Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desperate Oprah in trouble with Nielson

Default Desperate Oprah in trouble with Nielson

http://m.cnn.com/primary/wk_article?...nt&pagesize=10

updated 04:39 PM EST 02.13.12 Oprah draws fire for asking Nielsen viewers to watch OWN

By James Hibberd, EW.com

(EW.com) -

Oprah Winfrey took to Twitter last night to ask Nielsen viewers to watch her cable network OWN, drawing criticism from some followers and investigative scrutiny from the ratings measurement company.

"Every 1 who can please turn to OWN especially if u have a Nielsen box," she tweeted Sunday evening at the start "Oprah's Next Chapter" and the mega-rated Grammy telecast. She later added, "Commercial Grammy people..u can turn to OWN."

That tweets caused a backlash on the social networking site, with readers accusing her of "begging for viewers" and being "desperate."

Oprah followed up with a flurry of defensive replies that were apparently in response to reader criticism: "The word 'please' is used as courtesy not a beg ... 'desperate' not ever a part of my vocab ... 'unethical' a little harsh don't u think? Seemed like it made sense to me. Sorry if u're offended."

The original tweet has since been deleted.

As Deadline noted, networks are not allowed to specifically target Nielsen subscribers. It's policy prohibits "attempts to single out panel members ... to change their viewing habits."

"In accordance with our policies and procedures, Nielsen is reviewing this incident with our clients and we may withhold, breakout and/or make a note in the ratings," a Nielsen rep told EW.com. "We take any violation of our policy seriously and will work with clients to resolve the situation."

Of course, given that 39.9 million people watched the Grammys last night, with CBS crushing rivals, a more effective punishment might be releasing OWN's ratings instead of holding them back.

UPDATE: Oprah Winfrey released this statement: "I removed the tweet at the request of Nielsen. I intended no harm and apologize for the reference."

See the full article at EW.com.

Break out the schadenfreude ladies!
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hee hee, ha ha. Imploring people to watch her? Weren't Orpah once in practical control of the housewife audience.

Of course - devil's advocate here - these Neilson peoples are the same dumbarses what kept Smallville on the air up to season nine... and with higher ratings that SUPERNATURAL!
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

Not schadenfreude exactly, but as usual, Oprah overestimated her importance, and the loyalty of her "fans." Just because people watched your show for an hour a day, doesn't translate into 24/7 devotion.

She also overestimated the popularity of all her little proteges. It's like when Dr. Phil was on her show every so often, I actually kinda liked him. When he got his own 5-day a week show, ummm no. A little bit of Oprah and crew go a loooong way.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I don't know how it is anywhere else, but on my tv when i 'run the channels' Oprah's channel just isn't in that mix of channels. Its on some obscure numbered channel that has nothing around it.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

^Yeah, it's on the basic channels with my directv, but I've read in some markets you have to upgrade to get it. No thanks. In any case, I've never watched it. Not interested in Oprah and Dr. Phil reruns. I really don't even know what her "original" programming is anymore, haven't seen much promotion for the network since it premiered. I guess Oprah's twitter advertising campaign isn't working.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Fuck her. She had a great run and made bazillions,...now go away!

At this point, I don't think she knows how to "go away". And many of us wish she would.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

My sister gave me a subscription to Oprah magazine. Thanks, sis. Every month it is full of expensive shit that I can't even aspire to ever owning. I don't hate Oprah the way a lot people do, I just have never paid much attention to her.

In any case...Did it ever occur to her that most of the women of America are out there working too fucking hard to sit around staring at our own navels and worrying about self-improvement? Jeez. Not to mention the fact that I am sick of shows centered around celebrities and their woes. I have no interest in hearing about Sarah Ferguson and her money problems, for example. Oprah is so far up her own ass that she has lost her ability to be helpful or motivating to the average person.

Her network isn't on my basic cable package. Seems like it would be. I have never seen it. I have my Bravo and HLN so I'm pretty happy.
    Begging people on Twitter to turn her on? Klassy.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    My sister gave me a subscription to Oprah magazine. Thanks, sis. Every month it is full of expensive shit that I can't even aspire to ever owning. I don't hate Oprah the way a lot people do, I just have never paid much attention to her.

