Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Kids (11 & 5) Found Living in Abandoned Bus

fgg

Default Two Kids (11 & 5) Found Living in Abandoned Bus

Two Kids (11 & 5) Found Living in Abandoned Bus

A postal worker called Child Protective Services on Wednesday after she found two Splendora, Texas, children living in an abandoned school bus. An 11-year-old girl and her 5-year-old brother were discovered in the window-blocked vehicle that was covered in trash in the woods.

The kids, whose names have not been released to protect their identities, have been living basically alone in the vehicle since the beginning of the year. Their parents are in federal prison after pleading guilty to conspiracy to embezzle money from Hurricane Ike victims in 2008. Both parents were sentenced to 18 months.

Following an investigation, officials discovered that one of the children's aunts stays with them at night. The aunt told Montgomery County Constable Rowdy Hayden that she provides meals for them during the day when they are alone during her work hours, according to reports.

"Looking around [the bus], we didn't see a lot of food readily available," Hayden told ABC's local affiliate KTRK-TV. "One of the neighbors had told us earlier that from time to time she will bring food over for the children."

"[The kids] always had dirty clothes on [and] no shoes, even in the winter," neighbor Gayla Payne told The Houston Chronicle, adding that the sister told Payne's daughter she only bathes twice a week.

The children's mother tells Eyewitness News from a prison phone that she and her husband were planning to build a house on the lot where the bus sits, and once they went to jail, they had the aunt and neighbors watch over the kids in their bus.

The mom also says the bus has hot and cold running water and electricity, and that she's on the phone with her children from prison very frequently. She says she is hoping to regain custody of the kids when she's free in 30 days. (um...probably not going to happen)

Kids Found Living Alone in Abandoned Bus : People.com
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

conspiracy to embezzle money from Hurricane Ike victims in 2008.
    Lovely. Arsehole parents probably used the "don't send us to prison, we have sprogs!" defense.
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

As much as I understand why this happened, it was still stupid.
    My only question is why didn't social services step in when both parents first went to jail?!

Why couldn't the aunt or neighbor take in the kids temporarily?

^^Nah, kids are like cats. As long as someone pops in every now and then to make sure they have food and water, they'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post
    As much as I understand why this happened, it was still stupid.
    My only question is why didn't social services step in when both parents first went to jail?!
    No shit, this mess is the federal court's issue. The children should be under the care of children's services (an oxymoron to be sure, but still)
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

'Neighbor'? 0.o

Also, she bathes twice a week...where? This story is so disjointed.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

The court was probably told the kids were staying with the Aunt. The parents probably signed over guardianship and did not make it a foster care situation where social services had to do visits.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Well then the "aunt" needs to go to jail.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Why? She stayed with them at night. She gave them food. They have running water and electric. It's a terrible situation but I am not sure any laws were broken. That is really sad! I want to know if they were going to school though.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

The children were unsupervised during her work hours, so that means no school and no sitter. If TPTB had determined the aunt would be responsible for them then she is guilty of nglect and truancy of at least the 11yo.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I hate that each state sets the law for how old a child must be to be left alone and if the 11 year old would have been deemed old enough to watch the 5 year old. I would have never hired an 11 year old to babysit my daughter when she was 5 but legally I could have. The school issue could be the legal issue here. Watch them say she was being home schooled by going on line each day...
    Last edited by sluce; March 10th, 2012 at 04:05 AM.

Mom of Abandoned Bus Kids Speaks Out from Prison
    By Dahvi Shira

Friday March 09, 2012 04:50 PM EST

Sherrie Shorten

An 11-year-old girl and her 5-year-old brother were discovered living in an abandoned, dilapidated bus on Wednesday, and now their imprisoned mother is speaking out about her decision to place them under those living conditions.

"We moved from an apartment into the bus to conserve funds, but then we were arrested," Sherrie Shorten explained to the Houston Chronicle on Thursday from jail. "There was no smell when we lived there."

When the window-blocked vehicle covered in trash was found in the woods, officials say the seats had been removed to accommodate a mattress and bunk beds. The bus was equipped with electricity, water and a small bathroom. A nearby shack contained a refrigerator that held a small amount of food.

"We were trying to keep them in their normal routine, around the toys, clothes and home that they knew," Shorten says of herself and her husband, who is also in prison – both for embezzling money from Hurricane Ike victims. "When we left, the bus was clean and did not reek of anything."

Shorten, who says she educates her daughter via mail from jail, adds, "I want my kids back. I am being released April 5 and was looking forward to being reunited and making a fresh start."
    Mom of Abandoned Bus Kids Speaks Out from Prison - Crime & Courts, Real People Stories : People.com

Covering her ass! The daughter was getting a fine "prison education" courtesy of mom.

That must be a hell of an education.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    The court was probably told the kids were staying with the Aunt. The parents probably signed over guardianship and did not make it a foster care situation where social services had to do visits.
    I thought this as well.

Amazon.com: All Alone in the World: Children of the Incarcerated (9781565849525): Nell Bernstein: Books this is a good book on the subject.

Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information