Thread: Inventor of Spanx is World’s Youngest Female Self-Made Billionaire

Default Inventor of Spanx is World’s Youngest Female Self-Made Billionaire

A product promising to help people look thin has given its inventor a big fat wallet. Thanks to her ingenious idea to combine insecurity, enormous underpants, and elastic sausage casings, Sara Blakely, the forty-one-year-old inventor of Spanx, is now the world's youngest female self-made billionaire.

Forbes magazine's annual billionaire issue features Blakely on the cover and an interview with the entrepreneur inside. According to the publication, the fact that she made her money without the help of a husband or an inheritance puts her in an elite group of dizzyingly rich ladies that includes Oprah Winfrey and Meg Whitman.

But Blakely's life wasn't always legless panty hose and dollar signs; after graduating from Florida State University in 1993, her early post collegiate career was characterized by heartbreak and ennui. Her first big adult disappointment came at the cruel white gloved hands of Mickey Mouse himself, as her dreams to play Goofy at Walt Disney World were dashed when she was told that, at 5'6", she was two inches too short. From there, she went on to work for a company that sounds a lot like Dunder Mifflin of The Office fame, cold calling Clearwater, Florida area businesses and attempting to sell them fax machines. She worked there for seven years.

During her tenure as a fax flinger, she had an idea that would end up making her a very, very wealthy woman — the stretchy, shaping thighs and legs of nylons, but without the attached stockings. She didn't tell anyone about her billion dollar idea for a year after it first occurred to her because she didn't want to be pooh-poohed out of it by naysayers, and when she approached a patent attorney, he asked her if he was on Candid Camera.

It took her two years to convince a factory to manufacture a run of her shapewear. But Blakely was undaunted. Now, for better or worse, the retooled girdle of the twenty-first century is now available in 35 countries and in 200 varieties.

Blakely says that she hopes young female entrepreneurs with a big idea and a whole lot of pluck refuse to be intimidated by what they don't know. Not knowing how things work, she reasons, can lead people to do things differently. And that can pay off.

At the very least, it can make millions of people look suspiciously unlumpy in form-fitting clothing.

Inventor of Spanx is World's Youngest Female Self-Made Billionaire
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Good for her!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

fgg

yes, good for her! i have about 5 ideas/inventions that i think would do really well but i don't know how you get them from idea to reality.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Elite Member

I would've never thought that the modern day equivalent of the girdle would come back into style. Girdles were something my grandma wore. I am happy to say that I do not own any Spanx or equivalent undergarments (yet).

I do, one black and one nude. They make much smoother lines under certain dresses than regular undies.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    I would've never thought that the modern day equivalent of the girdle would come back into style. Girdles were something my grandma wore. I am happy to say that I do not own any Spanx or equivalent undergarments (yet).
    There is a vast difference! The old kind were fiece, no breathing room. If some one pinched your bottom they would spring their fingers.
    This kind is soft & wearable.
    You might want to try one on- it ends any jiggle & smooths everything without being the slightest bother.

This is so great! A woman who had to fight just to get them made, now look!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I love my spanx!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I love my Spanx!!! It controls the wiggle and jiggle of all my ass!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I'm happy for her, but I honestly don't know how I feel about the product itself.

*Me outside the bathroom while a friend tries on her new spanx* You okay in there?

Friend: OMIGAW, they have a FUCKHOLE.
    Last edited by WhateverLolaWants; March 10th, 2012 at 07:03 AM.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    *Me outside the bathroom while a friend tries on her new spanx* You okay in there?

Fried: OMIGAW, they have a FUCKHOLE.

Good on her, Spanx are great!
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    I love my Spanx!!! It controls the wiggle and jiggle of all my ass!
    That remonds me of that old Jello commerial- see it wiggle, watch it jiggle...

1982 Commercials: Jell-o, Peter Pan, Bud Light, Atari, Honeycomb ...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Spanx are great! Love the pair I own, especially post baby when things just aren't quite back to normal. Good for her!

Thread Information