In any case...Did it ever occur to her that most of the women of America are out there working too fucking hard to sit around staring at our own navels and worrying about self-improvement? Jeez. Not to mention the fact that I am sick of shows centered around celebrities and their woes. I have no interest in hearing about Sarah Ferguson and her money problems, for example. Oprah is so far up her own ass that she has lost her ability to be helpful or motivating to the average person.
    Orpah does comedy too?
    Free Charmed.

Once again, Michael K knocks it out of the park

Tuesday, February 14th 2012
    May The Power Of Godprah Compel You To Watch OWN

Mark February 12, 2012 as the day our Earth God, Oprah, actually begged us mere mortals to return the favor we owe her for giving us OPRAH!

As obviously none of you know since nobody is watching that shit, Oprah's cable network OWN is still on the air, but it could be letting out its final breath any day now. To put things into perspective, if OWN was an anus, it would be an anus belonging to me. Because only one or two people want to get near it and after they do they regret spending time with it in the first place. It's like the Trinity Network if the Trinity Network was run by OPRAH! I've watched OWN a few times, but shit ain't for me. It's too preachy, too serious and it wants me to learn a life lesson from it. Fuck that. The only lessons I want to learn from TV are how to complain about the wall color when I'm buying a house (House Hunters), how to react like a crazy fool when the taxidermist unveils my stuffed dog to me (American Stuffers) and how to pick the perfect outfit to wear before a drunken girl fight so that the censors have to blur out my exposed asshole (Bad Girls Club).

Anyway, OWN isn't doing too well in the ratings and so Oprah is starting to get desperate. A quick minute after the Grammys started on Sunday night, Oprah asked her nine million followers on Twitter to switch their shit to OWN:
    “Every 1 who can please turn to OWN especially if u have a Nielsen box.”
    Some of her followers dared to speak out of place and told her she was being unethical and corrupt. Those followers have since been wished into an endless field of TVs that play nothing but reruns of the Iyanla show.

Deadline says that Oprah's begging blew up in her face, because it's against Nielsen laws to openly ask a Nielsen family to watch a specific show or network. In this week's ratings, Nielsen will add a note to all of OWN's shows stating that Oprah tried to cheat and shit.

I would've watched OWN on Sunday night IF I had a Brigitte Nielsen box, but I don't and I'm a little disappointed by this. OPRAH is OPRAH. You'd think that after she desperately begged for viewers, she then would've Tweeted: "Everybody, look under your La-Z-Boy right now. YOU GET A NIELSEN BOX! AND YOU GET A NIELSEN BOX!" Oprah's omni powers are slipping.

And I would feel for Oprah, but the truth is, she brought this upon herself by bringing this:

....upon us. Karma, etc...
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I wonder if she's desperate enough to rerun her interview with Whitney.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

^ You had to ask??

FEBRUARY 16, 2012

Thursday TV pick: 'Remembering Whitney: The Oprah Interview'

BY MEKEISHA MADDEN TOBY

In September 2009, music legend Whitney Houston sat down with Oprah Winfrey for a revealing interview that was supposed to mark the Grammy-winning artist's comeback. After a nearly seven-year absence from the music business, Houston promoted her album, performed "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" and told Winfrey, fans and viewers of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" secrets about her marriage to R&B star Bobby Brown, her struggles with drug abuse and why she retreated from the spotlight. In honor of Houston's memory, Winfrey is re-airing this interview in the two-hour special "Remembering Whitney: The Oprah Interview," which airs at 9 tonight on OWN.

Thursday TV pick: 'Remembering Whitney: The Oprah Interview' | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    ^ You had to ask??

FEBRUARY 16, 2012

Thursday TV pick: 'Remembering Whitney: The Oprah Interview'

BY MEKEISHA MADDEN TOBY

In September 2009, music legend Whitney Houston sat down with Oprah Winfrey for a revealing interview that was supposed to mark the Grammy-winning artist's comeback. After a nearly seven-year absence from the music business, Houston promoted her album, performed "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" and told Winfrey, fans and viewers of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" secrets about her marriage to R&B star Bobby Brown, her struggles with drug abuse and why she retreated from the spotlight. In honor of Houston's memory, Winfrey is re-airing this interview in the two-hour special "Remembering Whitney: The Oprah Interview," which airs at 9 tonight on OWN.

I don't hate Oprah the way a lot of people do either, but this reeked of desperation and overestimating her relevance. The only show I liked on the OWN was the Sweetie Pies reality show.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information