Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cop Gets Sued After Giving a Woman a Ticket, Then Asking Her Out on a Date

Default Cop Gets Sued After Giving a Woman a Ticket, Then Asking Her Out on a Date

It was adorable in Bridesmaids when the very charming Officer Nathan Rhodes met Kristin Wiig's character, Annie Walker, while pulling her over for a broken rear light. But things don't always turn out so nicely in real life, as one police officer in Stickney, Illinois, discovered the hard way.

Officer Chris Collins pulled over Evangelina Paredes in October, and gave her a speeding ticket for $132. She must have made quite an impression on him because, using motor vehicle records, he found out where she lived. Two days later, he went and left a note on the windshield of her car, which was parked outside her apartment! Here's what it said:
    It's Chris … that ugly bald Stickney cop who gave you that ticket. I know this may seem crazy and you're probably right, but truth is I have not stopped thinking about you since. I don't expect a girl as attractive as you to … even go for a guy like me, but I'm taking a shot anyways.
    He then says he'll understand if she doesn't get in touch, and he finishes off with, "But hey, I did cost you $132 - least I can do is buy you dinner." Oooh, boy. Definitely not the best way to go about things! Nevertheless, if it were a movie, she would've swooned from happiness, and they would have lived happily ever after. But in reality, Evangelina didn't find it at all appealing.

In fact, she was so upset that he'd tracked her down that she filed a lawsuit, claiming he violated her privacy and that the note caused her "to suffer great fear and anxiety." According to the suit, Paredes "could not believe that a police officer would use his access to her personal information to find her home and stalk her." She's seeking unspecified damages. Collins has yet to comment on the incident, though you can bet he's wishing he'd never rented that DVD of Bridesmaids...

Cop Gets Sued After Giving a Woman a Ticket, Then Asking Her Out on a Date

It's creepy. I don't blame her.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Actually, I find his balls rather charming. He tried. I don't think its worth getting sued over. And at least he wasn't biased in giving her a ticket just because he liked her.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

He makes poor decisions. I would be furious and feel it was abuse of power.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

fgg

i wonder if she would have felt differently if he was hot?

definitely creepy.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

eh. i don't think she should be suing him. it's not like he turned crazy stalker or anything. he asked her out once and that was it. i think the chick is blowing it out of proportion.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Gold Member

I think she's overreacting by suing, but I also think if it's true he used the database to get her address (like she is alleging) then that is an abuse of his power and he at least should be suspended. It's wrong and ethically irresponsible (and maybe illegal) for the police to use information they gain from a traffic stop or from a database for personal use.

If she felt wronged or violated, she should have reported him to his supervisor first, then if they don't respond, then take further action. But I doubt this lawsuit goes anywhere.

He got her address when she handed him her driver's license. C'mon now.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    She's saying he got her address from the database, which IF he did would be unethical (we don't know if what she says is true or not). Accessing the database is supposed to be for police investigations only, not for personal use.

If he got her info from copying it from the license, then it's a grayer issue and the lawsuit will probably be dismissed. It all depends on whom you believe.

We don't really know in this case who's lying, who's telling the truth.

Even if he did get it from the license and his copy of the ticket, it is an abuse of power. He crossed the line. I don't think he should be sued but there should be consequences.

In the last few weeks a man was arrested in the Philly area for raping women after getting their addresses from legal documents. He worked for the county sheriff or constable. The son of a bitch had been arrested 20 years ago for impersonating an officer was now working with the police department.
    Last edited by sluce; January 9th, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I'm sorry, I do not agree. One try is fine, persistent trying after being rebuffed is creepy and harassment.

Was there more than one attempt?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

It's possible, but the way the article reads, it sounds like it was just once.

I think there was just 1 attempt but it is 1 too many IMO.

Actually, I find his balls rather charming. He tried. I don't think its worth getting sued over. And at least he wasn't biased in giving her a ticket just because he liked her.
    Agreed. People are so damn sue-happy

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I'm sorry, I do not agree. One try is fine, persistent trying after being rebuffed is creepy and harassment.
    I'd be seriously freaked out if a police officer used information gained during the course of a traffic stop or via an official database to come to my home address for personal reasons. I'd also be very concerned about any repercussions if I should rebuff his advances (because he's already crossed one line) and would want an official complaint on record in case he continued with the unwanted attention.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information