Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At Least Four Dead as Too Many Thrill-Seekers Try to Summit Everest at Once

Default At Least Four Dead as Too Many Thrill-Seekers Try to Summit Everest at Once

At least four people have perished near the peak of Mount Everest this weekend, and the body count may yet rise according to unconfirmed reports from the site.

The four climbers a German doctor, a Nepal-born Canadian citizen, a South Korean mountaineer, and a Chinese climber died as a result of exhaustion and high-altitude sickness on their way down from the summit.
    A major issue this year wreaking havoc on the health of Everest scalers is a phenomenon known as the "traffic jam."

A confluence of complications late start to an already tight climbing season, a rise in the number of climbers looking to summit the mountain, and an overcrowding at the perilous "Hillary Step" leading to the top has resulted in a life-threatening bottleneck that leaves climbers stranded at the summit for longer than is advisable.

"That's a hell of a lot of standing around," says experienced expeditionist Tom Briggs. "That certainly increases the dangers of frostbite and other problems like high-altitude sickness."

Some Sherpa guides are recalling the tragic climbing season of 1996 the deadliest on record in describing the dangers they've encountered this year.

Others say this is an all-together new threat. "This is the first time I've seen it like this," Onzchhu Sherpa told Outside Magazine.

Sadly, he may see it again soon: A new traffic jam is expected as some 200 climbers attempt to reach the summit this weekend.

At Least Four Dead as Too Many Thrill-Seekers Try to Summit Everest at Once
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

You'd think someone would control the number of climbers going up. Maybe even the climbers themelves. If you know there are 200 people on the mountain this weekend, wait.

I was reading about the Nepalese-born Canadian on Facebook earlier today - she was a young, relatively inexperienced climber. The Huffington Post reported on it. Sad.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

There are quite a few articles about the number of bodies on the mountain - its described as a morgue-
    if you Google bodies of Mt Everest there are many accounts of how the climbers have perished , it's really sad

Not just bodies, but all the junk they leave up there, including piles and piles of empty oxygen tanks. I don't get why people feel such a need to climb it - do they feel like they conquering nature or something? Each to their own but I'll stay down here where it's warm, thanks anyway.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

A*O

Yawn. Conquering Everest is so 1953.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Darwin nominees??

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    Darwin nominees??
    Apparently a long line of them.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

....I got a bit obsessed by Everest about this time last year, I don't EVER want to climb it but I find it mad how people are willing to literally risk their lives to get to the top of that mountain.

I had absolutely no interest in Everest at all, until I was pointed towards this website a sea of lead, a sky of slate: Abandoned on Everest (warning some dead skeleton type people on there)
    and the morality of leaving people behind to die like that fascinated me, in an extremely morbid way.

Some books I read about trips to Everest (in particular the 1996 season when 8 people died(edit-8 in one night, 15 in total for the season)) were 'Into Thin Air' by Jon Krakauer, who was there that year, and also 'The Climb' by Anatoli Boukreev- a reply to the accusations made by Krakauer that he could have done more to save people that night. It's worth reading them both.

Also another good Everest book is 'Dark Summit' by Nick Heil- an account of the 2006 season when 11 people died. There was also a Discovery documentary team there that year which captured some of the events (the editing is as irritating as shit but it's still enjoyable) which you can get on DVD.

It's 8000 metres high, it's so massive, last time I was on a plane I kept notice of when we were that high...it's insane. If you were to (somehow) get a helicopter up there and be dropped at the top without acclimatising first you'd be dead within 30 minutes as the oxygen levels are only a 3rd of that at sea level. This is why it is also so hard to rescue people from the peak (or Danger Zone') -every movement is exhausting, air is at a premium and the weather can turn on a sixpence, to try to save one person may kill several more.

I'll stop here, but I recommend reading about Everest expeditions, it's really really fascinating.

I don't mind reading about them, but this is not the way I want to die!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Not just bodies, but all the junk they leave up there, including piles and piles of empty oxygen tanks.
    I'd be up for joining one of these expeditions someday but they just get stuff from the lower levels.

SAVING MOUNT EVEREST: Saving Mount Everest Clean-Up Expedition Team Successfully bring over 8 Tons of garbage from Mount Everest and its Trekking Trails

Edit: it seems they do sometimes have people trying to clean up the death zone
    http://news.discovery.com/earth/moun...up-litter.html

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post
    I had absolutely no interest in Everest at all, until I was pointed towards this website a sea of lead, a sky of slate: Abandoned on Everest (warning some dead skeleton type people on there)
    and the morality of leaving people behind to die like that fascinated me, in an extremely morbid way.
    Thanks for that, it was really interesting!
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

NBC News had a report on this last night on their broadcast. Honest to God, it looked like an army of ants crawling up the side of Everest trying to get to the top. There were HUNDREDS of people, waiting their turn to summit. Apparently, the only time that's viable to climb it is May-July, then the weather gets iffy. Then, once you get up there, you gotta turn right back around and leave and the rest of the crowd is blocking your way. You can't stay longer than 30 minutes, or you'll get frostbite. It's completely ridiculous.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

czb

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    You'd think someone would control the number of climbers going up. Maybe even the climbers themelves. If you know there are 200 people on the mountain this weekend, wait.
    i know! don't they issue permits or something?

i would love to visit basecamp but am too much of a chicken to go much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by choozen1ne View Post
    There are quite a few articles about the number of bodies on the mountain - its described as a morgue-
    if you Google bodies of Mt Everest there are many accounts of how the climbers have perished , it's really sad
    The pictures are crazy. If I remember correctly, there is one that is from the 20's or 30's and it's in good condition. It's pretty creepy and sad. And there is one of a woman that begged people for help and they couldn't help her because they would all die. It must be tragic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information