Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Teens drinking hand sanitizer to get drunk

Default Teens drinking hand sanitizer to get drunk

Great! Am I going to have to start buying my hand sanitizer from the pharmacist? Show them my license and only be allowed a certain number per month??? Geez, how dumb are these kids? I never understood the mouthwash/cough syrup drinkers. My alcoholic uncle drank aftershave, RIP.

Vitals - 'Dangerous' trend: Teens guzzling hand sanitizer

There's a new dangerous trend among teenagers -- trying to get drunk by guzzling hand sanitizer. Over the past month at least eight teens in Los Angeles county have landed in area emergency rooms with alcohol poisonings after drinking the cheap liquid, the Children's Hospital of Los Angeles reports.
    It's unclear whether the teens knew each other, or had communicated, but at least some of them were distilling the hand sanitizer products, which typically contain at least 60 percent ethyl alcohol, using salt to separate the alcohol. The result is a powerful 120 proof shot, about 50 percent more potent than vodka or tequila, says Dr. Cyrus Rangan, medical toxicologist with the California Poison Control System.

"If a person has never had alcohol before, they can get drunk almost instantaneously," Dr. Calvin Lowe told NBC Los Angeles. "It's very, very dangerous."
    Using hand sanitizer to get drunk is just the latest get-wasted fad, similar to young people downing mouthwash or cough syrup, also known as robo-tripping. In 2010 a Food and Drug Adminstration panel weighed whether to require a prescription to buy products containing dextromethorphan, the ingredient found in numerous over-the-counter cough and cold medicines. The FDA panel voted against the proposal.
    "Teens have always been looking for things around the house to get high, so they don't have to go to a drug dealer," says Rangan.
    According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, the substances most frequently involved in teen poisonings in 2010 (the most recent data available) were:

Ibuprofen -- 10,030 calls
    Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (Antidepressants such as Paxil, Prozac and Zoloft) -- 8,419 calls
    Acetaminophen (adult formula) -- 7,995 calls
    Atypical Antipsychotics (Ablify, Risperdal) -- 7,319 calls
    Benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax) -- 7,192
    Alcohol -- 5,061 calls
    Source: AAPCC

While there have been prior cases of people drinking hand sanitizer, the salt procedure is relatively new, Helen Arbogast, injury prevention coordinator-Trauma Program at Children's Hospital Los Angeles, said in a statement. Although the emergency room cases appear limited to Los Angeles county for now, experts are concerned the trend could go viral as more teens discover how to distill the liquid sanitizer on websites or in YouTube videos.

Children's Hospital is recommending that concerned parents treat hand sanitizer like liquor or medications. Another alternative for parents is to switch to non-gel based foam sanitizers, suggests Rangan.

Children's Hospital is recommending that concerned parents treat hand sanitizer like liquor or medications.
    I'm preparing a hand sanitizer cocktail as we speak.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I'm preparing a hand sanitizer cocktail as we speak.
    Can you pour a glass for me? It's been a long day I'll bring the Listerine shooters!

and the toothpaste dinner mints from that other thread!
    Lalique likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I'm pouring the top shelf stuff.

What if I use the stuff with aloe in it? Will I have a smooth esophagus?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

A smooth ride to the nearest hospital is more likely

I want to know what all those little bastards are doing with all that ibuprofen!
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (Antidepressants such as Paxil, Prozac and Zoloft) -- 8,419 calls
    Benzodiazepines (Valium, Xanax) -- 7,192
    I'm surprised that SSRIs got more calls than benzos. I'm also surprised that an SSRI has any "high" potential.
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

Bunch of fucking morons.
    greysfang and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Gosh, I saw this on an Intervention episode and kinda laughed it off.

I don't actually need to show my face at the liquor store (continually), I can just go to my local grocery store and stock up and there's no judging?? Well fantastic then! I'm super clean is all!!!!

That shit must suck to drink, but hell, I'll give anything a whirl once. AND it goes through airport and stadium security nicely. WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Air Quotes View Post
    I want to know what all those little bastards are doing with all that ibuprofen!
    Destroying their livers? I could think of much better ways...
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Children's Hospital is recommending that concerned parents treat hand sanitizer like liquor or medications. Another alternative for parents is to switch to non-gel based foam sanitizers, suggests Rangan
    What - lock up your hand sanitizer in the booze cabinet?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

My husband says quit saving these kids if they're that stupid. (i.e. George Carlin: "the kid who ate too many marbles didn't grow up to have any kids of his own!")

I notice, no marijuana on that list. Imagine that.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

^ No joke. Reminds me of the "hard-core" girls from high school who I smoked with in the bathroom . "you gotta try cough syrup, you'll puke your guts out but it's totally worth it." Um yeah, sounds like y'all had a great weekend. Party on.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information