Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sexist boss: women in advertising are crap.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Sexist boss: women in advertising are crap.

By Clinton Manning
    AN advertising boss sparked outcry after branding women workers "crap".

Neil French, 61, blurted out at a private dinner: "Women don't make it to the top because they don't deserve to. They're crap."

Cigar-chomping French, a top executive at giant WPP, is said to have added that women often "wimp out and go suckle something".

He resigned over his remarks.

His outburst left women colleagues seething. One, Nancy Vonk, was so angry she exposed him on the internet.

She said she was still "partially paralysed" by what he said. She added: "What struck me so hard ... was that in his honest opinion he was voicing the inner thoughts of legions of men in the senior ranks of our business.

"Replace every comment Neil made about women with the word 'black' and take my point."

The hype promoting the dinner in Toronto, Canada, described French as a "rock star" in advertising.

It added: "He has made his own rules from day one, saying and doing whatever he has pleased..."

To those who know Singapore-based French, his outburst there did not come as such a shock.

One said: "He's a genius but he has an ego the size of Australia. He's always been a maverick."

Mr French, pictured top right, denied making all the comments.

He insisted: "I'm anti-racism, anti-sexism and everything else."

But he added: "What I did say was to be a creative director requires 100 per cent commitment.

"People who have babies to look after can't do that."

Asked if he regretted the controversial speech, he said: "Absolutely not."

He did admit to putting WPP boss Sir Martin Sorrell in "a terribly invidious position by people giving him an earache about this."

He added: "I told him, 'I'll save you the trouble, I'll resign'."

A spokeswoman for WPP, the second-largest advertising group in the world, said yesterday: "Neil has offered to resign following remarks made last week."

Mr French's howler echoes jeweller Gerald Ratner's blunder in 1991 when he admitted selling "crap" in his High Street shops.
    Strangely, I just saw a show last night called 'Dragon's Den' which had a bunch of venture capitalists listening to pitches for new companies, etc. Anyway, one guy, who couldn't have been more than 40, actually said that he didn't see how a woman with a young child could lead a company that CATERED TO WOMEN IN BUSINESS WITH FAMILIES.

Someone tell me, are men really still this fucking sexist, even the new generation?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Yes, men are really still this fucking sexist.

Bloody hell...I'm off to crawl under a rock and rethink my participation in the human race.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Bloody hell...I'm off to crawl under a rock and rethink my participation in the human race.

*shrug* What can we do about it? If you're a woman you already have a huge strike against you no matter what color you are or your socio-economic background. It is still very much a man's world.

Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    Yes, men are really still this fucking sexist.
    So true.

I work with men mostly and when they find out I actually know what I'm doing and if they feel threatened they will go out of their way to try and trip me up or lay some sort of blame on me which mean I always have to cover my ass and be one step ahead.

Or I could take the easy way out and act dumb and just smile a lot.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    So true.

I work with men mostly and when they find out I actually know what I'm doing and if they feel threatened they will go out of their way to try and trip me up or lay some sort of blame on me which mean I always have to cover my ass and be one step ahead.

Or I could take the easy way out and act dumb and just smile a lot.
    Works for me, you can always offer them cookies and seat on your couch...in their office after you've taken their job

Elite Member

I think most men in the workplace are sexist underneath, even though many can keep these comments to themselves, unlike this jerk in the article above.

I've actually discussed this with men, and they all said the same thing: They say they find it very hard to respect the authority of a female supervisor over a male boss b/c something about the female being physically smaller and having a higher-pitched voice makes them less authoritative.

My lawyer, who's openly gay, told me even he feels the same way as the straight males and that he has to stop himself from disrespecting the authority/opinion of a female colleague simply b/c she's a woman.

Most men in the office are dicks. This is especially true in my field, which is VERY male-dominated. I'm used to being the only chick on the team, in the lab, in the meeting room, on the business trip, etc.

It's true in most fields. Journalism, law, education, medicine -- I've experienced and heard horror stories from women in those and other professions/industries.

It won't change until men realize that working together as equals doesn't mean they're going to lose out. Until then, it's business as usual, and we know what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    It's true in most fields. Journalism, law, education, medicine -- I've experienced and heard horror stories from women in those and other professions/industries.

It won't change until men realize that working together as equals doesn't mean they're going to lose out. Until then, it's business as usual, and we know what that means.

Usually the men I work with on my same level are fine; sometimes the men that are below me cop an attitude, and I have run into sexism before, though mostly in the UK.

SVZ

i think a lot of it comes from jealousy.

it's just one of the easiest most visible things.

why does she get the raise? she's a woman

why does he get the raise? he's an immigrant

stupid yes, but it happens more than you think...even in high school. even if it's a joke, people are still thinking it.

I've run into sexism everywhere I've worked -- Canada and the U.S. and Europe. I was the only woman in the newsroom who wasn't in the women's section for years, and I learned a lot. And I still like men.

What was it Charlotte Whitton, the former mayor of Ottawa once said? "Women have to be twice as smart and twice as good as a man to succeed. Fortunately, that isn't difficult."

I've had a lot of great male colleagues over the years, but many of them have admitted to me privately that they're scared of women "taking over." And many of these same men were contemptuous of the good ol' boy network, even as they benefitted from it. It's complicated.

I've actually discussed this with men, and they all said the same thing: They say they find it very hard to respect the authority of a female supervisor over a male boss b/c something about the female being physically smaller and having a higher-pitched voice makes them less authoritative.
    Sounds like a mommy complex to me.

--Sinclair Lewis

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I honestly think that it will never change. We will put a good face on it and play the "same game", but underneath, men still have less respect for women. I think many women also have less respect for their own sex. It is the same as racism, just underneath the "everyone is the same" spouting that we all do, there is the feeling, that we are all equal, just some are more equal than others.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

I don't think men and women are the same, but that doesn't mean one os 'better' than the other. I also don't think men are all the same or women are all the same: you just can't lump people together into pre-concieved groups.

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information