Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By McJag
  • 3 Post By witchcurlgirl
  • 2 Post By NoNoRehab

Thread: A Dingo DID take her baby, says Coroner

A*O

Default A Dingo DID take her baby, says Coroner

I'm still not convinced but we'll never know the full story now. Its been 30 years and police/evidence techniques are much more reliable these days. At the time the Keystone Cops could have done a better job.

A dingo was responsible for the death of Azaria Chamberlain in 1980, a Northern Territory coroner has found.

Coroner Elizabeth Morris told a packed courtroom on Tuesday that a dingo was to blame for the attack at Uluru, which originally saw Azaria’s mother Lindy Chamberlain-Creighton jailed for murder and her husband Michael given a suspended sentence for being an accessory after the fact.

Both were later exonerated after a royal commission in 1987.

In the final moments of handing down her finding, an emotional Ms Morris apologised to the Chamberlain family.

Ms Morris said she was satisfied the evidence was ‘‘adequate, clear, cogent and exact and excluded all other reasons possible’’.

She told the court: ‘‘(Azaria) died at Uluru on 17th August 1980 as a result of being attacked and taken by a dingo.’’

She said an amended death certificate was available immediately to them.

Outside the court, an emotional Mrs Chamberlain-Creighton thanked lawyer Stuart Tipple for his ‘‘unrelenting persistence, without which we wouldn’t have been able to fight so long.’’

‘‘We are relieved and delighted to come to the end of this saga,’’ she said.

‘‘No longer will Australia be able to say that dingoes are not dangerous and will only attack if provoked.

‘‘We live in a beautiful country but it is dangerous and we’d ask all Australians to be aware of this and take appropriate precautions and not wait for somebody else to do it for them."

Michael Chamberlain, Azaria’s father, thanked the ‘‘courageous and independent coroner’’ for her finding, saying she was ‘‘speaking for the dead’’.

‘‘This has been a terrifying battle,’’ he told reporters.

‘‘Bitter at times, but now some healing and a chance to put our daughter’s spirit to rest.’’

He said justice can be achieved no matter how hard it seemed. ‘‘It has taken too long [but] I’m here to tell you, you can get justice even when you think all is lost,’’ he said.

Mr Chamberlain recalled being told by a senior judicial officer after the previous inquest that he would never get justice in the Northern Territory. ‘‘Well, the truth is out,’’ he said.

He thanked the media for its ‘‘reporting based on facts’’ and the family’s supporters throughout the ordeal.

‘‘If you know you are right, never give up on getting it right when a serious issue could affect the life and livelihood of others.’’

During the inquest both the counsel assisting the coroner, Rex Wild, QC, and the lawyer representing Azaria’s parents, Stuart Tipple, agreed a dingo was the most likely cause of the baby’s death.

The finding means Ms Chamberlain-Creighton, as she is known after remarrying, and her ex-husband Michael Chamberlain have finally won recognition that a dingo killed their child.

The inquest was the fourth into the death of Azaria since the nine-week-old child disappeared on a camping trip.

The decision will mean that Azaria’s death certificate will be changed.

In 1988, the Northern Territory Court of Criminal Appeal overturned all convictions against the Chamberlains but a coronial inquest in 1995 delivered an open verdict.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

This was the biggest witch hunt and I hate to admit that at the time I bought into everything the media tried to sell us to get this woman convicted. That's why a lot of Aussies that can remember back that far have the same attitude as I do about incriminating someone based on media beat-up.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I believe her. There are too many real life things wilder than anyone can dream up.
    Poor woman has suffered so much.
    arie_skop likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The general public and media tend to judge harshly when you don't act like they think you should. As if there is a 'correct' way to react to horrific circumstance. That judgement is doubled when you're a woman. Chamberlain didn't act they way they wanted her to, so they punished her.

The public's and the media's judgement is often wrong. The loved ones of murder victims have frequently cried touchingly for the cameras and then turned out to be the killer.
    mjw, WhateverLolaWants and Sasha like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

One of the little things that bother me in Buffy the series, is the name of Oz's band - 'Dingo Took My Baby'. How a baby being eaten alive became a punch-line in modern society baffles the hell out of me. But, Lindy and Michael said that this finding from the new inquest would bring them peace, so I suppose it's time to "leave it be".
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

i want to know what they found exactly that convinced them. it doesn't say in the article, just that the coroner reached that conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    One of the little things that bother me in Buffy the series, is the name of Oz's band - 'Dingo Took My Baby'.
    ha, i thought that was hilarious.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Dogs attack infants in every country. What is so hard to believe? Dingo did it.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I think I read that the thing that finally swayed them was when a portion of Azaria's clothing was found in a dingo den.

I'm glad justice has been served because it was a witch hunt. They found fucking dingo tracks at the time that also showed the dingo was stopping frequently and dropping/picking up something heavy in its mouth. It's just sad that it took several other dingo attacks in the ensuing years to make people realize that dingoes are dangerous and capable of it.
    arie_skop and Sasha like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

About time, they finally admitted that dingoes are dangerous and not your "typical pet". Dont know why they needed to cover this up for so long.

I think what swayed a lot of people was how convincing the forensic evidence seemed to be. Everything pointed to the parents' involvement, but this was 30 years ago and even though it all seemed so advanced and scientific, in hindsight the forensic "experts" were trying to make the evidence fit the conclusion.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    The general public and media tend to judge harshly when you don't act like they think you should. As if there is a 'correct' way to react to horrific circumstance. That judgement is doubled when you're a woman. Chamberlain didn't act they way they wanted her to, so they punished her.

The public's and the media's judgement is often wrong. The loved ones of murder victims have frequently cried touchingly for the cameras and then turned out to be the killer.

I always point out what happened to Richard Jewel when people automatically believe the media and 'authoritative' pronouncements as to an individual's guilt in a high profile case. That man was practically crucified by the media and the FBI before they were forced to admit they were wrong. When everybody in the media is jumping on a guilty bandwagon before a trial has even commenced I always assume they are lying for sensation/profit, have a political agenda, or that they are just plain stupid until I know otherwise.

Thread Information