.

Const. Tree said being a Mountie was always his goal.

The two moved in together several years ago and registered as domestic partners around the same time, which gives them the same basic legal rights as married couples.

But Const. Tree wanted to make the strongest possible commitment and popped the question while the pair were driving home from Halifax in January.

The pair had talked about it before, and Const. Connors said yes and kept on driving.

It was "no big romantic thing," Const. Tree said.

"It seemed like a good time (to ask)," he said, noting that laws had recently changed, the pair were living in the same area and had great support.

Asked if the publicity about their marriage will bring derision on them, Const. Tree said Mounties have thick skin.

"That’s nothing new. People insult you all the time.

"Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, and I don’t have a problem if people have that opinion as long as they keep it within the proper realm."

He said their decision to marry is entirely for themselves, but they do hope it helps change public perceptions about homosexuality.

"I think it really just shows that we’re representative of the community we live in."

Const. Connors said people in Yarmouth know he’s gay but haven’t tried to use it against him in any way, not that it would get them anywhere.

Although they have a lot of support from fellow officers, they aren’t immune to teasing and have heard joking remarks about being Brokeback Mounties.

"I’ve heard that, and it’s funny," Const. Connors said.

Both men have the support of their families, but Const. Connors admits to some challenges.

"My mother is the one who’s most concerned about it because she worries about her parents and what they’re going to think."

Const. Tree said his mother had trouble when he told her at age 19 he was homosexual but is now very supportive.

When asked how he thought other officers and members of the community might respond, Sgt. Skidmore said he doesn’t foresee any problems.

"It hasn’t been an issue. We’ve had gay officers for some time."

He said there shouldn’t be any problems when it comes to the officers working together. The RCMP’s policy regarding married couples, regardless of gender, is that one spouse cannot hold a position of power over the other in the same detachment.

"They can be nearby but not in the same exact environment," Sgt. Skidmore said.

Herm Wills, president of the Nova Scotia branch of the Campaign Life Coalition, isn’t eager to celebrate the force’s latest first.

Although he’s "not opposed to them doing what they want to do," he said the traditional definition of marriage should be respected.

There were differing opinions on the streets of Meteghan on Wednesday.

Two women who did not give their names said they oppose same-sex marriage.

A regular churchgoer, Gerald Deveau, 59, said the men can do as they please.

"It’s their business. What you do in your home is up to you."

Dwayne Beck, 23, also isn’t bothered and is comfortable with gay, married cops.

"It’s just their choice as men," he said.

( darsenault@herald.ca)

With Jennifer Stewart, staff reporter
    http://halifaxherald.com/Front/504265.html
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: Gay Canadian Mounties getting married! awww!

Awww, that's sweet. I hope they get their collegues to do the honor guard for them.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

If they can handle people snickering at their uniforms, this should be cake.

Congrats to the mounties.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Dudley Doright to the rescue!

More like Dudley Do-Him.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

They can role-play - one can be Dudley, and the other can be a poor camper in dire straits.

I wonder when it gets kinky enough for one of them to be tied to train tracks.

More power to them and as long as their happy. BTW, who's gonna throw the bouquet?
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

They probably won't have one

Wow, they really do always get their man!

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

"Brokeback Mounties" is cute. Good for them!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Hit By Ban Bus!

Good for them!

If I start worshipping Canada can I get to marry a Mountie??
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

HAH, figures! stupid neocons!

May 26, 2006. 01:00 AM
    BRUCE CHEADLE
    CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA—The Prime Minister's Office has warned Conservative MPs not to comment on the marriage next month of two gay RCMP constables.

The gag order went to all MPs but was aimed at "the small minority who might say something stupid," said one caucus member.

It's just the latest in a concerted effort by Prime Minister Stephen Harper to control and limit his new government's public message track.

And it follows party strategists' successful suppression during the election campaign of outspoken social conservatives whose opinions might have harmed the party's climb to power.

At one of Harper's campaign events in January, party officials spirited a well-known anti-abortion advocate into a back kitchen — in full view of bemused reporters — rather than risk the local Tory candidate's views being aired by the media.

Now the marriage of RCMP constables Jason Tree and David Connors in Yarmouth, N.S., appears to be causing some unease in the PMO.

Sandra Buckler, Harper's director of communications, was not available for comment yesterday.

But several Conservative MPs quietly confirmed they had received the PMO gag order after the story of the Mountie wedding received widespread media coverage last week.

Opposition MPs said the gag order is telling.

"It shows that Stephen Harper does not trust his own caucus to avoid social Neanderthalism on these issues," said Liberal MP Scott Brison. "And if he doesn't trust his caucus to be socially progressive, then why should Canadians trust his party to be socially progressive?"

NDP MP Libby Davies said the PMO note should have carried a very different directive: "What I would hope the (party) message would be is to congratulate these two officers who are obviously in love and want to get married."

Ian Brodie, Harper's chief of staff, has warned cabinet ministers that if they stray off message they face an escalating scale of sanctions, ranging from public humiliation to removal from cabinet.

Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay and Industry Minister Maxime Bernier have already felt the sting.

Maverick Conservative MP Garth Turner went public early in February with accounts of being sternly dressed down by the Prime Minister for speaking out on David Emerson's defection from the Liberals.
    http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...path=News/News

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information