Thread: Papers Refuse to run Doonesbury for abortion theme

Default Papers Refuse to run Doonesbury for abortion theme

This is one of the strips some papers are refusing to run. Please post the others if you find them. - sluce

Some Newspapers Refuse To Run 'Doonesbury' Comics On Abortion, Texas Ultrasound Law | Fox News

Some newspapers refuse to run 'Doonesbury' comics on abortion, Texas ultrasound law

Published March 09, 2012
    | FoxNews.com

'Doonesbury,' shown in this screengrab of its website, doonesbury.com, is distributed by Universal Press Syndicate.
    Several newspapers are refusing to run a "Doonesbury"comic strip series that crudely satirizes a Texas law requiring women to have an ultrasound before an abortion.

The company that provides the strip already plans to offer replacement "Doonesbury" comics for newspapers that want to avoid the series on abortion -- set to run next week.

Universal Press Syndicate managing editor Sue Roush confirmed to FoxNews.com that "there are replacement strips available for papers who choose not to publish next week's strips."

The series centers on a new Texas law that requires abortion doctors to show or describe an ultrasound image to a patient before the procedure. The comics feature a woman who goes to a clinic and is confronted by several people who suggest she should be shamed for seeking an abortion.

Media blogger Jim Romenesko reported in detail on the contents of the series. According to his blog, the woman in the strip first meets with a male lawmaker who, after she says she's been using contraception, says: "Do your parents know you're a slut?"

Preparing to deliver a "transvaginal exam," the doctor then tells her: "By the authority invested in me by the GOP base, I thee rape."

The Oregonian announced on its website that it will not be running the comic strips, which are the work of cartoonist Garry Trudeau -- who is known for his edgy political satire.

"'Doonesbury' is a venerable comic strip, and over the years we have resisted calls to remove it or move it to the editorial page. The reason: It's a comic strip and even though he delves into political satire, it is still a comic strip," an editor with the Oregonian wrote. "But in next week's strip, 'Doonesbury' author Garry Trudeau, in our judgment, went over the line of good taste and humor in penning a series on abortion using graphic language and images inappropriate for a comics page."

The article said the Los Angeles Times and St. Louis Post-Dispatch have made similar decisions.

A St. Paul Pioneer Press editor also told Romenesko the newspaper would not be running the "Doonesbury" strips next week.

Texas' law does not specify the type of sonogram a woman must receive, but an invasive transvaginal ultrasound is necessary to meet the law's other requirements that a doctor show the woman an image of the fetus, describing its features and make the fetal heartbeat audible in the first trimester. The procedure uses a wand inserted in the vagina to yield an image of the fetus and differs from an abdominal sonogram, in which the wand is rubbed over a woman's belly.

Universal Press Syndicate president Lee Salem said he wouldn't be surprised if 20 to 30 of the 1,400 newspapers that carry the strip decided to opt out and run the replacement series.

"Once every five or six months there's usually something in 'Doonesbury' that causes a stir," Salem said. "Every two or three years there's something that causes a bigger stir. This is probably one of those times. Historically, that's par for the course with 'Doonesbury' because Garry explores topics on comics pages that are not normally there."

Read more: Some Newspapers Refuse To Run 'Doonesbury' Comics On Abortion, Texas Ultrasound Law | Fox News
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Here is a link to today's strip but I can't post the image yet.

Doonesbury Strip
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

This is great. Spot on.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

How do you make an important stand and extremely important political point if you offer replacement strips for the very populations that need to see the series. One of my favorite bloggers did a post on this yesterday, let me see if I can find...

Doonesbury takes on the issue of the Texas Republican's bill to force transvaginal exams on women considering abortion.

Courtesy of Doonesbury.com This of course has caused a number of the more conservative papers to ban the strip, or move it to their op-ed pages.

Here is what we can look forward to in upcoming strips:

Monday: Young woman arrives for her pre-termination sonogram, is told to take a seat in the shaming room, a middle-aged male state legislator will be right with her.

Tuesday: He asks her if this is her first visit to the center, she replies no, that she’s been using the contraceptive services for some time. He says, “I see. Do your parents know you’re a slut?”

Wednesday: A different male is reading to her about the transvaginal exam process.

Thursday: In the stirrups, she is telling a nurse that she doesn’t want a transvaginal exam. Doctor says “Sorry miss, you’re first trimester. The male Republicans who run Texas require that all abortion seekers be examined with a 10″ shaming wand.” She asks “Will it hurt?” Nurse says, “Well, it’s not comfortable, honey. But Texas feels you should have thought of that.” Doctor says, “By the authority invested in me by the GOP base, I thee rape.”

Friday: Doctor is explaining that the Texas GOP requires her to have an intimate encounter with her fetus. He begins describing it to her. Last panel, he says, “Shall I describe it’s hopes and dreams?” She replies, “If it wants to be the next Rick Perry, I’ve made up my mind.”

Saturday: Back in the reception area, she asks where she goes now for the actual abortion. Receptionist tells her there’s a 24-hour waiting period: “The Republican Party is hoping you get caught in a shame spiral and change your mind.” Last panel: She says, “A final indignity.” Receptionist replies, “Not quite. Here’s your bill.”

Wow! That is certainly going to make some heads explode on the conservative side of the aisle!

I do believe this is the first time Doonesbury has been banned since his strips about the McGinniss book.

The Immoral Minority: Doonesbury takes on the issue of the Texas Republican's bill to force transvaginal exams on women considering abortion.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

God Bless Garry!

our newspaper was one of those that refused to run this strip. assholes.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I love Doonesbury since I was a teenager and he would show Bush as the invisible voicebox during Iran-Contra.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^^ and his manhood had been preserved in a blind trust!

And, in real life, Dubya wanted to beat up Trudeau for picking on his dad.

Thread Information