Thread: Florida's Oldest Tree burned down by meth head

Default Florida's Oldest Tree burned down by meth head

Florida's Oldest Tree Burned Down By Woman Smoking Meth Beneath It - Miami News - Riptide 2.0

"The Senator"

Sara Barnes

The 118-foot, 3,500-year-old bald cypress tree known as "The Senator" in Longwood, Florida, was not only the state's oldest tree, and the fifth oldest tree in the whole country, but also the largest tree of any type east of the Mississippi. To put the tree's age in perspective, it's estimated it first began growing shortly after 1500 B.C. But now it's gone, and a meth-addicted woman has been arrested for burning it down.

The Senator mysteriously burned to the ground on January 16th. The strange fire burned the tree from the inside out, and authorities were baffled.

Now, 26-year-old Sara Barnes has been arrested for the fire. Barnes said she regularly hid out in the Senator's park to get high on meth. She was getting high underneath the Senator when she lit a fire so she could see better. The fire got out of control, and Barnes fled. Though, not before she took a few photos and videos of the fire on her cellphone.

Barnes apparently told several of her friends about the fire, and eventually one of them tipped off police. Barnes admitted to burning the tree, and police found meth, and a glass pipe in her apartment.

She's been charged with intentional burning of land, a third degree felony, as well as additional drug charges.

The Senator is survived by its nearby neighbor, "Lady Liberty," an 89 foot-high Cyprus believed to be 2,000 years old.

Follow Miami New Times on Facebook and Twitter @MiamiNewTimes.
    http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/A...141064753.html

A Central Florida woman is facing charges in the fire that destroyed the 3,500-year-old bald cypress known as "The Senator," one of the oldest trees in the world.

Sara Barnes, 26, was arrested Tuesday on charges of intentional or reckless burning of lands and possession and intent to distribute methamphetamine and paraphernalia in the Jan. 16 fire, according to an arrest report.

According to Stirling Ivey, a spokesman for the Florida Department of Agriculture, authorities had received a tip in January that Barnes might have been responsible for starting the fire that gutted the 125-foot tall tree.

When authorities executed a search warrant Tuesday, Barnes admitted to starting the blaze, saying she frequently visited Big Tree Park to do drugs, Ivey said.

According to the report, Barnes, of Winter Park, hopped the fence at the park and at the tree with a friend and entered the hollowed out part of "The Senator."

Barnes told authorities she had started a fire as a light source but it quickly got out of control, Ivey said.

The report said Barnes told authorities she hopped back over the fence and ran to a fast food restaurant, and saw fire engines responding to the park a short time later.

Firefighters responded and ran hoses more than 800 feet to reach the fire, which burned from the inside out. But it was too late, and within a couple hours, the tree was destroyed.

Barnes posted bond Wednesday and was released from the Seminole County Sheriff's Office jail. It was unknown whether she has an attorney.

The tree, estimated to be more than 3,500 years old, was officially named "The Senator" but was known simply as “The Big Tree” to most people in Central Florida. The Big Tree was the largest native tree in the state, according to the Florida Forest Service.

" intentional burning of land, a third degree felony"

what? Sure she's a moron and did something wrong but this seems nuts. Didn't they have something else to charge her with?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Shit like this makes me sick to my stomach. How could anyone be so self-centered as to destroy something so monumental that everyone can enjoy and marvel at. I hope she dies in a fire, stupid bitch.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

It makes me sick too, stupid fucking cunt.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Bronze Member

Back in the early 90s some "wiccan" pencilprick poisoned the Treaty Oak in Austin with Velpar. Tree was estimated to be about 500 years old. He was "casting a spell."

He served 9 years for felony criminal mischief. Yeah, we're a bunch of tree-huggers.

I'm generally a libertarian about drug use, but damn, meth is just an evil high.

Hindsight is 20/20, but they should have filled in the hollow of that tree, or blocked it off with chickenwire or something.

Heard about that the other day. Made me sick too. That tree lived through 3500 years and some fucking meth head finally did it in? Sick.

SVZ

she's pretty....through the methface.

Thread Information