Thread: Woman Fakes Daughter’s Death to Get More Vacation Time

Default Woman Fakes Daughter’s Death to Get More Vacation Time

Woman Fakes Daughter’s Death to Get More Vacation Time

Here's a pro tip: If you're trying to score a few more days off, don't pretend you're the victim of one of the most devestating tragedies a person can go through. And, if asked to provide documentation on said tragedy, definitely make sure all your fonts match.

WABC New York reports that Joan Barnett, a parent coordinator at the Manhattan School of Hospitality Management, has been fired for telling her bosses that her daughter died. Though presumably Barnett has more than two months off per year, she desperately wanted to spend two weeks in Costa Rica last March, so she hatched an elaborate plot. First she had her real daughter call the school and say that her non-existent sister was in Costa Rica and had fallen ill. Authorities say that next she had a relative call and say that the girl, "died of a heart attack the whole family going down for the wake and funeral."

What makes Barnett's crime even worse is that the whole thing was tremendously sloppy. She provided the school with a death certificate, but the principal became suspicious when he noticed the fonts were different sizes. The school contacted authorities and according to special schools investigator Richard Condon, a quick search through airline records confirmed that it was a scam."Although the death certificate said March 20th, 2010, she had booked the flight in early March so it was obvious she was going to Costa Rica for vacation," said Condon.

Now Barnett is on an extended vacation, as she's been fired. She also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor forgery. Condon says he hopes her termination sends a message to other people thinking of pulling a scam, and we're sure it did. Clearly if you're looking for more time off, faking mono is a much safer option.

Woman Fakes Daughter's Death to Get More Vacation Time
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Nice person. What a moron.

what the fuck, why not even just a parent or granparent person or somethin
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

i bet she used comic sans for the death certificate.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

fgg

i hope the conflicting font was wingdings.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Dumb bitch. She had better fucking pray that she never has to go through the actual loss of her daughter.

I know she isn't smirking in her mug shot.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post

Who wouldn't; comic sans is ideal for everything! Resumes, thankyou notes, dear john letters - it's my go-to font
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

I read a different article about this bitch and it said something about her daughter really dying---but it was a different date I think. She was allegedly able to fax the death certificate and bullshit to the Administration, but fact is, she still lied about the date, etc.

Lemme see if I can find it. Could be totally off on this one.

Well, not much, but here is what I was thinking:

A city school employee scammed a week off for a Costa Rica vacation by staging the mother of all hoaxes — convincing her bosses she couldn’t work because her daughter had died.

Joan Barnett, a parent coordinator at the Manhattan High School of Hospitality Management, was so determined to make the spring break jaunt that she:

* Had one of her daughters call the school to say that her sister had suffered a heart attack in Costa Rica.

* Had another daughter call the school later that day to say that the sister had died and that about a dozen relatives, including Barnett, were traveling to the country for a funeral.

* Faxed a forged death certificate of her daughter “Xinia Daley Herman” to school as proof of the death. The document is required if a city school employee asks for bereavement days.

Thanks to the scam, Barnett, 58, was able to spend 21/2 weeks in March 2010 — including her school-sanctioned spring break — in the tropical paradise, city investigators said.

But the fun in the sun didn’t last long.

A school official quickly grew suspicious of the death certificate because it contained “slightly different fonts which were not aligned properly,” according to a report by special schools investigator Richard Condon.

Costa Rican government officials later confirmed to a city investigator that the certificate was a fake, noting the document had identification numbers that actually corresponded to a man and had been issued in 2005.

Costa Rican officials also told the investigator it “does not issue death certificates five years prior to a person’s date of death,” according to court records.

Investigators also were able to determine that Barnett booked the tickets for her vacation more than three weeks before she left — long before she claimed her daughter croaked.

When confronted with the forgery evidence, Barnett insisted the death certificate was real and that her daughter “died of a heart condition,” investigators said.

Barnett even submitted another death certificate — this time with the month and year changed to March 2010, according to court records.

The morbid plot cost Barnett her $37,000-a-year job at the school. She also pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor over the forgery in Manhattan Criminal Court this fall, records show.

Barnett could not be reached for comment. Her lawyer declined to comment

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1002360

Damn, she got busted. Here I thought I had something to work with. Ah well, best laid plans and all that.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

She makes $37,000 a year, works in NYC, and she can AFFORD a nice vacation? How?! Clearly I am doing something rong. Maybe she should've been teaching Creative Finance. Anyway, where there's one rat you may find another, let's just say.

Also, although I am a realist and understand the need for the practice, I find it kind of depressing that you have to produce a death certificate in order for your employer to believe someone in your life died and give you a few moments to grieve.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    She makes $37,000 a year, works in NYC, and she can AFFORD a nice vacation? How?! Clearly I am doing something rong. Maybe she should've been teaching Creative Finance. Anyway, where there's one rat you may find another, let's just say.

Also, although I am a realist and understand the need for the practice, I find it kind of depressing that you have to produce a death certificate in order for your employer to believe someone in your life died and give you a few moments to grieve.
    Well, unless the employer knew how many kids she had and wanted proof on one he didn't know about. I'm just assuming here; he probably wanted to call her out on it and make her look like an ass.

My boss knows how many children I have and I know he (and everyone I work with) would certainly want proof if I told them an unknown child of mine died.

THE most loathesome of all fonts! don't get me started on the bitch I work with that uses it! I refuse to read any of her effing emails!
    Quote Originally Posted by venue_26 View Post
    Dumb bitch. She had better fucking pray that she never has to go through the actual loss of her daughter.
    karma's a bitch and I was taught you NEVER lie about your kid even being sick (let alone dying) or your vehicle having any sort of trouble because karma will bit you in the ass!
    Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    Well, unless the employer knew how many kids she had and wanted proof on one he didn't know about. I'm just assuming here; he probably wanted to call her out on it and make her look like an ass.

My boss knows how many children I have and I know he (and everyone I work with) would certainly want proof if I told them an unknown child of mine died.
    This too. My bosses know my son, his name, his age, his hobbies etc. If I said something like this, I don't know how my boss would react. Just crazy shit. I could use some time off (who couldn't?) but there is no reason on earth I'd lie about my child.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

what a stupid bitch. and i can't believe her daughter and relative were dumb enough to actually take part in this fuckery.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Thread Information