Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stay-at-home Mom goes on strike

Talking Stay-at-home Mom goes on strike

FRANKFORT, Ind. (AP) - A stay-at-home mom is on strike - giving up her daily chores until her family gives her more help around the house.

Regina Stevenson, 41, sat on a lawn chair Tuesday on the sidewalk outside her home in Frankfort, 20 miles southeast of Lafayette, with a sign saying "Mom on Strike."

Stevenson has four children, ranging in age from 7 to 19. The youngest three live at home with her and her husband, Dennis, along with their daughter-in-law and grandson.

Stevenson says the large household means doing a lot of laundry, cooking, cleaning and gardening.

"I do everything except bring home the paycheck," she said, crediting her husband for that contribution.

Stevenson said her children are good kids and that her husband keeps odd hours and can't always pitch in.

But she said she wants more help around the house and that she won't be cleaning, cooking or doing other chores until they clean and learn to appreciate her.

"(Stay-at-home moms) are not paid with money, and I think that you should show a little courtesy and respect for what we do," she said.
    Last edited by Grimmlok; October 21st, 2005 at 03:08 PM.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

He brings home the bacon, trying to make sure that they keep that house that she complains about. So why complain about maintaining the house.
    If she wants respect, then she should get out and get a real job.
    -my opinion.
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

Being a homemaker IS a real job apparently.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by FierceKiten View Post
    He brings home the bacon, trying to make sure that they keep that house that she complains about. So why complain about maintaining the house.
    If she wants respect, then she should get out and get a real job.
    -my opinion.
    Although it is a partnership, and everyone who lives there should pitch in
    as if anyone were in her shoes.

-I just contradicted my own statement, Im a Loser!

It happens to the best of us...

SHe chooses to stay home and then complains when she has to do something in that home? Give me a break.

I have a full time job AND I do the laundry, cooking, cleaning and gardening...myslef, as a single Mother.

I'm thinking I would be laughing if all I had to do was the household chores. She should try working 8 demanding hours THEN go home to do more work.

^^ That is the reality for most women, even those who have husbands/partners. It's shameful.

A study a couple of years back showed that even when working women who can well afford to hire a housecleaner, most don't do it. I'd do it in a nano-second if I could find a reliable service. I like to cook and do my own laundry, but apart from that, I have better things to do with my time.

If she is a stay at home mom its her JOB to do all those things she's bitching about. Like someone already said, a lot of us work 8-12 hr days and still have to come home and wash clothes, clean, etc. What a whiny bitch.

I'd be kicking the daughter-in-law and baby out pronto!! Tough love, maybe, but if they're getting free rent they should be helping!
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

I saw that on the news... the husband reportedly said something along the lines of being happy to replace her if she didn't like her job. Or that he would consider replacements. Something like that. The newcasters were all laughing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    I'd be kicking the daughter-in-law and baby out pronto!! Tough love, maybe, but if they're getting free rent they should be helping!
    I thought the same thing along with what Im guessing the 19 yr old son who maybe married to this girl and it his child.
    I stay at home and love it. I dont complain about not getting any help with the cleaning, laundry or grocery shopping. Its my job, just like my husband doesnt complain to me about his job and expect me to come and do it for him.

Quote Originally Posted by muchlove View Post
    I saw that on the news... the husband reportedly said something along the lines of being happy to replace her if she didn't like her job. Or that he would consider replacements. Something like that. The newcasters were all laughing about it.
    The husband sounds like a dick. It wouldn't kill any of her family to help her out once in a while. She's a stay at home wife, not a fucking slave.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    The husband sounds like a dick. It wouldn't kill any of her family to help her out once in a while. She's a stay at home wife, not a fucking slave.
    Yeah, that's what I thought, too. A "housewife" might have things she's supposed to do, but that doesn't mean the husband and kids have employed her as their personal housekeeper. It's a family, not a "job".

Gold Member

For whatever archaic reason, it seems like the house is the woman's responsibility. It doesn't seem to matter if she works a job outside of the home 10, 20, 40 or 60 hours a week. I've done it all and it was still a reflection on me if the housework wasn't taken care of. Never the guy sitting in front of the computer playing games! Now that I stay home with our son, I feel like I'm going non stop. I have a serious problem getting to sleep at night and I don't sleep straight through, so I have a shifted clock. It's 8-10 hours from whenever I go to bed that I get up. People call at 8 in the morning aghast that we're sleeping. They don't realize that I've only had about 1/2 the sleep they had and when I do get up I won't be done until about midnight! My hubby has gotten better over time about helping with the inside chores but my problem with that is that he doesn't want to do outside things that I can't do. Things go for so long outside that I have to "nag" or do it myself. Imagine a 200 lb., 9 months pregnant woman with legs/back/hips that give out because said hips have spread wide enough to accomodate a station wagon, standing in the middle of a green, algae infested swimming pool trying to scoop and vac the bottom. His excuse "I don't like getting in, the sun is still out and I'll get burned." Heaven forbid you get light from a source other than office lights and computer screens but it's ok for me to expose our child to whatever bacteria has cultured in the backyard petri dish? But, I'm the one that wanted it clean so that made it my responsibility. Same with the bathroom, kitchen, bedroom and any other part of the house. Really I don't blame the woman.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information